Connect with us


Success for Carmarthenshire squash development event



Screen Shot 2016-01-28 at 11.23.52

Successful event: All the competitors pictured with coaches Pete Crook, Jenny Jones and Nia Davies

CARMARTHEN SQUASH CLUB hosted a junior development event at the turn of the year, which proved to be a great success, proving that the future of squash in the county is very much in safe hands.

A total of 19 children between the age of 7 and 16 turned up to take part and burn off a few festive calories between 10.00am-4.00pm. Children from Carmarthen, Milford Haven, Narberth and Teifi attended. The children were split into 3 groups of age and ability, the first pool of 8 players competed in a tournament best of 3 games to par 11, here the crowd of supporters were treated to some fantastic close squash throughout the day with a hard fought final between eventual winner Amir Rafique & Joseph Davies both from Carmarthen.

Once the squash tournament was done it was time for a racquetball tournament for a bit of fun with no clear winner it was decided it was a pool draw. In the second and third pools there was two round robins which were one game par to 15, again we were treated to a day of great squash with Emily Gray Meads coming out top of pool 2 and Luke Jenkins Meads winning pool 3. The whole day was packed with activities with the children being able to play table tennis and badminton whist waiting for court time and these were both well used. It was also great for the competitors to see so much support for them, with a packed viewing gallery throughout the whole day.

Development events are a fantastic way to bring surrounding clubs together and an important first step in getting juniors used to competition within a non-pressure environment. But the events go far further than the squash, they bring juniors together from different clubs and throughout the day you can see the bonds building into lasting friendships, which is fantastic for all involved.

A big thank you to the comic duo, coaches Jenny Jones Carmarthen and Nia Davies, Teifi for keeping RDO Pete Crook on his toes all day with never a dull moment throughout. Thanks also go to young coach Alfie Wheeler and also to Srikar Mummidi for all their help as well as to all the parents whom it was great to see so many stay giving support throughout the day. A special thank you to Carmarthen Leisure staff for all their help and Gary Price for giving use of the courts and hall, fantastic local authority support. The day ended with all the juniors being presented a medal and certificate.

If you have any questions or feedback about the event, please contact Pembrokeshire Development Officer Pete Crook or 07809 236762.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Ammanford upset Penybont to reach MG Cup quarter finals



Report by Ian Parfitt

AMMANFORD produced arguably the shock of the third round in the MG Nathaniel Cup with a 2-1 victory at Penybont, who currently sit third in the Cymru Premier League, on Tuesday night (Sept 20).

Penybont started the game well and looked dangerous with ex Ammanford player Kai Whitmore calling the shots.

Ammanford however were also playing some neat football themselves and this was quickly becoming a competitive contest.

Ammanford took the lead in the 28th minute when Brett Enoch took advantage of a moment of calamity in the Penybont defence to fire home.

As expected Penybont increased the pressure on the Ammanford goal in search of an equaliser but Ammanford held firm to go into the interval ahead.

Kyle Marsh in particular having a fine game in the Ammanford goal. Ammanford fans would have been expecting a long 45 minutes after the break but it only took a minute for Penybont to find the equaliser, Mael Davies scoring with a firm header.

Penybont were hungry for more goals and looked especially dangerous from the flanks. The Ammanford defence, who were superb throughout held firm under a barrage of high balls into the box.

Ammanford were also keen to get a second and looked dangerous on the counter attack, both Jordan Langley and Callum Silcox going agonisingly close to restoring the visitors’ lead.

The Ammanford defence continued to form a formidable wall at the back which Penybont were unable to breach.

This fantastic rearguard action was rewarded in the 81st minute when Callum Thomas scored what turned out to be the winner for Ammanford, running through on goal and producing a composed finish to slot the ball past Penybont keeper Alex Pennock.

Ammanford players continued to put their bodies on the line to preserve the lead, epitomised by Tom Pratt who took one on the head in the six yard box.

Lee Trundle spurned a glorious chance to make the game safe for Ammanford with a couple of minutes remaining but it mattered not as the final whistle produced jubilant scenes in the away camp.

Ammanford progress to the Fourth round on what was a glorious night for the club.

Photos by Lawrence Molloy
Continue Reading


Strong Ammanford performance seals Cup win over Whitland



AMMANFORD got their Division 1 Cup campaign off to an excellent start on Saturday (Sept 17) as they beat Whitland 42-13.

Ammanford built up a 17-3 lead and increased that further to 8-29 before pulling away in the closing stages.

Geraint Jones scored a penalty for Whitland and unconverted tries from Gino Setaro and Lewis Gibby followed.

Captain Alex Davies was named as Ammanford’s man of the match as he lead his side to a bonus point win.

The scrum half was among the try scorers as were Morgan Plimmer, Rhodri Jones, Liam Smith, Carwyn Richards, Mathew Lemon and Tiaan Evans.

Ryan Williams added four conversions and one penalty for the visitors.

The next round of Cup fixtures is scheduled for October 15. Ammanford host Newcastle Emlyn while Whitland travel to Tondu.

Ammanford return to action in League 1 West Central on Saturday, September 24 as they host Birchgrove.

Whitland are also back in league action in League 1 West as they visit Pembroke.

Continue Reading


Howell’s strike takes the points for Cwm



CWMAMMAN United earned their first three points of the season with an impressive all round performance as they overcame Cardiff Darconians through a sublime Gwion Howell finish at Grenig park on Saturday (Sept 17).

Cwm started on the front foot and their passing and movement was excellent and they twice came close early with Gwion Howell clipping the outside of the post while Sion Dafydd Williams pounced on a back pass but could just not quite get enough leverage on his attempt.

They then saw a 25th min goal by Williams ruled out for a tight offside. With Charlie Davies and Scott Jewell having strong games in the middle of the park Cwm looked the likeliest to score but there was a real scare when a defensive slip required a superb save from Kai Rees in the Cwm goal to keep it goalless.

Kyle Ashford and Keiran Richards continued to run hard at the Dracs defence causing problems but the first half remained goalless.

The strong second half push back that Cwm expected from the Cardiff side didn’t materialise and Cwm continued to have the better of the play. Grant Rees and Callum Dougal were strong at the heart of the defence while Leon Coucher and the ever threatening Cory Saunders were launching attacks from out wide.

Eventually the goal came when some neat interplay saw Howell with his back to goal and the ball at his feet. A superb turn moved the ball to one side and he then fired it across the keeper to the opposite corner..

Great celebrations before Cwm immediately settled determined to see this one through. With Davies continuing to push his team forward and subs Alex Giardelli and Harrison Thomas stretching the Dracs side Cwm saw it through without too much worry.

An excellent performance of which manager Paul Lewis said: “Great to get that first win with the boys who applied our team plan superbly today and they really deserved that result.”

Cwm now look forward to another challenge as they travel to play near neighbours Garden village on Friday evening (Sept 23).

Continue Reading