Connect with us


Reds’ late show seals win over Old Gold



Llanelli 2 Carmarthen Town 0

LLANELLI Town picked up their second win of the season on Friday night (Aug 20) as they beat Carmarthen 2-0 at Stebonheath Park.

Carmarthen made the short trip to old rivals Llanelli hoping to find the form and goals that would lift them out of the basement position of the Cymru South League table – but while they produced occasional moments of promise, the Old Gold never seemed likely to score allowing the Reds, with two late goals, to take the points.

The match began brightly with the play switching quickly back and forth – but, with both defences looking sound and organised, there were no threats to either goal.

At the heart of the Town defence Lee Surman and Lewis Rocke continued their impressive early-season form, while they received eager support on the flanks from Jordan Vickers and recent new signing Trystan Jones; as a consequence goalkeeper Scott James, initially, was never seriously tested.

As a striking force the trio of Liam Thomas, Noah Daley and Marcus Griffiths demonstrated their pace and mobility often enough but a particularly resilient Llanelli defence, which included former long-time Carmarthen defender Chris Thomas, ensured that goalkeeper Exauce Dimonekene was rarely troubled.

However at last in the 40th minute a genuine scoring chance arose for the hosts when Gavin Jones, from the half-way line, threaded a fine pass through to Sam Parsons who raced dangerously into the penalty area only to be robbed of the ball by Surman with a perfectly timed intervention to clear the threat.

Then on 44 minutes James Loveridge slid a short corner-kick across to Kyle Copp who, from the edge of the penalty area, struck a fierce drive that defeated James but flew narrowly over the bar.

After the interval both sides inserted a welcome degree of urgency and purpose into their play and almost straightaway Llanelli fashioned the first scoring chance when Parsons fired his corner-kick towards the edge of the packed goal area where Miles John hooked the ball marginally too high.

Then on 54 minutes Liam Thomas, near the corner of the penalty area, robbed a defender of the ball and quickly slid it across to Daley who saw his instant strike fly just over the bar.

Soon afterwards Vickers made a typical storming run along the right flank before driving the ball into the penalty area where Daley turned smartly away from a defender but fired his shot just too high.

The pace of the match began to quicken still more as the play switched from end to end.

After 66 minutes the hosts produced a smart sequence of passes from their own penalty area before reaching Copp who from 30 yards struck a fierce volley which James carefully watched fly over the bar.

But in the 79th minute James was powerless to prevent Llanelli taking the lead.  Parsons received the ball near the centre-circle and was allowed to move forward, unhindered by any defender, before releasing a stunning strike that left James well beaten and the net bulging.

The Old Gold had a promising chance soon afterwards to level the scores.  Greg Walters, from wide on the right flank, fired a marvellous cross to Daley who was in clear space just outside the penalty area – sadly he somehow failed to control the ball allowing the Llanelli goalkeeper to race out and clear the ball to safety.

Then in added time the Reds made victory certain with another goal – while James managed to punch away a free-kick from his goalmouth, neither he nor any Town defender was quick enough to clear the loose ball before Halis Esen pounced and fired it into the net.

On Tuesday (Aug 24), Llanelli Town host Swansea University while Carmarthen Town are at home to Goytre United.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Mumbles win well against Ammanford seconds



AMMANFORD seconds suffered a heavy 125 run defeat at the hands of Mumbles at Marespool.

Winning the toss, Ammanford invited Mumbles to bat first, and a terrific 188 run partnership for the second wicket, featuring Ben Jones (94) and Stuart Seaton (77), helped the home team to a healthy 221 for 4 in 45 overs.

Several Ammanford batsmen got into double figures but none were able to stay long enough to make any impression on the run chase. Eirian Morgan top-scored with 25, but the Ammanford innings finished disappointingly on 96 all out.

Gethin Morgan and Phil Roche each took three wickets for Mumbles.

Thirds beaten by Landore

Ammanford thirds travelled to Landore only to lose their match by 50 runs.

Ammanford skipper Carl Griffiths put Landore in to bat, and the home team scored 148 for 9. Landore
skipper Terry Summerfield top-scored with 33.

Ammanford’s Tom Davies was chief wicket-taker with 4 for 38.

Despite a solid 30 from opener and man-of-the-match Tom Davies, Ammanford failed to get anywhere near the required target and folded their innings on 98 inside 34 overs.

The defeat dropped them out of the top half of division six on the SWCA.

Continue Reading


Cwmamman United Juniors host end of season event



CWMAMMAN United juniors held their end of season event at Clwb Godre’r Mynydd Ddu Glanamman.

As they celebrated throughout the day with their different age groups from Under 6 to Under 14 it looked as if almost every child in the Cwm had attended at some point.

The Juniors section at the club has grown to around 150 children over the last couple of years and with a dedicated and enthusiastic group of committee, coaches and volunteers behind them the club is excitedly anticipating further growth.

A fantastic time was had by all with all age groups proudly having their moment in the sun.

Robert Griffiths the Clubs Junior Chairman said: “I have to thank all our fantastic people at the club that get the kids out playing whether sorting games, coaching, fund raising or organising events such as our club parties and awards such as these.

“We continiue to grow and if your child would like to be part of a safe, healthy and fun environment they are most welcome here.”

Continue Reading


Depleted Ammanford beaten by seven wickets



A DEPLETED Ammanford lost by seven wickets to Bridgend Town in a rain affected match at windswept Newbridge Fields on Satuday (Jun 25).

With the start delayed by over an hour because of rain, the match was reduced to 39 overs before a ball was bowled, and the toss immediately became the crucial factor in deciding the game’s outcome.

Bridgend won it and, predictably enough, put Ammanford in to bat.

The writing was on the wall as the visitors lost two wickets for 9 runs on an unpredictable wicket which was one of the first bowler-friendly tracks encountered this season.

Only four batters reached double figures as wickets fell at regular intervals. Top scorer was 14 year old wicket-keeper Gruffudd Owen (19no) who took the game to the visitors and looked capable of scoring many more had he not run out of partners.

Ammanford were all out for 90 inside 30 overs.

Tea was taken early as more heavy rain swept across Newbridge Fields, but unfortunately for Ammanford the sun made a reappearance and play eventually resumed.

The Bridgend batters did not have it all their own way, quickly losing both openers to opening bowler Owen Davies.

Davies removed a further wicket in a good spell of 3 for 15, but Thomas Cogbill (43no) and Luke Humphries (18) saw Bridgend safely home without further trouble inside 24 overs.

Next week, Ammanford welcome second placed Swansea to the Park, the memory of their 700+ run clash at St Helen’s still fresh in their minds.

Thirds beat Pontardawe by a single run

Ammanford thirds beat Pontardawe by a single run in a rain adjusted match at the Rec.

Batting first, Ammanford reached 132 all out, thanks mainly to their captain Carl Griffiths (41) and Dafydd Wyn Jones (21).

Rain meant that Pontardawe’s reply was restricted to just 16 overs, during which they had to score 53 runs.

They came very close, but two wickets each from Oliver Pallot and Iwan Matthews interrupted their progress and they fell short by a single run, finishing on 51 for 5.

The victory moved Ammanford into the top half of SWCA’s Division 6.

Continue Reading