Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

£3m maternity boost for Glangwili

Published

on

Screen Shot 2016-02-22 at 13.57.30FUNDING to support improvements to maternity and neonatal services at Carmarthen’s Glangwili Hospital is in the Welsh Government’s budget for 2016-17, Health and Social Services Minister Mark Drakeford said on a visit to the hospital on Thursday (Feb 4).

The Minister made the announcement during a visit to Carmarthen to see the new neonatal unit at Glangwili Hospital.

£3m has been set aside in the NHS Wales capital programme for 2016-17 to begin the second phase improvements to the neonatal and obstetric units at Glangwili Hospital, subject to the approval of plans submitted by Hywel Dda University Health Board.

The health board is expected to submit its business case for the second phase improvements early in the next financial year.

Consultant-led maternity care was concentrated and a new level two neonatal service is being developed at Glangwili Hospital following a public consultation and advice to the Minister from independent experts. A new midwife-led maternity service has been established at Withybush Hospital, in Haverfordwest.

An independent review of the changes by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health carried out a year after they were made concluded the changes were safe, sustainable in the long-term and have led to improved outcomes for mothers and babies. It made clear it would make ‘no clinical sense’ to return to the previous arrangements.

Professor Drakeford said: “I am pleased to be visiting Glangwili Hospital today to see the excellent work undertaken to transfer special care baby services from Withybush Hospital, backed by £3.8m funding from the Welsh Government.

“A year after the changes were put in place, the Royal College review tells us that these services are safe, sustainable in the long-term and, most importantly, have led to improved outcomes for mothers and babies. The review also made clear that it would make ‘no clinical sense’ to return to the previous arrangements. To ignore the experts’ views would be highly irresponsible.

“I am very pleased to announce that I have earmarked £3m to take forward the second phase of work at Glangwili Hospital, subject to an approved business case.”

Chief Executive Steve Moore responded to the announcement, saying: “We are pleased to say staff are rightly setting a high aspiration on behalf of our patients. At the same time, this has given us and the designers a challenge given the footprint of the site – but a challenge for the right reasons. We are now about to engage more widely on what is required for these services and will be gathering ideas from wider staff across our area, as well as from mothers, patients, and families using these services. This will be shared with our design team as they develop and cost some possible solutions for a business case to submit to the Welsh Government in the new financial year.”

Mr Moore took the unusual step of appointing himself as the Senior Reporting Officer for the project late last year following an independent review of services from the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, which endorsed the need to progress with Phase Two improvements to accommodation for patients and their families at Glangwili Hospital.

Mr Moore said: “It is a privilege to work so closely with our staff on such an important project and I hope it demonstrates a real commitment to them and all the communities served by Glangwili Hospital that we take the need to upgrade these services very seriously. Phase Two was always part of the programme when we moved some services from Withybush to Glangwili, but it is fair to say the health service doesn’t stand still and there is now a greater need than ever to upgrade these facilities so they allow our staff to provide optimal care and comfort to our patients. This was recognised in the recent independent clinical review of these services by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health.

“I want to thank staff – from those delivering services in Glangwilli Hospital in environments which we acknowledge need to be improved, to those in Withybush, Bronglais, and Prince Philip hospitals and in our communities. They continue to provide excellent local care in the aftermath of a significant service change. I understand that recently some frontline staff have unfairly borne the brunt of some criticism aimed at the wider organisation. The health board made the decision to make changes to the way we deliver some women and children’s services in the best interests of patients and the independent review concluded the changes were safe, sustainable in the long-term and have led to improved outcomes for our patients.

“We are entirely grateful to our staff for their input and unfailing provision of patient centred care. I hope that staff have seen the tremendous amount of positive patient experiences that are shared with us via patient compliments and on social media – we are incredibly proud of them and we look forward to further engagement with staff and users of our services. Equally, can I reassure the public, particularly those in Pembrokeshire that we continue to monitor the service change very closely to ensure we are aware of any issues and make improvements continually.

Mr Moore concluded by adding: “Anyone with concerns over their care should contact the ward manager at the time so they can be fully addressed, or we would encourage patients to share their experiences with us – good or bad – by completing a patient survey, or getting in touch with our concerns team.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Community

Carmarthenshire Archives’ new building officially opened

Published

on

ON MONDAY, November 28, Cllr Rob Evans, Chair of Carmarthenshire County Council, unveiled a specially designed plaque to commemorate the official opening of the brand new Carmarthenshire Archives building.

The official opening was attended by year 6 pupils of Ysgol Y Dderwen, along with their Headteacher Mr Dylan Evans, who designed the plaque by compiling various artwork and sketches that are housed at the Archives.

Established in 1959, Carmarthenshire Archives is the local authority archive service for the County of Carmarthenshire and the new building is located at St Peter’s Street, Carmarthen. 

The service is home to our extensive collection of historic documents that date from the 13th century to the present day. The collection includes archives, maps, books, photographs, videos and sound recordings. It is the Archives’ mission to preserve and make its documents available for general study and research.

Admission to Carmarthenshire Archives is free and open to anyone who wishes to use the Council’s records. Most of its services are free, but we do charge for some extra services and help.

Speaking at the opening ceremony, Cabinet Member for Regeneration, Leisure, Culture and Tourism, Cllr Gareth John commented:

“Congratulations to the pupils of Ysgol Y Dderwen, they have designed an excellent and appropriate plaque that is inspired by the treasure troves of our archives. It was wonderful to welcome them to the official opening so that they can see their work take pride of place at a building that holds great significance to us in Carmarthenshire. 

“This is a brand new and modern building that is fit to keep and protect our county’s most precious historical documents. 

“But of course, these documents are meant to be viewed and studied by school children, students, academics and anybody who has an interest in Carmarthenshire’s rich history; and this excellent facility provides the perfect space for people to come and view these treasures.”

Continue Reading

Business

Llandeilo gas works to begin say Wales & West Utilities

Published

on

WALES & West Utilities will shortly begin work to upgrade gas pipes in Llandeilo.

Wales & West Utilities has liaised with Carmarthenshire County Council to plan the work and it has been agreed that work will commence after the town has celebrated the Festival of Senses.

The £123,000 investment scheme, which is essential to keep the gas flowing safely to heat and power local homes and businesses, will begin in New Road on 21 November. This section of work will be complete before Christmas and Wales & West Utilities will return to the town next year to undertake further work in the Crescent Road area. Barring any engineering difficulties, work in the town will be complete by the end of February next year.

Wales & West Utilities Adam Smith is managing this gas pipe upgrade work. He said: “Working with the Council, we have planned this work to accommodate the needs of the town.

“While most of the gas network is underground and out of sight, it plays a central role in the daily lives of people across Llandeilo. Whether it’s heating your home, making the family dinner or having a hot bath, we understand how important it is for your gas supply to be safe and reliable and there when you need it.

“We know that working in areas like this is not ideal, but it really is essential to make sure we keep the gas flowing to homes and businesses in the area, and to make sure the gas network is fit for the future. We’ll have a team of gas engineers on site throughout the project to make sure our work is completed as safely and as quickly as possible while keeping disruption to a minimum.

“This work is essential to keep the gas flowing to local homes and businesses today, and to make sure the gas network is ready to transport hydrogen and biomethane, so we can all play our part in a green future.”

Our Customer Service Team is ready to take your call if you have any questions about our work. You can contact them on freephone 0800 912 2999.

Alternatively, you can contact us on Twitter @WWUtilities or Facebook.com/WWUtilities.

Wales & West Utilities, the gas emergency and pipeline service, brings energy to 7.5m people across the south west of England and Wales. If you smell gas, or suspect the presence of carbon monoxide, call us on 0800 111 999 straight away, and our engineers will be there to help any time of day or night. Before visiting, we’ll ask you to let us know if you or anyone in your household, is experiencing Coronavirus symptoms or self-isolating. We’ll still come and help you: but our teams will take some additional precautions to keep us all safe.

Continue Reading

News

Police appeal following theft of items from Home Bargains Crosshands

Published

on

OFFICERS from Dyfed Powys Police have confirmed that they are investigating the theft of items, including a Christmas Nutcracker Ornament valued at £129.99, from the Home Bargains store in Crosshands, Carmarthenshire.

The theft occurred at about 12:40pm on Tuesday, 27th September 2022.

Officers have carried out all possible lines of enquiry, and are now appealing for help from the public.

They would like to identify the people in the CCTV image, who may have information that could help the investigation.

Anyone who knows who the people are, or if you believe you are pictured, contact Dyfed-Powys Police.

This can also be done either online at: https://bit.ly/DPPContactOnline, by emailing 101@dyfed-powys.police.uk or phoning 101.

If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908.

Please quote reference DPP/2006/27/09/2022/02/C

Alternatively, contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously by calling 0800 555111, or visiting crimestoppers-uk.org.

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK