Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Groups of up to 100 rowdy teens moved from coastal path

Published

on

GROUPS of up to 100 teenagers have been moved on, and large amounts of alcohol seized, as police respond to concerns over antisocial behaviour near the coastal path in Burry Port.

Dyfed-Powys Police officers are using powers under the Antisocial Behaviour Act to disperse groups of youngsters meeting to drink alcohol in woodland and sand dunes off the path, many of whom had travelled to the area to meet up.

Plans had been put in place ahead of the Easter holidays as part of a joint operation with Carmarthenshire Council to deal with anticipated gatherings following the easing of travel restrictions – and in particular to target groups of young people meeting in Burry Port.

A Section 34 Order remains in place covering Burry Port and the coastal path from Pembrey Harbour to Pwll, and allows officers to move people out of the area and prevent them from returning for up to 48 hours.

Sergeant Gemma Davies said: “A number of calls have been received from residents in Burry Port who are concerned about the behaviour of large groups of young people in the town.

“Proactive action has been taken, with plans put in place to deal with such issues last weekend and into the bank holiday.

“Historically, gatherings of this kind in the area has resulted in antisocial behaviour and criminal damage, so we are putting additional resources in place to allow officers to respond swiftly and prevent matters from escalating.”

Llanelli Neighbourhood Policing Team, supported by response officers, are carrying out high visibility patrols along the coastal path, covering areas known to be popular with youngsters, and work is being carried out with Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service’s arson reduction team.

On Saturday night, around 50 teenagers spotted heading towards woodland were dispersed and advised to go home. Around 100 bottles of alcohol were seized from the youngsters, who were aged between 13 and 16.

Last night (Tuesday, March 30), officers were called to the harbour, where large groups had again gathered. Around 100 teenagers were sent home from the area between the harbour and the Shoreline caravan park, with large amounts of litter and alcohol bottles left behind, and damage caused by fires in the sand dunes.

Licensing checks are being carried out at shops in the area to remind them of the laws around selling alcohol.

Sgt Davies said: “We will continue to patrol the area and will not hesitate to disperse groups, sending the message that we will not tolerate antisocial behaviour of this kind.

“We would like to appeal directly to parents to be aware of where their children are, and what they are doing. This behaviour is distressing for people living in Burry Port, and we are urging you to be accountable for your children’s actions.

“We understand that the past few months have been difficult, and that children want to see their friends, but please do your best to ensure they are adhering to regulations that are in place for all our safety.”

Officers from Llanelli and Ammanford Neighbourhood Policing Teams carried out additional high visibility patrols in key tourist areas to ensure regulations were being adhered to despite the increased number of visitors as travel restrictions eased.

Visits were made with Carmarthenshire Council officers to 50 caravan and self-catering establishments across the county to ensure compliance with the new restrictions and offer advice to those who needed it.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Business

Ascona Group announces new Car and Truck wash facilities

Published

on

Charlie's Truck Wash

ASCONA GROUP, one of the UK’s fastest-growing forecourt operators, is pleased to announce two new vehicle washing partnerships as part of improvements to its unique roadside retail proposition across its forecourt estate.

As part of a new partnership with the American based PDQ Manufacturing, a leader for in-bay automatic vehicle washing facilities, Ascona Group will be the first in the UK to install the ‘Laserwash 360 Plus’, a touchless car wash system for its customers.

The partnership will initially expand the wash options at the Hinton Service Station, with a view to roll out the system to other sites under the Ascona Group’s brand, ‘Charlie’s Express Car Wash’ later this year. The partnership is a significant investment for Ascona and demonstrates its commitment to ever improving the experience for customers.

Ascona Group is also delighted to announce a strategic partnership with WashTec UK that will see Ascona introduce a ‘First of its Kind’ truck washing facility at the Tenby Road site on the A40 Eastbound in Carmarthenshire, which offers the very best technology available to HGV drivers.

The truck wash employs a fully ‘closed loop’ total water recycling system, the first of its kind in Wales, which recovers all water used within the wash process, filtering it for reuse with little or no water entering the mains drainage system. This system ensures Ascona not only has the best commercial wash in South Wales, but also offers customers one of the more environmentally friendly approaches in operation.

Commenting on the announcement, CEO Darren Briggs said: “From the very beginning, we knew that our sites must present our customers with a unique and compelling offer which is why we are constantly seeking new and innovative ways to improve our roadside retail facilities.

“These two new partnerships further demonstrate our focus on creating industry-leading propositions and we are really excited to be working with PDQ Manufacturing USA and WashTec UK. Together, we are keen to continue to build on the success of these new operations and we are actively reviewing multiple opportunities across the Ascona portfolio to roll out more units such as these.”

Continue Reading

Community

Nearly £50,000 of National Lottery funding for community groups in Carmarthenshire

Published

on

FIVE local community organisations across Carmarthenshire are celebrating after being awarded a share of £49,575 of funding from The National Lottery Community Fund over the past month.

One successful project was MolTân Makers who will use their £9,820 grant to provide metal working workshops for people wishing to improve their mental health and well-being. The group will reach out to mental health groups and the wider community and also allow people to reconnect with the community following the pandemic.

One participant with MolTân Makers explained, “ The course was professionally run by four hard-working people who helped us with one to one tuition when needed. They were so welcoming and adaptable to individual needs and allowed me to attend the course at different hours due to health reasons.

“They were great company and created an interesting and positive atmosphere to help people with mental and physical health problems feel included and understood and we all took home what we made in the course.”

The Hangout received £10,000 and will help young people improve their mental health and wellbeing through structured outdoor activity programmes. The project will build on a previous pilot project that led to more young people becoming re-engaged in school following the pandemic and continuing to volunteer with the group after the initial sessions finished.

The Alternative Learning Company in Llanelli were awarded £9,955 and will recycle plastic bottles to build full size greenhouses. They will propagate plants for growing schemes in local schools and communities. The project will reduce the levels of plastic sent to landfill or polluting open spaces, and give young people an understanding of the impact of climate change.

Newcastle Emlyn Town Council will build an outdoor structure in collaboration with the community, to mark Her Majesty the Queen’s Jubilee. This £10,000 grant will fund building and design materials, and a water harvesting kit.

Messy Projects will use their £9,800 grant to run the activities and events they missed due to the pandemic. Activities will include celebrating the Queens platinum jubilee, a BBQ, and a Bonfire party.

John Rose, Wales Director at The National Lottery Community Fund, said “These groups play a vital role in supporting their communities and these grants will allow them to continue being there for people in future. 

 ”National Lottery players raise more than £30 million each week for good causes across the UK and the projects funded over the past month show the crucial difference players make through their tickets. I look forward to following all of their progress.”  

Continue Reading

News

Family of power station worker calls on former colleagues to help with asbestos claim

Published

on

THE WIFE of a Carmarthenshire man, who was just 66 when he died of an asbestos-related cancer, is calling on colleagues who worked with him in the 1970s to help understand where and how he contracted the disease.

Peter Colton, from Llanelli, died in July 2021 after being diagnosed with the asbestos-related disease, mesothelioma.

He worked as a conveyor and weighbridge operator for the CEGB at Carmarthen Bay Power Station. During his time at the power station, his duties included offloading coal wagons and conveying coal to the boilers.

It is possible that Mr Colton was exposed to asbestos during those years and now his family has sought the help of local asbestos specialists J.M Parsons, to investigate a claim for compensation.

Ann Colton, Mr Colton’s wife, wants answers. She said: “Peter was diagnosed with mesothelioma and died just six weeks later. He had been suffering from shortness of breath and just had no quality of life.

“It was devastating to see someone who had been so healthy and active slowly get worse and worse. We just want to know where and how he was exposed to asbestos and hope someone out there can help us.”

According to data from the Health and Safety Executive, annual mesothelioma deaths in Britain increased steeply over the last 50 years, a consequence of mainly occupational asbestos exposures that occurred because of the widespread industrial use of asbestos during 1950-1980.

Amanda Jones is one of the specialists at J.M Parsons, which is owned by Thompsons Solicitors. Thompsons has paved the way for asbestos litigation in the UK ever since it brought about the first successful asbestos disease claim to the House of Lords in 1972, 50 years ago.

She said: “We would be grateful to hear from anyone who remembers working with Peter Colton in Carmarthen Bay Power Station in the 1970s or anyone who worked in the same field as Peter beyond the 1970s.

“Such individuals will be invaluable to Mr Colton’s family as they may be able to add important information that will assist us in building a civil claim. We hope that we will then be able to answer questions about the conditions that Mr Colton worked in during his working life.”

Anyone with information should contact Amanda Jones on 01554 779940, or via email at amanda@jmplaw.co.uk.

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK