Connect with us


Llandysul bowl Llangennech over



LLANDYSUL’s Ashleigh Cox and Rhidian Harris each took three wickets to help their side to victory over Llangennech on Saturday (Jun 1).

Llandysul had been bowled out for only 115 but they produced an equally as good bowling performance to bowl their opponents out for 99 and earn the win by 16 runs.

The home side won the toss and elected to field but they saw Llandysul’s openers Rhidian Harris and Bleddyn Morgan share 54 runs for the first wicket.

Harris hit three fours on his way to a score of 24 but he was caught and bowled by Matthew Jones.

Bleddyn Morgan only found the boundary twice in his score of 32 and he was then caught by Bav Patel off the bowling of Matthew Jones.

Photo by Darren Harries

Ashleigh Cox was then caught by Hedd-Wyn Jones off the bowling of Stuart Goddard as Llangennech began to put the pressure on.

Ben Edkins and Llewellyn Hughes shared another 19 runs but when Edkins was caught by David Williams off the bowling of Jones, wickets began to fall regularly.

That left them on 86-4 and it soon became 90-5 as Steffan Jones was bowled by namesake Matthew.

Carwyn Evans and Hugo Laing were both caught and bowled by Matthew and Michael Jones respectively as they slipped to 108-7.

Matthew Jones then claimed his sixth wicket as he had Llewellyn Hughes caught by Hedd-Wyn Jones on a score of 27 that had included two fours and a six.

Luke Swift was then run out by Stuart Goddard and Michael Jones brought the innings to a close when he bowled Andrew Barrett.

Llangennech got off to a bad start in their reply as openers Scott Lloyd and Stuart Goddard both fell to Ashleigh Cox without scoring.

Cox also had David Williams caught by Andrew Barrett to leave Llangennech reeling on 8-3.

Jonny Taube and Matthew Jones did their best to stop the flow of wickets as they shared 49 runs for the fourth wicket.

Jones was then caught by Carwyn Evans off the bowling of namesake Steffan.

Taube was next out as he was bowled by Rhidian Harris on a score of 29.

James Taube was then bowled by Hugo Laing who also then trapped Hedd-Wyn Jones leg before on a score of ten.

85-7 then became 85-9 as first Chris Hickey was stumped by Barrett off the bowling of Harris and Michael Jones was then caught by Barrett off the same bowler.

Bav Patel was then caught by Barrett off the bowling of Llewellyn Hughes, bringing the game to an end with Llangennech all out on 99.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Amman earn first win of the season



AMMAN United claimed their first win of the season after an opening-day draw, and a cup defeat at Haverfordwest last weekend.

However, you would have been hard pushed to imagine a 50-point final-score when, just before half time, the score remained 0-0.

But two injury time scores had then given Amman an unlikely 12-0 interval lead against the Bulldogs.

A bright opening from United saw centre Gavin Lewis, on yet another comeback, show his trickery with a nice run and offload early on. Hooker George Clark had a fine game and was in the thick of everything, as were fellow forwards Iwan Davies, Dan Jones, Rhydian Jones and captain Alun Lewis.

Bynea suffered a very early blow, losing Corey Butler to an untimely injury, and they were later to also see Jamie Thomas limp off before half time.

These injuries meant a large period of added-time, and the Bulldogs’ valiant defence cracked during the injury-time as Joel Foster and Alun Lewis combined to put in flanker Rhydian Jones for the opening try, which Tom Caddell converted.

A frustrating couple of minutes for the visitors was compounded when a quick tap and go penalty from scrum half Foster saw him smuggle over the try line for a second try on the stroke of half time.

The Reds continued in good heart after the restart, and after some good play,Foster and and Dan Jones were involved before Rhydian Jones slipped a fine offload to skipper Alun Lewis who went under the posts for another converted try.

Another “vet” came on, Adrian Thomas off the bench as the home side largely dominated with their pack in the ascendency, Cian Lewis, Jason Knell and Rhys Phillips having put in a good shift throughout.

The Bulldogs then had a purple patch for a while,centre Jack Mal almost finishing off a fine move, before more calamity struck for them as Jake Sam was sadly stretchered off.

Amman capitalised and grabbed a bonus point try when the excellent George Clarke went over for another score to make it 24-0.

But the dogged visitors were always a threat, and carved out an excellent try for their efforts as wing Nathan Baker finished off a well-worked team move, which outside half Finlay Cook converted.

Amman hit back when the back row combined well before Dan Jones went over the whitewash for a try.

A very young Bynea side battled to the end,and some more excellent play was rewarded with a try for Tom Badger, converted by Cook.

However, the home side had the last word and grabbed a very late injury time try as the industrious Rhydian Jones crossed for the final score of the game.

Amman face a tough trip to Tumble on Saturday, October 1, while Bynea are home against New Dock Stars.

Continue Reading


Ammanford upset Penybont to reach MG Cup quarter finals



Report by Ian Parfitt

AMMANFORD produced arguably the shock of the third round in the MG Nathaniel Cup with a 2-1 victory at Penybont, who currently sit third in the Cymru Premier League, on Tuesday night (Sept 20).

Penybont started the game well and looked dangerous with ex Ammanford player Kai Whitmore calling the shots.

Ammanford however were also playing some neat football themselves and this was quickly becoming a competitive contest.

Ammanford took the lead in the 28th minute when Brett Enoch took advantage of a moment of calamity in the Penybont defence to fire home.

As expected Penybont increased the pressure on the Ammanford goal in search of an equaliser but Ammanford held firm to go into the interval ahead.

Kyle Marsh in particular having a fine game in the Ammanford goal. Ammanford fans would have been expecting a long 45 minutes after the break but it only took a minute for Penybont to find the equaliser, Mael Davies scoring with a firm header.

Penybont were hungry for more goals and looked especially dangerous from the flanks. The Ammanford defence, who were superb throughout held firm under a barrage of high balls into the box.

Ammanford were also keen to get a second and looked dangerous on the counter attack, both Jordan Langley and Callum Silcox going agonisingly close to restoring the visitors’ lead.

The Ammanford defence continued to form a formidable wall at the back which Penybont were unable to breach.

This fantastic rearguard action was rewarded in the 81st minute when Callum Thomas scored what turned out to be the winner for Ammanford, running through on goal and producing a composed finish to slot the ball past Penybont keeper Alex Pennock.

Ammanford players continued to put their bodies on the line to preserve the lead, epitomised by Tom Pratt who took one on the head in the six yard box.

Lee Trundle spurned a glorious chance to make the game safe for Ammanford with a couple of minutes remaining but it mattered not as the final whistle produced jubilant scenes in the away camp.

Ammanford progress to the Fourth round on what was a glorious night for the club.

Photos by Lawrence Molloy
Continue Reading


Strong Ammanford performance seals Cup win over Whitland



AMMANFORD got their Division 1 Cup campaign off to an excellent start on Saturday (Sept 17) as they beat Whitland 42-13.

Ammanford built up a 17-3 lead and increased that further to 8-29 before pulling away in the closing stages.

Geraint Jones scored a penalty for Whitland and unconverted tries from Gino Setaro and Lewis Gibby followed.

Captain Alex Davies was named as Ammanford’s man of the match as he lead his side to a bonus point win.

The scrum half was among the try scorers as were Morgan Plimmer, Rhodri Jones, Liam Smith, Carwyn Richards, Mathew Lemon and Tiaan Evans.

Ryan Williams added four conversions and one penalty for the visitors.

The next round of Cup fixtures is scheduled for October 15. Ammanford host Newcastle Emlyn while Whitland travel to Tondu.

Ammanford return to action in League 1 West Central on Saturday, September 24 as they host Birchgrove.

Whitland are also back in league action in League 1 West as they visit Pembroke.

Continue Reading