Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Education

Successful first week back for Carmarthenshire schoolchildren

Published

on

MORE than 10,000 children have checked in to Carmarthenshire schools so far.

This includes 6,144 primary school children and 4,226 secondary school pupils, according to council figures for last week.

Some pupils have attended school more than once – with the total number of check-ins for last week exceeding 14,000.

There are approximately 28,000 pupils registered in Carmarthenshire schools and these figures show around 38% of pupils attended school last week.

All pupils are being given the opportunity to check in, catch up and prepare before the summer holidays and the new school year in September.

Schools across the county have reported that both staff and pupils have been happy to return, and that safety measures that had been put in place have been a success.

Children have been split into smaller groups and schools are operating staggered break times, and start and finish times. There are also separate entrances and exits, and one-way systems where possible to help with social distancing.

High touch surfaces are being cleaned regularly throughout the school day, with a full clean taking place every evening. There are hand-sanitisers in every classroom and portable handwashing stations where needed.

Children are being encouraged to safely walk, cycle or scoot to school, or for parents to provide transport, as school transport is operating at a limited capacity.

School meals are not being provided this term and pupils who are in school for a full day are being asked to bring in a packed lunch.

Headteacher of Llangunnor Primary School Aled Davies said: “Being able to greet pupils back this week has been exciting. Seeing them smile and as they saw their friends and staff was wonderful. It has been a strange time for us all and the school building looks rather different than it did three months ago, I would like to thank the staff for their hard work and dedication in preparing the school.

“I think we were all, children, parents and staff, a bit apprehensive on Monday but the new measures and routines have worked successfully and has allowed us to welcome the children back in a safe and organised manner. The atmosphere during the week has been welcoming and comfortable with all the children eager to share their stories and experiences and having a lovely day.

“A very high percentage of our families have decided to send their children back and we have been able to fulfil the Welsh Government’s aspiration that all statutory age pupils have an opportunity to return for three sessions in school before the summer break.”

Headteacher of Ysgol Dyffryn Taf in Whitland Julian Kennedy said: “The return of pupils to Dyffryn Taf has been a great experience. Staff and pupils have been delighted to see each other again.

“Everyone has worked incredibly hard to build a safe, inclusive and positive learning environment, all whilst maintaining a distance learning programme.

“Pupils have been able to check in with form tutors, get reassurance and advice, and make sure they are ready for whatever September might bring.

“Most importantly though, we have given staff the freedom to be creative and to try new things. Our pupils have been learning on screens for three months now – when they are on site, we want them to do something different. So, as well as maintaining their literacy, numeracy and wellbeing, pupils have been out in the fresh air orienteering, playing team-building games or simply building up their skills and fitness on Just Dance!

“Attendance has been really pleasing and everyone, both staff and pupils, have left with a smile on their faces. We very much hope we can devote one or two days at the start of the new academic year to finish the transition programme for Year 6 pupils that we were unable to complete this summer.

“The Governing body, staff, pupils and their families and the local authority have combined excellently to achieve a huge amount in a short space of time. We all want to get back to normal as soon as it is safe to do so, but until then we are delighted with how the ‘new normal’ is going.”

Children that are shielding or are living with someone in this group should not come back this term and should continue learning at home.

Parents who choose not to send their children back will not be fined and will also continue to receive support with home learning.

Term finishes on July 17.

Executive Board Member for Education and Children’s Services Cllr Glynog Davies said: “I am delighted that pupils and staff have had such a great first week back at school. I think it is really important that they have had this opportunity to catch up before the summer holidays.

“I visited Ysgol Brynaman and it was wonderful to see how pleased the children were to be back seeing their friends and teachers for the first time in over three months.

“We have already started to plan for September and as soon as we have further guidance from Welsh Government, we will be able to share these details with parents.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Education

Carmarthenshire Council offers career opportunities through new Care Academi 

Published

on

Cllr Jane Tremlett, Cabinet Member for Social Care

CARMARTHENSHIRE County Council has launched a new Care Academi which offers exciting opportunities to those looking for a career in social work or social care.

Open to all ages, the Academi will provide training, support and guidance to successful applicants, enabling them to earn while they learn and choose a career path that suits them best.

With a blend of on-the-job training and education, there are various opportunities to explore the variety of social care and social work roles on offer.

All applicants must have a minimum of two GCSEs (grade A* – D) or equivalent in English, Welsh or Maths.

Cllr Jane Tremlett, Cabinet Member for Social Care said: “Our new Care Academi offers fantastic opportunities to those looking for a career in social work or care.

“Successful applicants could achieve a degree in social work or a level five management qualification, but there are also opportunities throughout the programme to find an alternative role that suits you best if completing a degree isn’t for you.

“If you are motivated, have a positive attitude and are looking for the first exciting step in a new career then we want to hear from you and welcome your application.”

For more information or to apply please visit www.Carmarthenshire.gov.wales/careacademi 

Continue Reading

Education

Funding for music education trebled to the tune of £13.5m

Published

on

EVERY child will have the opportunity to benefit from music education as part of the Welsh Government’s plans for a national music service, which will help ensure no child misses out due to a lack of means.

As the National Plan for Music Education is published, the Minister for Education has confirmed funding will be trebled, with £13.5m being invested over the next three years.

The plan will make access to music education fairer and more consistent across Wales, with a particular focus on learners from low-income households and those with Additional Learning Needs. Support will be available for children and young people to access and progress with music tuition, with learners from disadvantaged and under-represented groups supported to join music ensembles.

The plan includes a number of key work programmes such as:

A review on music tutors’ terms and conditions, to ensure they are treated equitably and are recognised properly.
A ‘First Experiences’ programme to offer children in primary schools a minimum of half a term of musical instrument taster sessions, delivered by trained and skilled music practitioners.
A ‘Making Music with Others’ initiative, including opportunities for children and young people in secondary schools to gain industry experience through working alongside musicians and creative industries
A new national instrument and equipment library to support access to a resource bank to be shared across Wales.
These programmes will be rolled out from September 2022, supporting schools and settings to give all children and young people from the ages of 3 to 16 the opportunity to learn to play an instrument as well as singing and making music in our schools and our communities.

The National Music Service will operate as a ‘hub’, with the Welsh Local Government Association co-ordinating the Music Service’s programmes with a wide range of organisations. It will help schools and settings in their delivery of the Curriculum for Wales and provide more diverse opportunities for children and young people to experience music outside schools and settings.

First Minister of Wales, Mark Drakeford and the Minister for Education and Welsh Language, Jeremy Miles, visited St Joseph’s Cathedral Primary School in Swansea to see a cluster of primary school children taking part in a ‘Play Along’ session led by Swansea Music Service.

First Minister Mark Drakeford said:

“The establishment of a National Music Service for Wales is an important commitment in our Programme for Government and I’m delighted that we are delivering on this pledge.

“Learning an instrument was a formative part of my upbringing and a lack of money should not be a barrier to any young person who wants to learn to play music. We are fortunate in Wales to have a strong tradition of school, county and national ensembles, and we want to make sure that our children and young people are able to play a full part in these. This funding will support music services in schools and within the community to help nurture our young musical talent.”

The Minister for Education and the Welsh Language, Jeremy Miles said:

“Our vision is for all children and young people across Wales, regardless of background, to have the chance to learn to play an instrument. The plan we are publishing today, backed by funding, will help deliver that vision.

“For too long, the chance to learn an instrument and develop musical skills has been for those few whose families and carers who can afford tuition. I want to make sure everyone has the opportunity to access music tuition, and that’s why we’re making this significant investment to deliver a range of activities for our children and young people to learn and experience the joy of music.

“The development of the National Music Service will ensure that we nurture our next generation and continue to produce new talent and showcase Wales to the world.”

WLGA Chief Executive Chris Llewelyn said:

“We are proud to work with the Welsh Government on delivering this vital service to children across Wales. Many families in Wales can’t afford an instrument, and this funding will go a long way to opening doors to children across Wales to have the opportunity of learning an instrument.

“Playing an instrument and reading music is a very important skill for a child, and music brings enormous joy to children. Local authorities believe that children across Wales will have better access to instruments, and this plan will develop many future talented musicians, and support pupils to develop their musical skills.”

Continue Reading

Education

Carmarthen headteacher struck off for telling staff to falsify pupil attendance figures

Published

on

A HEADTEACHER who told staff to fiddle his school’s attendance figures to log pupils as present when they were not in classes and then tried to influence an official investigation, has been banned from the classroom.
Peter Andrew Spencer began the five year long deception at Queen Elizabeth High in Carmarthen, after an Estyn inspection recommended attendance was improved, a professional standards hearing was told.

Schools get more funding and rank better on national performance measures the higher attendance is.
More than 28,000 pupil absences at the bilingual school were changed to showing as present between 2014 and 2019 before a member of staff reported it, an Education Workforce Council Wales panel heard.

Mr Spencer, who left the 1,500-pupil school with a financial settlement from Camarthenshire Council in 2020 after nine years in post, told members of staff to falsify attendance data on the School Information Management System, witnesses told the hearing.
Luke Lambourne, presenting officer for the EWC said one member of staff identified only as “Person A” was drawn into the head’s “web of deceit” out of misguided loyalty while others felt “under pressure” to join in the deception.
One senior member of staff told the committee he was among those asked by the headteacher to alter codes “n” for not present and “i” for ill to a symbol showing those pupils as present.

The man, who gave evidence to the remote hearing held on May 11 and 12, but was identified only as “Person D” said he had felt anxious the whole time he was involved.
He admitted he had been “weak” in doing so, but denied, when questioned, that he had instigated the deception which he said was masterminded by the head.

“Person D” told the panel he was asked by Mr Spencer to make “illegitimate amendments” to attendance data” to “show the school in a good light” and that this “dishonest practice” continued with other staff. “It was difficult to say no to the headteacher’s decision,” he told the panel.

Mr Spencer, who now works as head of an international school abroad, was not at the hearing or represented. He did not formally respond to the four allegations against him in person but did so in a written statement of mitigation to the hearing.
In his the statement, Mr Spencer denied ever instructing any staff to alter the absence data. Blaming “Person D” for the changing the attendance figures he admitted that he, as head, then failed to report it.
The headteacher said he kept quiet about the deception because he understood the pressure staff were under from agencies outside the school including Estyn, the local education authority and school consortia.
“I have never instructed any employee to falsely inflate attendance data,” Mr Spencer’s written statement said, “I accept fully that being aware of malpractice and in not acting I condoned the malpractice.”
And he went on: “I did not instigate the programme of attendance inflation. The action was started by my colleague (Person D) unbeknown (sic) to me.” Mr Spencer added that schools were under so much pressure at the time that “anecdotally it was believed data manipulation was widespread”.
The deception was finally reported to school governors by another member of staff in autumn 2018. The committee was told that the “whistle blower” reported being told by someone involved that data was being “fiddled”.

The allegations against Mr Spencer included:

That he was guilty of unacceptable professional conduct in that between, or around January 2014 and February 2019, he instructed employee(s) at Queen Elizabeth High School to amend pupil attendance data on the School’s School Management Information System (SIMS) in a way that falsely inflated the data.

That the conduct was dishonest and/or lacked integrity.

That he discussed details of the disciplinary investigation in respect of allegation 1 above with staff identified as Person A and/or Person D, when he knew that he should not discuss the investigation with school employees; and/or they were, or were likely to be witnesses to the investigation.

The conduct as outlined in allegation 3 was inappropriate in that it: a) breached confidentiality; and/or b) had the potential to influence the progress/outcome of the investigation; and/or c) was intended to influence the progress and/or outcome of the investigation.

In relation to allegation 1, Mr Spencer denied ever instructing any employee to falsify data, but admitted when he became aware did not report it, which he said was tantamount to condoning it. Mr Spencer accepted in writing allegations 2, 3a and 3b, 4a and 4b but not 4c.
Finding all allegations proved the committee found that taken together they amounted to unacceptable professional conduct.
“I fully accept my actions fall below the standards expected of a headteacher,” Mr Spencer admitted in his written statement.
Striking him off the teaching register in Wales, committee chair Peter Owen said: “In the committee’s view this was a protracted, serious instance of misconduct over many years.”
Mr Owen said Mr Spencer’s “extent of regret and remorse is limited and not where it should be.”

He added that when the deception came to light the headteacher had tried to influence, rather than accept the investigation. He said the committee took into account Mr Spencer’s former unblemished record and the good testimony from his current school employer overseas. But the matters were so serious, protracted and dishonest that there was no option but to strike him off.
Mr Spencer may not apply to re-join the register in less than five years. He has 28 days to appeal to the High Court.

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK