Connect with us


Controversial late winner gives Swansea Uni victory



A CONTROVERSIAL late winner for Swansea University gave them a 2-1 win over Ammanford on Friday night (Aug 13).

The incident came in the 87th minute as Ammanford keeper Craig Morris juggled the ball on the line before holding on to it and seemingly stopping it from going in.

However, the assistant referee raised his flag to signal that a goal had been scored, credited to the Uni’s Harry Huddart, much to the disbelief of the Ammanford players.

This sparked an immediate reaction from the visitors who raced across to the Assistant Referee to protest the award of the late goal and eventual winner.

Referee Daniel Richardson issued a flurry of yellow cards to Ammanford players as protests continued and a subsequent Red card shown to Brett Enoch.

The Uni were able to hold on for the win but Ammanford will consider themselves hard-done by at the award of the late goal.

Ammanford had started the evening on the front foot and looked lively with Liam Samuel pushing forward on the left side.

However as the game progressed Ammanford seemed to be falling back deeper and deeper in defence.

Uni’s experienced central defender Wyn Thomas was finding himself in plenty of space and hitting the channels with his long range passing to striker Tim Hicks and the tricky Cam Langan. The experienced Uni full back Dan Sheehan was always in support and putting in some quality crosses for his strikers.

Uni should have scored when a fierce cross shot struck the inside of Ammanford’s far post but the rebound could not be guided back on target by Uni’s Adam Orme.

Ammanford were on the ropes and were glad to hear the half time whistle to regroup, whilst Uni were feeling that they should have had the advantage of a goal or two.

The second half saw Uni still pressing the Ammanford defence. Matthew Jones was outstanding in defence and was making several strong blocks to keep his team in the game.

Uni then gained a free kick some 25 yards out from goal in a central position.

Up stepped Jean-Bapiste Fischer who scored directly from the free kick to give Swansea Uni the lead which they would probably feel was more than deserved on the balance of play.

Uni almost doubled their lead but for another outstanding block from Matthew Jones which saved a certain goal.

Then out of the blue an individual piece of sublime skill from Ammanford’s Lee Trundle who with back to goal, spun around and from distance unleashed a powerful shot that rocketed in to the roof of the University goal net to level the scores at 1-1.

Ammanford were now rejuvenated by Trundle’s strike and could sense a glimmer of hope and pressed forward with Mat Fisher and Tristan Jenkins probing the Uni defence.

Swansea Uni got to grips with their visitors attacks and pushed forward themselves looking for a winner and when in the final minutes of game the ball struck the Ammanford woodwork again and came back to Harry Huddart who watched his goal bound effort hover in mid-air in the Ammanford goal area before the goal was awarded.

So Swansea Uni take the maximum points and on balance of play they would justify the result.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Ammanford return with win over Port Talbot



A CROWD in excess of 300 plus turned out to watch Ammanford AFC take on the Steelmen of Port Talbot Town in the resumption of the JD Cymru South league after the easing of restrictions by the Welsh government.

It was a very chilly Recreation Ground and hot drinks were very much in demand on Friday evening (Jan 21) under the lights.

Ammanford AFC faced a very different Port Talbot Town team to the one they inflicted a heavy defeat earlier in the season.

Port Talbot Town had added more steel to their team and were determined to give a good account of themselves in this return fixture.

The first half was very much an evenly fought contest with Port Talbot Town’s centre back Joel Queni marshalling his defence whilst Captain Lewis Robinson was trying to match up to Ammanford’s Anthony Finselbach.

Port Talbot’s Ryan Garland came close to opening the scoring in this game but placed his effort over the bar.

However it was Ammanford who got the break through in the 32nd minute when Richard Lewis burst forward from full back and latched onto a through ball pass played into the heart of the Port Talbot penalty area. Lewis was clear of the defence and flicked the ball passed the advancing goalkeeper into the net. 1-0.

The first half ended with Ammanford holding a slender advantage.

The second half saw Ammanford more on the front foot and pushing on for the second goal. It eventually came when Ammanford’s Captain Lee Trundle played in fellow striker Tristan Jenkins in on goal and he slotted his effort passed Port Talbot’s goalkeeper Elisangelo Queni to double his team’s lead 2-0.

The game was wrapped up in the 63rd minute when Ammanford’s Brett Enoch played team mate Mathew Fisher in on goal and he placed his shot into the Steelmen’s net to make it 3-0.

The Steelmen never gave up to their credit but it was Ammanford who claimed the deserved win at the final whistle.

Continue Reading


Hendy hold off Whitland to earn third win



HENDY earned their third win of the season on Saturday (Jan 15) as they beat Whitland 22-15 in League 1 West.

A strong first half from the home side saw them take a 17-5 lead into the break.

Liam Evans, Ben Batcup, Josh Davies and Dean Courtney all scored tries for Hendy while Rhydian Morris added the extras with the boot.

Whitland hit back in the second half and brought themselves back to within one score (try) of their opponents.

They came close but Hendy held on and the win sees them move up to fourth place in the table.

Whitland picked up a losing bonus point for their efforts and they now sit seventh in the table.

The sides are next in action on Saturday, January 29, when Whitland host Penclawdd while Hendy travel to Pembroke.

Continue Reading


Athletic prove too strong for Bont



CARMARTHEN ATHLETIC remain top of League 2 West after they beat Pontyberem 39-11 away from home on Saturday (Jan 15).

Gethin Phillips, Iestyn Richards, Morgan Morse, Logan Davies and James Newnian all scored tries for the Athletic.

Tom Gravell added four conversions and two penalties as they secured their fifth win in six games.

Tom Lloyd scored Pontyberem’s only try of the game with the rest of the points coming from Dominic Sauro who scored a penalty and a drop goal.

On Saturday, January 22, Carmarthen Athletic are at home against Tycroes.

Pontyberem’s next game is set for January 29 when they travel to Tenby United.

Continue Reading