Connect with us


Quins fight back to beat Llanelli



CARMARTHEN Quins fought back from a first half deficit as they beat Llanelli 30-13 in the Indigo Premiership on Thursday night (Dec 16).

Liam Hutchings put Llanelli ahead after two minutes with the first try of the game and Ioan Hughes added the extras.

Three minutes later the Quins got their first points of the game as Jac Wilson landed a penalty.

Hughes then added a penalty in the thirteenth minute to extend Llanelli’s lead to 10-3.

Both sides battled away before the next score came on the stroke of half time when Hughes added another penalty.

It gave the visitors a 13-3 lead at the break and they looked to hold on to that at the start of the second half.

Their cause was not helped though when Tom Zoogah was shown a yellow card.

The Quins eventually got their first try of the game just before the hour mark as Morgan Griffiths went over and Steff Marshall added the extras.

Two minutes later Rhodri Davies went over to put the Quins ahead but Marshall missed the conversion.

Dale Ford then scored Carmarthen’s third try of the game and although Marshall missed the conversion the home side held a 20-13 lead.

Marshall then added a penalty to take give the Quins a ten point lead.

With two minutes to go Griffiths grabbed his second try to give the Quins a bonus point and Marshall added the extras.

That gave the home side a 30-13 scoreline as they picked up their first win of the league season.

The Quins’ game with Llandovery on Boxing Day and Llanelli’s game at Swansea have both been postponed following Welsh Government’s announcement that sporting events would be held behind closed doors.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Ammanford return with win over Port Talbot



A CROWD in excess of 300 plus turned out to watch Ammanford AFC take on the Steelmen of Port Talbot Town in the resumption of the JD Cymru South league after the easing of restrictions by the Welsh government.

It was a very chilly Recreation Ground and hot drinks were very much in demand on Friday evening (Jan 21) under the lights.

Ammanford AFC faced a very different Port Talbot Town team to the one they inflicted a heavy defeat earlier in the season.

Port Talbot Town had added more steel to their team and were determined to give a good account of themselves in this return fixture.

The first half was very much an evenly fought contest with Port Talbot Town’s centre back Joel Queni marshalling his defence whilst Captain Lewis Robinson was trying to match up to Ammanford’s Anthony Finselbach.

Port Talbot’s Ryan Garland came close to opening the scoring in this game but placed his effort over the bar.

However it was Ammanford who got the break through in the 32nd minute when Richard Lewis burst forward from full back and latched onto a through ball pass played into the heart of the Port Talbot penalty area. Lewis was clear of the defence and flicked the ball passed the advancing goalkeeper into the net. 1-0.

The first half ended with Ammanford holding a slender advantage.

The second half saw Ammanford more on the front foot and pushing on for the second goal. It eventually came when Ammanford’s Captain Lee Trundle played in fellow striker Tristan Jenkins in on goal and he slotted his effort passed Port Talbot’s goalkeeper Elisangelo Queni to double his team’s lead 2-0.

The game was wrapped up in the 63rd minute when Ammanford’s Brett Enoch played team mate Mathew Fisher in on goal and he placed his shot into the Steelmen’s net to make it 3-0.

The Steelmen never gave up to their credit but it was Ammanford who claimed the deserved win at the final whistle.

Continue Reading


Hendy hold off Whitland to earn third win



HENDY earned their third win of the season on Saturday (Jan 15) as they beat Whitland 22-15 in League 1 West.

A strong first half from the home side saw them take a 17-5 lead into the break.

Liam Evans, Ben Batcup, Josh Davies and Dean Courtney all scored tries for Hendy while Rhydian Morris added the extras with the boot.

Whitland hit back in the second half and brought themselves back to within one score (try) of their opponents.

They came close but Hendy held on and the win sees them move up to fourth place in the table.

Whitland picked up a losing bonus point for their efforts and they now sit seventh in the table.

The sides are next in action on Saturday, January 29, when Whitland host Penclawdd while Hendy travel to Pembroke.

Continue Reading


Athletic prove too strong for Bont



CARMARTHEN ATHLETIC remain top of League 2 West after they beat Pontyberem 39-11 away from home on Saturday (Jan 15).

Gethin Phillips, Iestyn Richards, Morgan Morse, Logan Davies and James Newnian all scored tries for the Athletic.

Tom Gravell added four conversions and two penalties as they secured their fifth win in six games.

Tom Lloyd scored Pontyberem’s only try of the game with the rest of the points coming from Dominic Sauro who scored a penalty and a drop goal.

On Saturday, January 22, Carmarthen Athletic are at home against Tycroes.

Pontyberem’s next game is set for January 29 when they travel to Tenby United.

Continue Reading