Connect with us


Old Gold hold on to go through



CARMARTHEN TOWN overcame a competitive Trethomas side, who operate in the Cymru Ardal South East League (one level below the Cymru South), thanks to two smartly taken opportunistic goals from all-time top scorer Liam Thomas.

But, having largely monopolised the first hour of the game, and spurned several other decent chances, Town conceded a goal through careless defending and they were then forced to hold on to their narrow lead for the remainder of the match.

The Old Gold began the match positively as they launched a series of penetrating attacks that kept the Bluebirds largely pinned back in defence and starved of meaningful possession.  Yet while Town forced a series of early corner-kicks, they initially failed to test goalkeeper Luke Martin.

However at last after 17 minutes he was called into action when Kieran Howard sent a corner-kick into the crowded penalty area where Lee Surman, from 15 yards, fired a low drive that the ‘keeper comfortably gathered.    

Town continued to build pressure on the visitors’ defence and on 23 minutes they went close to scoring when Jordan Vickers easily outpaced two defenders along the right flank before firing an inviting cross into the goal area where Noah Daley directed his glancing header beyond Martin’s reach but narrowly beyond the far post.

But Carmarthen were very soon ahead. In the 27th minute Trystan Jones, with a fine pass along the left-wing, sent Daley racing forward before he drove the ball into the goalmouth – while Martin and his defenders hesitated, the ever-alert Thomas pounced and stabbed the ball into the back of the net.

The Old Gold, spurred by that success, straightaway put the visitors’ defence under even greater pressure.

On 35 minutes Surman, from the half-way line, produced a superb cross-field pass that reached Thomas on the corner of the penalty area – he struck a promising low angled shot into the goalmouth and beyond Martin’s reach but saw the ball slide just marginally past the far post.

Moments later Vickers made another lightning burst along the touchline before firing the ball into the penalty area where Thomas, from 10 yards, struck a crisp volley that flew just over the bar.

Then after 42 minutes Daley robbed the ball off of a hesitant defender just inside the penalty area before setting up a decent chance for Tom Dyson but from 15 yards he fired the ball too high.

That just about symbolised Town’s first-half performance – plenty of pressure and scoring chances but too many opportunities wasted.

After the interval Trethomas began far more positively and clearly anxious to level the score-line.  However Carmarthen’s defence, centred around the experienced pairing of Surman and Scott Tancock, remained unshaken and for a long period goalkeeper Scott James was never under any serious pressure.

Indeed the visitors’ first notable scoring chance of the second-half arose on 72 minutes when Tomas Rutherford sent a long cross deep into the penalty area where James Hill, from a good position, wastefully sent his header over the bar.

During this spell the Old Gold were still managing occasional visits into the opposition penalty area – albeit seemingly with little conviction or likely chance of success.  Yet after 75 minutes they extended their lead.  Tancock, from the half-way line, launched a long pass into the penalty area which Thomas eagerly pursued – despite the nearby presence of several defenders Town’s top marksman claimed the ball and from 8 yards clinically drilled it past Martin and into the back of the net.

Sadly however, that comfortable two-goal advantage did not last long. On 77 minutes, as the visitors swarmed upfield in search of late goals, they managed to reduce the deficit with the help of some sloppy Town defending when Gareth Tedstone fired an angled drive across the goalmouth where Hill, in clear space, tapped the ball into an empty goal.

However, thankfully for Carmarthen’s now increasingly anxious supporters their team managed to survive the closing stages of this match without further mishap.     

Carmarthen’s next fixture is away against Cwmbran Celtic on Saturday, September 11, k/o 2.30pm, while on the following Saturday, September 18, k/o 2.30pm Town play Cambrian & Clybach Vale BGC at Richmond Park; both are Cymru South League matches.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Cefneithin hold off Cwmgors for second win



Cwmgors 22-31 Cefneithin

LOOKING for their first WRU Bowl victory since the restart, Cwmgors welcomed Cefneithin to Parc y Werin, the hosts kicking off playing towards Ysgol y Waun.

The visitors notched the opening score with an early converted try, before Andrew Mason sent a penalty over after 12 minutes for the home side.

The Cherries scored an excellent try on 20 minutes, a fine break from the impressive “Owz” resulting in a well-worked try; the resulting conversion unluckily came off the post, but ‘Gors led 8-7.

Some great work by the forwards brought due reward as Cwm grabbed a second touch down which Mason converted; but before the interval, Cefneithin hit back with a try of their own, to leave them trailing by just a point at the break.

Cefn then took the lead early in the second half with a penalty, and missed another minutes later, before breaching the Cwmgors defence to record a third try of the afternoon on 50 minutes.

Minutes later, the ever-industrious “Owz” popped up again, another clinical break and good support which saw Ioan Jones crash over the whitewash for the try; Andrew Mason’s conversion meant Cwm were just two points adrift.

But, ten minutes from the end, home hopes soon evaporated by a late try from the visitors which gave the Cherries too much to do and they ultimately went down to a valiant defeat.

Cwmgors travel to Tumble this Saturday (Sept 25) while Cefneithin host Amman United.

Continue Reading


Amman United too good for Betws



AMMAN United earned their fourth win of the campaign on Saturday as they beat Betws 43-13.

After a short delay following the late arrival of the referee, it was Betws who opened the scoring when outside half Aled Rees Jones slotted an early penalty.

But the home side were soon on the attack; backrow man Alun Lewis’ jinking run opened the defence and his perfect pass put in supporting scrum- half Alex Williams to grab the try.

Following Dan Jones’ excellent run, Betws were penalised, and outside half Tom Caddell made no mistake with the resulting kick. A well struck penalty from the boot of Betws placekicker Jones made it 8-6 after 17 minutes.

Newly-married Iwan Davies showed no sign of flagging and was in the thick of things as his superb run typified his all-round effort, along with impressive centre Hacuna Bezzara.

Craig Ratliffe’s break then created space, and Rhodri Lewis’ pass put in Dan Jones for try number two, Caddell’s conversion making it 15-6.

Amman’s purple-patch continued as wing Eurig Morgan crossed for a fine corner try, but Betws showed their sheer grit, despite being down a man by now, peppering the Amman try-line before Rory McGhee forced his way over for a deserved try which Aled Rees Jones converted on the stroke of half time.

A gallant Betws defence was breached early in the second half as Iwan Davies’ pass put in centre Bezzara for a Caddell-converted try.

A superb individual try from Alex Williams which saw him sidestep in for another Amman try began taking the match out of the visitors’ grasp on the hour mark.

Eurig Morgan’s ‘try’ was then ruled out for a forward-pass, just before Alex Williams incurred the referee’s wrath, yellow-carded for a dangerous tackle.

Betws almost took advantage of the 14 men as scrum half Ryan Tancock, who had a solid game, made a searing midfield break which sadly earned no end reward.

Betws’ tiring defensive legs conceded a further score as Alun Lewis provided a try on a plate for replacement Liam Poole to gallop over with minutes remaining.

Caddell’s conversion completed the scoring on an entertaining encounter.

Amman make the trip to Cefneithin on Saturday (Sept 25), while Betws are next in action on October 2.

Continue Reading


Ynys prove one hill too far



Cwmamman Utd Reserves 2-4 Ynysygerwn

AFTER two 5-1 wins Cwmamman Reserves, playing their second game in 3 days, put up a brave fight against an Ynysygerwn team with lots of first team experience while also having to play 70 mins of the match with ten men.

The last thing they needed on tired legs was the dismissal of Brieg Matthews after 18 mins for an off the ball incident and it had been a tight match to that point.

But then on 23mins a through ball to Rhys Brewer saw him open the scoring for Ynys.

The 10 men of Cwm fought hard and Ashley Twigg was causing problems on the flank while Olly Dymond was brought down for a strong penalty shout but the referee waved play on.

Grant Rees and Stuart Dunn were strong at the centre of defence. Then just on half time a failure to clear at a corner saw Josh Davies slot it home for the equaliser for CWM.

The second half saw Ynysygerwn increase their possession as Cwm tired and in the 50th minute Tom Phillips flicked in a corner which was quickly followed by a goal in the 53rd minute when a ball over the top saw Charlie Farrell make it 3-1 for Ynys.

Again Cwm came back with Rhys Williams and Rhydian Jones making strong runs and Cam Isaac who had been a safe pair of hands for Cwm in goals but playing out for the last 15 mins score a great individual goal for 3-2.

Cwm pressed and had another strong penalty appeal before themselves conceding a penalty in the last minute which was converted by Nathan Davies to seal a hard fought 4-2 win for Ynysygerwn.

Cwm will enjoy the week’s rest before entertaining Briton Ferry next Saturday (Sept 25).

Continue Reading