Connect with us


Old Gold beat Newtown on penalties in Welsh Cup



Newtown 1-1 Carmarthen Town (Carmarthen win on penalties 5-4)

CARMARTHEN TOWN produced a stunning performance over 90 minutes to contain Welsh Premier League side Newtown at Latham Park before dispatching five perfect penalty kicks to secure their place in Round 4 of the Welsh Cup and delight their band of loyal travelling fans.      

Yet the signs of this match possibly ending in an upset for the home side were clear from the outset when within 2 minutes of the kick-off the Old Gold took the lead with a well-crafted move that opened up the Newtown defence. 

From just inside his own half Greg Walters sent the ball out to the left-wing where Tom Dyson sprinted forward before firing an impressive cross-field pass that reached Dion Phillips near the corner of the penalty area – he then drove the ball across the goalmouth, beyond the reach of ‘keeper Dave Jones and into the far side of the goal.

The Robins, stung by that early setback, immediately poured forward and put Town’s defence under noticeable pressure – yet their back-four, well organised by experienced defenders Lee Surman and Scott Hancock, looked sound and secure.

The only scare for the Old Gold in those early stages arose after 12 minutes when David Cotterill sent a corner-kick into a packed goalmouth where Aaron Williams connected with a close-range header which struck the far post before the ball was cleared to safety.

Newtown continued to largely dominate possession but for a long spell the activity was confined to the midfield where Town were able to compete impressively due to the industry and vision of Walters, Dyson and Cameron Berry along with frequent support from wide defenders Matthew Delaney and Trystan Jones.                                                                                 

However, eventually the Robins’ pressure led to several goalmouth incidents which seriously stretched the Old Gold defence.

On 23 minutes James Rowland struck a fierce long-range drive which defeated James but struck the post and while the loose ball rolled dangerously along the goal-line, Delaney was quickest to react and clear it away.

Then in the 34th minute Cotterill struck a 20 yard free-kick that James could only block – thankfully Ben Steele was alert to the danger and cleared the loose ball away from the goal to safety.

This late first-half siege on the visitors’ goal then finished moments later when Williams sent an inviting free-kick into the crowded penalty area where Rowland hit a close-range shot that James, showing quick reactions alongside his safe handling under pressure, turned aside.

After the interval the play was confined to the midfield with neither side seemingly able to penetrate the opposition defence.

However on 58 minutes Callum Roberts made a strong run along the left-wing before sending a fine cross into the goalmouth only for Williams to produce a weak shot which James easily claimed.

Even so, the Robins’ pressure was growing as they increasingly maintained possession and forced the Old Gold to defend in depth.  And in the 66th minute they won a penalty after Williams raced towards the goal and was promptly brought down by Walters with a clumsy challenge. Williams himself comfortably dispatched the penalty to bring the scores level.

Newtown promptly poured forward no doubt sensing the opportunity to quickly take the lead.  On 85 minutes Williams, from the wide edge of the penalty area, crossed the ball into the goalmouth where Fumpa Mwandwe, in clear space, contrived to send his header over the bar.

Moments later Mwandwe, from 20 yards, dispatched a low drive which defeated James but struck the base of the near post – remarkably the ball rolled along the goal-line before it was then cleared to safety.

Yet with the Robins intent on securing a winning goal they were vulnerable to a counter-attack and on 89 minutes Steele raced into the penalty area only to fire his sharp drive too close to Jones who comfortably blocked the ball.

Straightaway another chance arose when Noah Daley received the ball on the edge of the penalty area but his shot was poor and easily claimed by Jones.

Then, deep into added time Liam Thomas sprinted along the left flank before crossing the ball to the edge of the penalty area where Daley once again produced a weak shot that Jones effortlessly held. 

So, under new regulations, the match went straight into a penalty shoot-out:

For the first penalty Carmarthen’s Ben Steele scored but for Newtown Nick Rushton’s shot was spectacularly saved by Scott James.

Second penalty: Carmarthen’s Matthew Delaney and Newtown’s David Cotterill both scored.

Third penalty: Carmarthen’s Tom Dyson and Newtown’s Aaron Williams both scored.

Fourth penalty: Carmarthen’s Liam Thomas and Newtown’s Crag Williams both scored.

Fifth penalty: Carmarthen’s Noah Daley scored and Newtown’s was redundant.

And at that point Town’s players, coaching staff and their faithful travelling supporters went crazy with excitement and relief.

Carmarthen’s next fixture is away against Goytre United on Friday, October 1, k/o 7.30pm, while the following match is also away at Undy Athletic on Saturday, October 9, k/o 2.30pm – both are Cymru South League matches.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Cambrian edge Ammanford in seven-goal thriller



CAMBRIAN and Clydach manager Scott Young was delighted to see his side come away from Ammanford with a thrilling 4-3 on Friday night (Oct 22).

In contrast the home side and their support will be very disappointed at least not to have come away with something from this game.

Ammanford got off to the perfect start after nine minutes when Ammanford’s midfielder Kai Whitmore broke free of his markers and slotted the ball wide of Cambrian & Clydach’s goalkeeper Jack Jenkins to give his team an early 1-0 lead.

The visitors responded well and started to pass the ball around the park and were causing problems for the home defence.

With twenty-nine minutes played, the visitors’ pressure on the Ammanford defence paid dividends and it was Cambrian & Clydach’s tall centre forward Ryan Prosser who rifled his powerful low shot into the Ammanford net despite a desperate diving attempt from Ammanford’s goalkeeper Craig Morris.

Cambrian & Clydach continued to press high but there were no further goals in the first half.

The second half saw Gruffydd Harrison Ammanford’s Manager make an early substitution by bringing on Brett Enoch in place of midfielder Dale Jones.

With an hour gone Cambrian & Clydach’s impressive wide-man Liam Reed beat the Ammanford defence and gave his team the lead by scoring a well-taken goal.

Ammanford’s response was almost immediate, in fact just four minutes later, as sub Enoch got himself free wide on the left hand side close to the visitors byline and took the ball into the eighteen-yard box and unleashed a low drive which sped into the bottom corner at the far post of the visitors net to restore parity at 2-2.

The home side were now looking to press on but the visitors were also not settling for a point and continued to press Ammanford as both their full backs Joe Thomas and Jay Woodford kept a high line and attacked at every opportunity.

After seventy-six minutes played a scramble in the Ammanford area saw Cambrian & Clydach’s centre back Connor Young score from close range as the ball seem to take a couple of deflections on its way into the Ammanford net.

Ammanford were left chasing the game and with three added minutes after the ninety, Ammanford were awarded a free kick some twenty four yards out from goal.

Lee Trundle stood over the ball as the visitors’ wall lined up to stop his attempt at goal. Trundle took aim and his low powerful shot went directly under the defensive wall and sped past keeper Jack Jenkins hitting the back of the net.

Trundle whirling himself around and made his way to the Ammanford dugout to celebrate with his manager as it seemed he had rescued a point from the game.

The drama, however, was not over as two minutes later Cambrian & Clydach’s Finn Jones found himself in front of the Ammanford goal with not a defender in sight and he calmly stroked the ball past Morris to restore his team’s lead at 3-4.

The atmosphere of the home team and support turned from joy to more solemn as the referee blew his final whistle.

A fine performance from the visiting team but a very disappointing ending for the home side.

Ammanford are at home again on Friday, October 29, against Trefelin.

Continue Reading


Cwm Reserves share the points



CWMAMMAN came away with a point from a hard fought draw with visiting Goytre Utd on Saturday (Oct 16) continuing the pattern of extremely close matches for them in the FAW Reserve League.

Both sides looked to attack from the outset and Goytre took the lead in the 28th min through Lewis Taylor.

Cwm kept probing and Rhydian Jones equalised in the 40th minute.

The game became a little stop start with a number of injuries and substitutions and Brandon Sackey gave Goytre the lead in the 65th min.

Cwm kept battling and Kian Evans converted a ball from Jones for the equaliser in the 76th minute.

Both sides looked for the winner but it ended all square. William Jones, Paul Doorbar and Josh Jones stood out for Cwm while Ashley Twigg and Rhydian Jones caused regular problems for the opposition.

Cwmamman now sit 7th just above Goytre with Carmarthen Town next due to visit Grenig Park.

Continue Reading


Last minute defeat sinks Cwmamman



CWMAMMAN United’s players trudged off the field at the final whistle in disbelief having conceded two goals in the last 3 mins against Ynyshir Albion on Saturday (Oct 16).

The game-winning goal came in the last move of the game as Cwm came away from Ynyshir Albion with nothing when it had looked that their organised and pacy performance had secured the 3 points.

It had been an entertaining match with two differing styles where Ynyshir played to a more structured physical approach Cwm relied on quick movement of possession and releasing their pacy wingers Kyle Ashford and Ryan Hurlow.

It was Ashford who opened the scoring in the 8th minute and shortly afterwards had a golden opportunity to double the lead but his shot flew over the bar.

This encouraged the Buns and they equalised in the 20th min through Carn Thomas. Cwm then suffered a major blow losing player manager Ryan Thomas to a nasty injury.

Ynyshir subsequently increased the pressure and just before half time Liam Eason gave them the lead.

Cwm continued with their attacking mind-set with Ross Morgan influential and Calem Rees continued his good goal scoring form making it 2-2 in the 71st min.

Shortly afterwards Ashford gave Cwm the lead to make it 3-2 and then just failed to convert a great chance for his hat trick.

Cwm seemed reasonably comfortable but disaster struck in the final minutes when Alex Rees headed home in the 88th min followed by Liam Eason converting another header with the last touch of the game to seal an astonishing win for Ynyshir.

Continue Reading