Connect with us


Llandysul finish fourth after beating Dafen



LLANDYSUL finished fourth in Division 1 of the South Wales Cricket Association after they beat Dafen on Saturday (Aug 28).

Llandysul won the toss and chose to bat first and they amassed a total of 206-8 from their 50 overs.

They lost Rhys Jones early on when he was bowled by Matthew Evans for a sixth-ball duck before Bleddyn Morgan and Ben Edkins shared 36 runs for the second wicket.

Morgan hit two fours on his way to a score of 20 but he was then caught and bowled by Andrew Dyer.

Edkins and Gary Williams shared another 30 runs for the third wicket but after Williams had hit a four and a six in his score of 17 he was caught by Dyer off the bowling of Chris Hudson.

Strange was also caught by Dyer off the bowling of Hudson as Llandysul were reduced to 72-4.

Edkins and Steffan Jones then shared 80 runs for the fifth wicket to put their side in a good position.

Jones hit three fours and a six in his score of 40 but he was then trapped leg before by Matthew Donoghue.

Carwyn Morgan was then run out by Simon Holliday as Llandysul were reduced to 154-6.

Iestyn Evans and Edkins shared 41 runs for the seventh wicket as they edged their side towards 200 runs.

Edkins reached his half century in that partnership but he then saw Evans caught by Scott Phillips off the bowling of Donoghue.

On the penultimate ball of the innings, Edkins was stumped by Jac Morgan off the bowling of Holliday on a score of 77 that had included five fours and two sixes.

It meant that Dafen would need 207 to win the game but they lost opener Simon Holliday early when he was bowled by Steffan Jones for a second-ball duck.

Matthew Evans and Matthew Jones shared 70 runs for the second wicket as they looked to lead their side towards victory.

However, when Jones was caught by Andrew Barrett off the bowling of Iestyn Evans on a score of 24, it sparked a mini-collapse.

Arfon Jones bowled Josh Simmons and Evans had Matthew Donoghue caught by Ben Edkins for a duck.

Evans had hit five fours in his score of 44 but he was also caught by Edkins off the bowling of Evans as Dafen were reduced to 88-5.

That was soon 100-6 as Ioan Roberts was caught by Chris Strange off the bowling of Arfon Jones.

Jac Morgan did not last long at the crease either as he was caught by Edkins off the bowling of Rhys Jones as Dafen slipped to 116-7.

Andrew Dyer and Scott Phillips offered some late resistance with a stand of 33 runs for the eighth wicket but it wasn’t enough to stop Llandysul on their way to victory.

Dyer was caught by Gary Williams off the bowling of Jones on a score of 11 and he then bowled Chris Hudson for a duck.

Scott Phillips hit two fours and a six in his late score of 32 but he was then caught by Iestyn Evans off the bowling of Rhys Jones as the innings came to a close.

Dafen were bowled out for 156 inside 37 overs, giving Llandysul victory by 50 runs.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Cefneithin hold off Cwmgors for second win



Cwmgors 22-31 Cefneithin

LOOKING for their first WRU Bowl victory since the restart, Cwmgors welcomed Cefneithin to Parc y Werin, the hosts kicking off playing towards Ysgol y Waun.

The visitors notched the opening score with an early converted try, before Andrew Mason sent a penalty over after 12 minutes for the home side.

The Cherries scored an excellent try on 20 minutes, a fine break from the impressive “Owz” resulting in a well-worked try; the resulting conversion unluckily came off the post, but ‘Gors led 8-7.

Some great work by the forwards brought due reward as Cwm grabbed a second touch down which Mason converted; but before the interval, Cefneithin hit back with a try of their own, to leave them trailing by just a point at the break.

Cefn then took the lead early in the second half with a penalty, and missed another minutes later, before breaching the Cwmgors defence to record a third try of the afternoon on 50 minutes.

Minutes later, the ever-industrious “Owz” popped up again, another clinical break and good support which saw Ioan Jones crash over the whitewash for the try; Andrew Mason’s conversion meant Cwm were just two points adrift.

But, ten minutes from the end, home hopes soon evaporated by a late try from the visitors which gave the Cherries too much to do and they ultimately went down to a valiant defeat.

Cwmgors travel to Tumble this Saturday (Sept 25) while Cefneithin host Amman United.

Continue Reading


Amman United too good for Betws



AMMAN United earned their fourth win of the campaign on Saturday as they beat Betws 43-13.

After a short delay following the late arrival of the referee, it was Betws who opened the scoring when outside half Aled Rees Jones slotted an early penalty.

But the home side were soon on the attack; backrow man Alun Lewis’ jinking run opened the defence and his perfect pass put in supporting scrum- half Alex Williams to grab the try.

Following Dan Jones’ excellent run, Betws were penalised, and outside half Tom Caddell made no mistake with the resulting kick. A well struck penalty from the boot of Betws placekicker Jones made it 8-6 after 17 minutes.

Newly-married Iwan Davies showed no sign of flagging and was in the thick of things as his superb run typified his all-round effort, along with impressive centre Hacuna Bezzara.

Craig Ratliffe’s break then created space, and Rhodri Lewis’ pass put in Dan Jones for try number two, Caddell’s conversion making it 15-6.

Amman’s purple-patch continued as wing Eurig Morgan crossed for a fine corner try, but Betws showed their sheer grit, despite being down a man by now, peppering the Amman try-line before Rory McGhee forced his way over for a deserved try which Aled Rees Jones converted on the stroke of half time.

A gallant Betws defence was breached early in the second half as Iwan Davies’ pass put in centre Bezzara for a Caddell-converted try.

A superb individual try from Alex Williams which saw him sidestep in for another Amman try began taking the match out of the visitors’ grasp on the hour mark.

Eurig Morgan’s ‘try’ was then ruled out for a forward-pass, just before Alex Williams incurred the referee’s wrath, yellow-carded for a dangerous tackle.

Betws almost took advantage of the 14 men as scrum half Ryan Tancock, who had a solid game, made a searing midfield break which sadly earned no end reward.

Betws’ tiring defensive legs conceded a further score as Alun Lewis provided a try on a plate for replacement Liam Poole to gallop over with minutes remaining.

Caddell’s conversion completed the scoring on an entertaining encounter.

Amman make the trip to Cefneithin on Saturday (Sept 25), while Betws are next in action on October 2.

Continue Reading


Ynys prove one hill too far



Cwmamman Utd Reserves 2-4 Ynysygerwn

AFTER two 5-1 wins Cwmamman Reserves, playing their second game in 3 days, put up a brave fight against an Ynysygerwn team with lots of first team experience while also having to play 70 mins of the match with ten men.

The last thing they needed on tired legs was the dismissal of Brieg Matthews after 18 mins for an off the ball incident and it had been a tight match to that point.

But then on 23mins a through ball to Rhys Brewer saw him open the scoring for Ynys.

The 10 men of Cwm fought hard and Ashley Twigg was causing problems on the flank while Olly Dymond was brought down for a strong penalty shout but the referee waved play on.

Grant Rees and Stuart Dunn were strong at the centre of defence. Then just on half time a failure to clear at a corner saw Josh Davies slot it home for the equaliser for CWM.

The second half saw Ynysygerwn increase their possession as Cwm tired and in the 50th minute Tom Phillips flicked in a corner which was quickly followed by a goal in the 53rd minute when a ball over the top saw Charlie Farrell make it 3-1 for Ynys.

Again Cwm came back with Rhys Williams and Rhydian Jones making strong runs and Cam Isaac who had been a safe pair of hands for Cwm in goals but playing out for the last 15 mins score a great individual goal for 3-2.

Cwm pressed and had another strong penalty appeal before themselves conceding a penalty in the last minute which was converted by Nathan Davies to seal a hard fought 4-2 win for Ynysygerwn.

Cwm will enjoy the week’s rest before entertaining Briton Ferry next Saturday (Sept 25).

Continue Reading