Connect with us


Old Gold earn a point to preserve unbeaten run



CARMARTHEN TOWN extended their remarkable unbeaten sequence in the Cymru South League to 16 matches – however for frequent periods, particularly during the first-half, that outcome seemed unlikely as Briton Ferry, who have occupied a high League placing all season, put the Old Gold defence under serious pressure.

Right from the start the hosts poured forward with a series of penetrating raids and they went close to taking the lead after only 2 minutes when a long throw-in landed in the crowded goalmouth where Adam Robbins saw his close-range shot blocked impressively by goal-keeper Ifan Knott – while the loose ball fell nicely for former Town striker Luke Bowen, his volley struck the bar and the ball was cleared to safety.

Then on 5 minutes a fine through-ball set Gavin Jones racing through the visitors’ defensive back-line and into the penalty area but Knott was quickly out of his goal and bravely dived down at the striker’s feet and claimed the ball.

But shortly afterwards the young ‘keeper was powerless to prevent Briton Ferry taking the lead when, in the 11th minute, a fine pass from Ross Jones set Tyler Brock racing clear into the penalty area and from 15 yards he fired the ball past Knott and into the net.

Stunned by that setback the Old Gold began to press forward with greater urgency as midfielders Greg Walters, Matthew Delaney, Kieran Howard and Tom Dyson sought opportunities for strikers Liam Thomas and Adam John to pursue – gradually the focus of activity began to shift further upfield into the hosts’ half of the pitch.

Despite this welcome spell of pressure from Town, which led to frequent activity in and around the home penalty area, they were rarely able to penetrate the Briton Ferry defence in any meaningful way and ‘keeper Conah McFenton was never seriously stretched.

Indeed, with the Old Gold now playing with more freedom further up the field occasional opportunities for counter-attacks began to open up for the home side and on 32 minutes they went close to extending their lead – from a corner-kick Bowen produced a strong close-range header only to see Knott respond with a superb reaction save and punch the ball aside.

After the interval Town quickly took the initiative and put the hosts under sustained pressure. The first significant moment arose on 53 minutes when Walters sent a measured pass forward to half-time substitute Ben Steele who from just inside the penalty area struck his crisp drive narrowly wide of the post. Then moments later Dyson released a stunning long-range shot that McFenton resisted with a flying full-length save.

The Old Gold continued to stretch and probe the home defence and again went close to drawing level in the 74th minute when Thomas threaded a fine pass through to John who saw his promising angled 15 yard drive turned aside by McFenton.

Then after 78 minutes Knott sent a huge clearance from his own penalty area almost the length of the pitch to reach Thomas only for Town’s prolific striker to be robbed of possession of the ball by McFenton on the edge of his penalty area.

However at last in the 81st minute Carmarthen were rewarded for their impressive second-half performance. Thomas burst dangerously into the penalty area only to be promptly brought down – equally promptly the referee awarded a penalty which Town’s all-time top goal-scorer, with his customary composure and accuracy, drove past McFenton and into the back of the net.

Unsurprisingly Briton Ferry poured forward in search of a late goal to restore their lead. However the Old Gold simply responded by defending soundly and comfortably protected the match point which, on the overall balance of the play, they rightly deserved.

Carmarthen’s next fixture is on February 26 away against Swansea University (k/o 2.30pm). Of course the reverse fixture at Richmond Park way back on August 28 saw Town’s first League win of the season and began the ongoing impressive unbeaten run.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Mumbles win well against Ammanford seconds



AMMANFORD seconds suffered a heavy 125 run defeat at the hands of Mumbles at Marespool.

Winning the toss, Ammanford invited Mumbles to bat first, and a terrific 188 run partnership for the second wicket, featuring Ben Jones (94) and Stuart Seaton (77), helped the home team to a healthy 221 for 4 in 45 overs.

Several Ammanford batsmen got into double figures but none were able to stay long enough to make any impression on the run chase. Eirian Morgan top-scored with 25, but the Ammanford innings finished disappointingly on 96 all out.

Gethin Morgan and Phil Roche each took three wickets for Mumbles.

Thirds beaten by Landore

Ammanford thirds travelled to Landore only to lose their match by 50 runs.

Ammanford skipper Carl Griffiths put Landore in to bat, and the home team scored 148 for 9. Landore
skipper Terry Summerfield top-scored with 33.

Ammanford’s Tom Davies was chief wicket-taker with 4 for 38.

Despite a solid 30 from opener and man-of-the-match Tom Davies, Ammanford failed to get anywhere near the required target and folded their innings on 98 inside 34 overs.

The defeat dropped them out of the top half of division six on the SWCA.

Continue Reading


Cwmamman United Juniors host end of season event



CWMAMMAN United juniors held their end of season event at Clwb Godre’r Mynydd Ddu Glanamman.

As they celebrated throughout the day with their different age groups from Under 6 to Under 14 it looked as if almost every child in the Cwm had attended at some point.

The Juniors section at the club has grown to around 150 children over the last couple of years and with a dedicated and enthusiastic group of committee, coaches and volunteers behind them the club is excitedly anticipating further growth.

A fantastic time was had by all with all age groups proudly having their moment in the sun.

Robert Griffiths the Clubs Junior Chairman said: “I have to thank all our fantastic people at the club that get the kids out playing whether sorting games, coaching, fund raising or organising events such as our club parties and awards such as these.

“We continiue to grow and if your child would like to be part of a safe, healthy and fun environment they are most welcome here.”

Continue Reading


Depleted Ammanford beaten by seven wickets



A DEPLETED Ammanford lost by seven wickets to Bridgend Town in a rain affected match at windswept Newbridge Fields on Satuday (Jun 25).

With the start delayed by over an hour because of rain, the match was reduced to 39 overs before a ball was bowled, and the toss immediately became the crucial factor in deciding the game’s outcome.

Bridgend won it and, predictably enough, put Ammanford in to bat.

The writing was on the wall as the visitors lost two wickets for 9 runs on an unpredictable wicket which was one of the first bowler-friendly tracks encountered this season.

Only four batters reached double figures as wickets fell at regular intervals. Top scorer was 14 year old wicket-keeper Gruffudd Owen (19no) who took the game to the visitors and looked capable of scoring many more had he not run out of partners.

Ammanford were all out for 90 inside 30 overs.

Tea was taken early as more heavy rain swept across Newbridge Fields, but unfortunately for Ammanford the sun made a reappearance and play eventually resumed.

The Bridgend batters did not have it all their own way, quickly losing both openers to opening bowler Owen Davies.

Davies removed a further wicket in a good spell of 3 for 15, but Thomas Cogbill (43no) and Luke Humphries (18) saw Bridgend safely home without further trouble inside 24 overs.

Next week, Ammanford welcome second placed Swansea to the Park, the memory of their 700+ run clash at St Helen’s still fresh in their minds.

Thirds beat Pontardawe by a single run

Ammanford thirds beat Pontardawe by a single run in a rain adjusted match at the Rec.

Batting first, Ammanford reached 132 all out, thanks mainly to their captain Carl Griffiths (41) and Dafydd Wyn Jones (21).

Rain meant that Pontardawe’s reply was restricted to just 16 overs, during which they had to score 53 runs.

They came very close, but two wickets each from Oliver Pallot and Iwan Matthews interrupted their progress and they fell short by a single run, finishing on 51 for 5.

The victory moved Ammanford into the top half of SWCA’s Division 6.

Continue Reading