Connect with us


Major end Old Gold’s unbeaten run



CARMARTHEN Town suffered a narrow defeat against current Cymru South League leaders Llantwit Major after a keenly fought contest which not only ended Town’s impressive unbeaten run of 17 matches but also realistically ended any remote prospect of them securing promotion at the end of the season.

The match began with a strong wind blowing down the length of the pitch and in the early stages both teams struggled to deal with these conditions as passes and crosses were frequently blown off course ensuring that very little productive cohesive attacking play arose.

However eventually, on 14 minutes, the home side managed to breach Town’s defence when a fine pass from the midfield set Conner Goldsworth racing along the left flank to reach the corner of the penalty area – he then struck a crisp angled drive only to see Carmarthen goal-keeper Ifan Knott advance swiftly from his goal and, at full length, turn the ball around the post.

It was not until the 16th minute that the Old Gold, facing the strong wind, produced their first notable goal threat when Liam Thomas raced to the edge of the penalty area and from a sharp angle he fired the ball towards the goalmouth – however, before Ben Steele could react to the close-range scoring opportunity goal-keeper Adam Caswell was quickly down to claim the ball.

Then on 19 minutes Tom Walters released a speculative 20 yard volley that Knott, at full-length, turned around the post.

However, in the 30th minute Llantwit took the lead when Goldsworth was allowed to make a long diagonal cross-field run, unchallenged by any Old Gold defender, to reach the corner of the penalty area before dispatching a fierce low drive beyond Knott’s reach and into the far corner of the net.

Carmarthen, stunned by that setback, straightaway poured forward in search of an early equaliser. On 44 minutes Greg Walters embarked on a typically determined run through the midfield before sending the ball forward to Steele – he in turn crossed it into the goalmouth where Tom Dyson, crowded by defenders, sent his close-range header narrowly wide of the near post.

Then moments later Adam John sent a corner-kick into the packed goalmouth where Lee Surman, rising above defenders, sent his powerful header marginally too high.

After the interval Town immediately resumed their efforts to get back on level terms. On 55 minutes Thomas sent a fine cross-field pass into the penalty area to reach Steele who saw his smart 15 yard volley fly narrowly over the bar.

Then in the 61st minute, following a corner-kick, John from the wide edge of the penalty area crossed the ball into the goalmouth only for Surman to send his header marginally over the bar.

The Old Gold were now enjoying a greater share of possession and playing far better than in the first-half.

But while they were putting the home defence under pressure, Town were able to create just a few scoring chances – and of those only once, a stunning 20 yard drive from John on 74 minutes, was ‘keeper Caswell seriously tested.

Carmarthen, commendably, maintained that pressure until the final whistle but Llantwit, perhaps demonstrating why they have remained at or near the top of the League all season, remained unmoved.

Town’s next fixture is against old rivals Llanelli on Saturday, March 12 (k/o 2.30 pm) at Richmond Park.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Ammanford upset Penybont to reach MG Cup quarter finals



Report by Ian Parfitt

AMMANFORD produced arguably the shock of the third round in the MG Nathaniel Cup with a 2-1 victory at Penybont, who currently sit third in the Cymru Premier League, on Tuesday night (Sept 20).

Penybont started the game well and looked dangerous with ex Ammanford player Kai Whitmore calling the shots.

Ammanford however were also playing some neat football themselves and this was quickly becoming a competitive contest.

Ammanford took the lead in the 28th minute when Brett Enoch took advantage of a moment of calamity in the Penybont defence to fire home.

As expected Penybont increased the pressure on the Ammanford goal in search of an equaliser but Ammanford held firm to go into the interval ahead.

Kyle Marsh in particular having a fine game in the Ammanford goal. Ammanford fans would have been expecting a long 45 minutes after the break but it only took a minute for Penybont to find the equaliser, Mael Davies scoring with a firm header.

Penybont were hungry for more goals and looked especially dangerous from the flanks. The Ammanford defence, who were superb throughout held firm under a barrage of high balls into the box.

Ammanford were also keen to get a second and looked dangerous on the counter attack, both Jordan Langley and Callum Silcox going agonisingly close to restoring the visitors’ lead.

The Ammanford defence continued to form a formidable wall at the back which Penybont were unable to breach.

This fantastic rearguard action was rewarded in the 81st minute when Callum Thomas scored what turned out to be the winner for Ammanford, running through on goal and producing a composed finish to slot the ball past Penybont keeper Alex Pennock.

Ammanford players continued to put their bodies on the line to preserve the lead, epitomised by Tom Pratt who took one on the head in the six yard box.

Lee Trundle spurned a glorious chance to make the game safe for Ammanford with a couple of minutes remaining but it mattered not as the final whistle produced jubilant scenes in the away camp.

Ammanford progress to the Fourth round on what was a glorious night for the club.

Photos by Lawrence Molloy
Continue Reading


Strong Ammanford performance seals Cup win over Whitland



AMMANFORD got their Division 1 Cup campaign off to an excellent start on Saturday (Sept 17) as they beat Whitland 42-13.

Ammanford built up a 17-3 lead and increased that further to 8-29 before pulling away in the closing stages.

Geraint Jones scored a penalty for Whitland and unconverted tries from Gino Setaro and Lewis Gibby followed.

Captain Alex Davies was named as Ammanford’s man of the match as he lead his side to a bonus point win.

The scrum half was among the try scorers as were Morgan Plimmer, Rhodri Jones, Liam Smith, Carwyn Richards, Mathew Lemon and Tiaan Evans.

Ryan Williams added four conversions and one penalty for the visitors.

The next round of Cup fixtures is scheduled for October 15. Ammanford host Newcastle Emlyn while Whitland travel to Tondu.

Ammanford return to action in League 1 West Central on Saturday, September 24 as they host Birchgrove.

Whitland are also back in league action in League 1 West as they visit Pembroke.

Continue Reading


Howell’s strike takes the points for Cwm



CWMAMMAN United earned their first three points of the season with an impressive all round performance as they overcame Cardiff Darconians through a sublime Gwion Howell finish at Grenig park on Saturday (Sept 17).

Cwm started on the front foot and their passing and movement was excellent and they twice came close early with Gwion Howell clipping the outside of the post while Sion Dafydd Williams pounced on a back pass but could just not quite get enough leverage on his attempt.

They then saw a 25th min goal by Williams ruled out for a tight offside. With Charlie Davies and Scott Jewell having strong games in the middle of the park Cwm looked the likeliest to score but there was a real scare when a defensive slip required a superb save from Kai Rees in the Cwm goal to keep it goalless.

Kyle Ashford and Keiran Richards continued to run hard at the Dracs defence causing problems but the first half remained goalless.

The strong second half push back that Cwm expected from the Cardiff side didn’t materialise and Cwm continued to have the better of the play. Grant Rees and Callum Dougal were strong at the heart of the defence while Leon Coucher and the ever threatening Cory Saunders were launching attacks from out wide.

Eventually the goal came when some neat interplay saw Howell with his back to goal and the ball at his feet. A superb turn moved the ball to one side and he then fired it across the keeper to the opposite corner..

Great celebrations before Cwm immediately settled determined to see this one through. With Davies continuing to push his team forward and subs Alex Giardelli and Harrison Thomas stretching the Dracs side Cwm saw it through without too much worry.

An excellent performance of which manager Paul Lewis said: “Great to get that first win with the boys who applied our team plan superbly today and they really deserved that result.”

Cwm now look forward to another challenge as they travel to play near neighbours Garden village on Friday evening (Sept 23).

Continue Reading