Connect with us


Old Gold earn a point at Cambrian



CARMARTHEN Town, starting their first game in five weeks due to the latest pandemic lockdown, began brightly enough with Adam John causing problems for the home defence with some neat footwork which nearly produced an early goal in the 5th minute when his cross was neatly plucked out of the air by home ‘keeper Cameran Clarke just before Liam Thomas was about to pounce.

Cambrian’s tactics were based on the long-ball approach and accompanied with some heavy, robust tackling which resulted in several free kicks being awarded to the Old Gold.  But it was from open play that they created their first notable scoring chance on 10 minutes when Matthew Delaney sent a diagonal cross into the penalty area and saw the effervescent top scorer Thomas glance a header just over the crossbar.

Then, in the 15th minute, great work by Delaney led to Jordan Vickers firing a 20 yard drive that cannoned off the bar.

Soon afterwards the hosts produced their first scoring opportunity when ex-Merthyr player Ryan Prosser forced his way through but fired well over the bar from the edge of the penalty area.

Then, in the 20th minute, a loose pass from Scott Tancock almost let Prosser through but he recovered well and managed to dispossess the frontman with consummate ease.

The game was developing into a midfield tussle with Town too often treating the ball like a hot potato but with the home team imposing themselves with some dubious tackling this was understandable.

It was the defensive unit of Vickers, Tancock, Lee Surman and Trystan Jones that gave the visitors a springboard to launch their attacks as they capably held the Cambrian forays.  And behind them seventeen year-old goalkeeper Ifan Knott, making his League debut, belied his youthfulness when he confidently claimed a free-kick fired deep into the penalty area.

On 30 minutes a controversial incident arose when Tom Dyson set Liam Thomas racing through into towards the penalty area only to be brought down by the last defender, Dai Thomas, who was only shown a yellow card much to Town’s frustration – from the resulting free-kick Vickers saw his low shot avoid the defensive “wall” only for Clarke to complete a neat save.

In the 40th minute a cross from Delaney saw Thomas lay off a deft header into the path of the effervescent Greg Walters who struck a low drive that flew narrowly wide of the post with Clarke stranded.

Then just before half-time the hosts nearly broke the deadlock when a cross from Craig Wilcox was met on the volley by Liam Reed but the ball flashed wide of the post.

However early in the second-half Cambrian managed to edge themselves in front when on 49 minutes when they were awarded a free-kick out on the right flank – the ball was floated into the goalmouth and partially cleared but it ffell nicely for Prosser who, from 8 yards, gave Knott no chance with his driven shot.

Yet another controversial incident occurred in the 51st minute when Knott, in clearing a back-pass, was seriously injured as a result of a very late and dangerously high tackle by Chris O’Sullivan – again the punishment, a yellow card, seemed extremely lenient.  After a lengthy delay for treatment to his injury Knott was forced to leave the field and substitute striker Ben Steele came off the bench and took over in goal.

For the remainder of the match Town’s defenders stood up to protect Steele whenever the ball was in the goal area and although they managed well to keep crosses and shots away from him Steele coped capably throughout.

The introduction of Bradley Gibbings in the 65th minute spiced up Carmarthen’s attack with immediate effect as his darting runs often caused panic in the home defence and in the latter stages they led to several decent scoring opportunities.

On 75 minutes Noah Daley, after being put through by Dyson, held off several defenders but his shot was easily held by Clarke.

Moments later Thomas broke down the left flank then sent a fine cross into the goalmouth where Gibbings struck a fierce shot that crashed against the underside of the bar before the ball was hastily cleared to safety.

But the young striker made amends in the 82nd minute when after receiving a pass from Walters he twisted past two defenders before driving the ball past the stranded ‘keeper albeit with the help of a slight deflection.

Substitute Sean Pemberton made a late appearance to make his debut for the Old Gold after his transfer from Haverfordwest and looked very comfortable in an unfamiliar role in central midfield.

This was a thoroughly deserved point for Town whose strength of character shone through despite facing some very physical challenges throughout the game. 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Canolfan Carwyn Sports Centre and Brynamman Lido to be transferred to a community groups



A MULTI- SPORTS facility, at the heart of the Gwendraeth Valley, has been taken over by a local sports group, the Baton Twirlers.

The management of Canolfan Carwyn Sports Centre, which is owned by Carmarthenshire County, has been transferred to the Baton Twirlers Association Cymru (BTAC) via a lease agreement and will allow the public to continue to use the facilities at the centre.

Whilst Canolfan Carwyn Sports Centre is now the official home of BTAC its facilities are available for the local community and sports groups to be used.

An official reopening of the Centre, which bears the name of one of the Gwendraeth Valley’s most famous sons, under the new management of the BTAC was held on Sunday, October 2.

Speaking at the event, Jessica Shore Director of the Baton Twirlers Association Cymru (BTAC) said:

“We are thrilled to have worked with Carmarthenshire County Council to secure this sports centre on behalf of the local community and it’s a pleasure to welcome the public here today. We are looking forward to working with and hosting various community and sports groups at the Carwyn James Sports Centre.

“It also was very important to us to provide a home for baton twirling in Wales, and we will make great use of the excellent facilities here.”

Cllr. Gareth John, Cabinet Member for Regeneration, Leisure, Culture and Tourism said “This is a great success story for the BTAC, the Gwendraeth Valley and the council as we have secured the future of the Carwyn James Sports Centre for the local community.

I would like to thank Baton Twirlers Association Cymru for their work and enthusiasm during the process of transferring management of the Sports Centre to them, as a community group, and I wish them the very best for the future.”

Plans approved to transfer management of Brynamman Lido

On Monday, October 3, the council’s Cabinet approved plans to lease the Brynamman Lido, which is held in trust by the Carmarthenshire County Council, to Brynamman Lido Limited under its asset transfer programme.

Under the proposed lease, Brynamman Lido Limited will take over the management of the lido with the intention to reopen the swimming pool for sporting, recreational and leisure activities.

Following the approval of the plans by the Cabinet, Cllr. Gareth John commented:

“We are pleased to be working with the local group in Brynamman to transfer the management and maintenance of the lido to the community.

“The transfer of this asset will allow Brynamman Lido Ltd to apply for funding via grants that would not be available to the County Council, and we will continue to work with them and provide support along the journey to reopening the lido to the community.”

Continue Reading


Latest recruit to Llandeilo’s Ashmole & Co team ‘converts’ his spare time into being a rugby referee



Ashmole & Co have scored a try with their newest Trainee Accountant. The firm is delighted to announce that Aled Jones has recently started working for the successful accountancy team in the Llandeilo office.

Aled, who lives in Pontyberem, is a community rugby referee in his spare time. He referees senior rugby games on Saturdays and Junior rugby games on Sundays including cup matches. He is also involved in the Scarlets Cup Final at Parc y Scarlets and the Carmarthenshire cup finals.

Before joining Ashmole & Co Aled was a Personal Banker with Barclays Bank for five years. He studied AAT Level three at Coleg Sir Gar. Aled went to primary school in Pontyberem and secondary school in Ysgol y Gwendraeth.

Day to day with Ashmole & Co, Aled prepares and inputs clients’ sales and purchase invoices onto the accounting software; completes clients’ VAT returns and assists senior members of the team with the preparation of accounts. The most rewarding part of the job for Aled is hearing that the clients are happy.

Welcoming Aled to the team, Ceri Llwyd, Partner in the Llandeilo Ashmole & Co office, said, “We are delighted that Aled has joined our team in Carmarthenshire. He has fitted in well and is a pleasure to work with. I’ve told my rugby mad sons that they have to behave now when they play rugby on a Sunday in case Aled is their referee! It is great that he gives up his spare time to help local rugby clubs in this way.”
[More follows…]

Aled said, “I am grateful to Ashmole and Co, who are one of the most established and largest teams of chartered, certified accountants and auditors in south and west Wales, to give me this opportunity.”

Ashmole & Co offer financial support to a significant number of junior and professional sports teams across south Wales. The Llandeilo office has recently shown its support to Llandeilo RFC by contributing towards new tops for the juniors.

Ceri added, “As a rural firm that works with businesses in the area it is a pleasure for us to be able to lend our support to local sports teams.”

Continue Reading


Llangennech prove too strong for Penclawdd



LLANGENNECH earned their fourth win in as many matches on Saturday (Oct 22) as they beat Penclawdd 38-10.

Jordan Saunders got the scoring underway with the first try of the game and Thomas Davies added the extras.

Penclawdd then levelled the scoring with a try from Daniel John Guarneri and Marcus Brown added the extras.

It remained 7-7 until half time with conditions proving tricky for both sides.

In the second half, Aaron Howles got the try to put Llangennech ahead but the conversion was missed.

Joseph Hutchings then extended the visitors’ lead with their third try and Davies added the extras to take the score to 7-19.

Penclawdd then responded with a penalty from Brown as the home side looked to get back into the game.

However, Llangennech soon had their fourth try and a bonus point as Howles touched down for his second try of the game and Davies added the extras.

Louis Rees then scored an unconverted try before replacement Hefin Jones went over for Llangennech’s sixth try, converted by Davies.

On Saturday, October 29, Penclawdd travel to Aberystwyth for their second game in the Division 1 Cup.

Continue Reading