Connect with us


Old Gold seal first win of the season



CARMARTHEN TOWN moved themselves off the bottom of the JD Cymru South table on Saturday (Aug 28) as they beat Swansea University 2-0.

After a hugely disappointing start to their season Carmarthen at last produced a performance to excite their loyal supporters and give them hope for more success over the campaign ahead.

Even so, the first goalmouth action arose after just 2 minutes when the visitors’ defender Elliot Jones fired a dangerous left-wing cross into the penalty area where former Old Gold legend Tim Hicks, in plenty of space, leapt high to plant his strong header beyond the reach of goalkeeper Scott James only to see the ball strike the far post and bounce safely away.

Carmarthen soon responded when on 6 minutes Adam John, out wide on the edge of the penalty area, fired the ball across to Tom Dyson who from 15 yards produced a disappointing shot that ‘keeper Luke Martin comfortably claimed.

The brisk end-to-end pattern of the play continued when after 9 minutes Greg Walters won the ball off of Ollie Roberts just outside of the penalty area and then set up a decent scoring chance for Noah Daley who sadly squandered it with a weak strike that went wide of the far post.

On 14 minutes Hicks threaded an inviting pass through to Cam Langan who was in clear space inside the penalty area – but he was denied an easy scoring chance when James raced from his goal and bravely dropped down to claim the ball at the striker’s feet.

The two teams maintained this open entertaining nature of the game although, as the first-half progressed, all too often both were guilty of wasting inventive approach play by producing a poor ‘final ball’.

Yet deep into added time Swansea Uni looked certain to take the lead.  A long pass was chased by Langan to the corner of the penalty area and as James came well out of his goal area to challenge him the striker lobbed the ball towards the seemingly empty goal – however Town central defender Scott Tancock, on his debut, managed to execute an astonishing intervention and somehow force the ball over the bar to safety.

After the interval Carmarthen straightaway took the initiative and soon went close to taking the lead – Jordan Vickers burst along the right touchline before firing the ball into the penalty area where Liam Thomas turned sharply and released a crisp shot that Martin, diving at full length, turned around the post.

But this early pressure was soon rewarded when in the 50th minute another right-wing cross from Vickers into the penalty area reached Thomas – he then set the ball up nicely for Walters who struck a fierce drive that flew into the far corner of the net leaving Martin well beaten.

Shortly afterwards Thomas went close to adding another goal – Kieran Howard sent a searching corner-kick into the packed penalty area where Town’s all-time top goal-scorer leapt highest but saw his glancing header fly marginally over the bar.

However this spell of Town ascendency at last led to another, richly deserved, goal in the 65th minute.  Walters, from the half-way line, played a superb long pass through to Thomas who sprinted into the penalty area and clinically, from 10 yards, fired the ball past Martin and into the back of the net. 

Moments later Vickers, who continually tormented the opposition with his express pace and movement, set Walters racing towards the penalty area but this time Martin was able to protect his goal from further damage.

In the closing stages of the match Swansea Uni attempted to put the Old Gold defence under some belated pressure – however, James was never seriously tested ensuring that three very valuable and well-deserved League points were secured. 

Carmarthen’s next fixture is against Trethomas Bluebirds in the Welsh Cup 2nd round at Richmond Park on Saturday, September 4, k/o 2.00pm. The following fixture is away against Cwmbran Celtic in the Cymru South League on Saturday, September 11, k/o 2.30pm.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Amman earn first win of the season



AMMAN United claimed their first win of the season after an opening-day draw, and a cup defeat at Haverfordwest last weekend.

However, you would have been hard pushed to imagine a 50-point final-score when, just before half time, the score remained 0-0.

But two injury time scores had then given Amman an unlikely 12-0 interval lead against the Bulldogs.

A bright opening from United saw centre Gavin Lewis, on yet another comeback, show his trickery with a nice run and offload early on. Hooker George Clark had a fine game and was in the thick of everything, as were fellow forwards Iwan Davies, Dan Jones, Rhydian Jones and captain Alun Lewis.

Bynea suffered a very early blow, losing Corey Butler to an untimely injury, and they were later to also see Jamie Thomas limp off before half time.

These injuries meant a large period of added-time, and the Bulldogs’ valiant defence cracked during the injury-time as Joel Foster and Alun Lewis combined to put in flanker Rhydian Jones for the opening try, which Tom Caddell converted.

A frustrating couple of minutes for the visitors was compounded when a quick tap and go penalty from scrum half Foster saw him smuggle over the try line for a second try on the stroke of half time.

The Reds continued in good heart after the restart, and after some good play,Foster and and Dan Jones were involved before Rhydian Jones slipped a fine offload to skipper Alun Lewis who went under the posts for another converted try.

Another “vet” came on, Adrian Thomas off the bench as the home side largely dominated with their pack in the ascendency, Cian Lewis, Jason Knell and Rhys Phillips having put in a good shift throughout.

The Bulldogs then had a purple patch for a while,centre Jack Mal almost finishing off a fine move, before more calamity struck for them as Jake Sam was sadly stretchered off.

Amman capitalised and grabbed a bonus point try when the excellent George Clarke went over for another score to make it 24-0.

But the dogged visitors were always a threat, and carved out an excellent try for their efforts as wing Nathan Baker finished off a well-worked team move, which outside half Finlay Cook converted.

Amman hit back when the back row combined well before Dan Jones went over the whitewash for a try.

A very young Bynea side battled to the end,and some more excellent play was rewarded with a try for Tom Badger, converted by Cook.

However, the home side had the last word and grabbed a very late injury time try as the industrious Rhydian Jones crossed for the final score of the game.

Amman face a tough trip to Tumble on Saturday, October 1, while Bynea are home against New Dock Stars.

Continue Reading


Ammanford upset Penybont to reach MG Cup quarter finals



Report by Ian Parfitt

AMMANFORD produced arguably the shock of the third round in the MG Nathaniel Cup with a 2-1 victory at Penybont, who currently sit third in the Cymru Premier League, on Tuesday night (Sept 20).

Penybont started the game well and looked dangerous with ex Ammanford player Kai Whitmore calling the shots.

Ammanford however were also playing some neat football themselves and this was quickly becoming a competitive contest.

Ammanford took the lead in the 28th minute when Brett Enoch took advantage of a moment of calamity in the Penybont defence to fire home.

As expected Penybont increased the pressure on the Ammanford goal in search of an equaliser but Ammanford held firm to go into the interval ahead.

Kyle Marsh in particular having a fine game in the Ammanford goal. Ammanford fans would have been expecting a long 45 minutes after the break but it only took a minute for Penybont to find the equaliser, Mael Davies scoring with a firm header.

Penybont were hungry for more goals and looked especially dangerous from the flanks. The Ammanford defence, who were superb throughout held firm under a barrage of high balls into the box.

Ammanford were also keen to get a second and looked dangerous on the counter attack, both Jordan Langley and Callum Silcox going agonisingly close to restoring the visitors’ lead.

The Ammanford defence continued to form a formidable wall at the back which Penybont were unable to breach.

This fantastic rearguard action was rewarded in the 81st minute when Callum Thomas scored what turned out to be the winner for Ammanford, running through on goal and producing a composed finish to slot the ball past Penybont keeper Alex Pennock.

Ammanford players continued to put their bodies on the line to preserve the lead, epitomised by Tom Pratt who took one on the head in the six yard box.

Lee Trundle spurned a glorious chance to make the game safe for Ammanford with a couple of minutes remaining but it mattered not as the final whistle produced jubilant scenes in the away camp.

Ammanford progress to the Fourth round on what was a glorious night for the club.

Photos by Lawrence Molloy
Continue Reading


Strong Ammanford performance seals Cup win over Whitland



AMMANFORD got their Division 1 Cup campaign off to an excellent start on Saturday (Sept 17) as they beat Whitland 42-13.

Ammanford built up a 17-3 lead and increased that further to 8-29 before pulling away in the closing stages.

Geraint Jones scored a penalty for Whitland and unconverted tries from Gino Setaro and Lewis Gibby followed.

Captain Alex Davies was named as Ammanford’s man of the match as he lead his side to a bonus point win.

The scrum half was among the try scorers as were Morgan Plimmer, Rhodri Jones, Liam Smith, Carwyn Richards, Mathew Lemon and Tiaan Evans.

Ryan Williams added four conversions and one penalty for the visitors.

The next round of Cup fixtures is scheduled for October 15. Ammanford host Newcastle Emlyn while Whitland travel to Tondu.

Ammanford return to action in League 1 West Central on Saturday, September 24 as they host Birchgrove.

Whitland are also back in league action in League 1 West as they visit Pembroke.

Continue Reading