Connect with us


JDVII homes in on more records



JUDGEMENT Day is again on target to break the Guinness PRO14 season attendance record – with 40,000 fans already booked in to see their Grand Slam heroes return to Principality Stadium.

Sales are soaring a month out from the double header, which sees the Scarlets and Dragons go head to head at 3.00pm, before Cardiff Blues take on the Ospreys at 5.15pm on Saturday, April 27, in the annual face-off between Welsh rugby’s four professional sides.

After 36,000 showed for the inaugural Judgement Day event in 2013, supporters have continued to turn out in their droves and the last three events have attracted crowds of over 60,000, providing the lead attendance figures for any round in the competition on each occasion.

At last season’s back-to-back JDVI clash 62,338 again made it the highest attended event in the Guinness PRO14 calendar, beating the Final which was watched by 46,092 at Aviva Stadium in Dublin.

“This will be my first experience of Judgement Day and I’m really excited for the occasion,” said the Blues head coach John Mulvihill.

“It’s fantastic to hear that more than 40,000 tickets have already been sold, and having seen the Principality Stadium in full flow over the Six Nations, it’s set to be a memorable evening of rugby in the capital.

“I watched last year’s Judgement Day from Australia and what struck me was the intensity of both matches and the fantastic and unique atmosphere created when you have fans from all four regions coming together.

“This year we could have three teams still in the hunt for a play-off spot, and that added jeopardy could raise the roof at the stadium. I can’t wait.

“One of our aims at the start of the season was to become the best region in Wales.

“There’s no better platform than Judgement Day to prove this and a win over Ospreys would mean we’ve got five victories from our six derby matches this season, so there’s a lot to play for.”

JDIV, in 2016, remains the best attended to date, after it broke every attendance record in the history of Welsh domestic rugby when 68,262 supporters took their places under the national stadium’s famous retractable roof.

The previous Welsh domestic record was set when 58,000 fans attended the Neath v Llanelli WRU Challenge Cup Final in 1989 and the record for any match involving a region had been the Ospreys’ victory over Leicester Tigers at Twickenham in the EDF Energy Cup Final in 2008 – which was watched by a 65,756-strong crowd.

The showpiece JDVII event has extra impetus this year with Wales’ unbeaten 2019 Guinness Six Nations heroes due to collide in regional colours and places in the Guinness PRO14 knock-out stages also likely to be on the line in each game, so a 73,931 capacity crowd has to be the target.

“The play-off race is going to go down to the wire, so there’s no doubt the matches are going to be tasty affairs as they always are,” said Scarlets head coach Wayne Pivac, whose side won the competition in 2017 and reached the final in Dublin last year.

“Whenever you get in front of a big crowd like that we all enjoy it as do the coaches. We love a good atmosphere.

“It makes for a good day out for everyone and hopefully we will get another big crowd. It’s a great stadium with massive history.

“Every young player wants to go out there and play. Even our international players who have played there many times think it is a special occasion.

“It’s also a big opportunity for a lot of players who haven’t been playing Test rugby to go and show Warren Gatland that they can perform on the big stage.”

JDVII sees Wales’ four regions play-out the 21st and final round of conference stages in the Guinness PRO14, with places in the knock-out stages likely to be achievable for the Scarlets, Ospreys and Cardiff Blues, dependant on other results over the next few weeks.

The top three teams from each conference progress to the knock-out stages of the competition, with the ultimate aim of a place in the 2019 Guinness PRO14 Final in Celtic Park, Glasgow, in May.

“It’s always a big occasion for Welsh rugby with a huge crowd and a fantastic atmosphere,” said Ospreys head coach Allen Clarke, whose side have won the league, in its various guises, on four occasions themselves (2005, ‘07, ‘10, ‘12) – a feat only surpassed by reigning Champions Leinster who lifted their fifth title last season.

“We hope there’ll be plenty riding on the game in terms of qualification and play-offs.

“However, regardless of league placings there’s always regional rivalry and pride at stake.”

Tickets are priced at £25 middle tier and £15 for both lower and upper tier adult access – with the £10, U16 concession ticket available for all lower and upper seating, to ensure the family event is accessible for all.

“Derby matches are always the games that players, fans and coaches look forward to most in a season and to finish the PRO14 fixtures with a real sense of occasion and an end of season finale makes it an exciting for all involved,” added Dragons head coach Ceri Jones.

“Playing the Scarlets is always a massive challenge, but coming up against one of our local rivals off the back of the Wales Grand Slam success at Principality Stadium is a fitting climax to the season as players go head to head in pushing their claims for involvement in the Rugby World Cup and for regional pride.

“It’s sure to be a fantastic experience for all four teams and the fans.”

Print at home tickets, which don’t incur a postage charge, are available in all categories, with normal booking fees at £1 per ticket and post & packaging at £3 via

JUDGEMENT DAY VII, Saturday, April 27, Principality Stadium:

Dragons v Scarlets – Kick Off 1500hrs

Cardiff Blues v Ospreys – Kick Off 1715hrs

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Five-star Old Gold sink students



AFTER Carmarthen opened their Cymru South League home programme some 12 days ago with a comprehensive victory over Llantwit Major they improved on even that performance with this crushing demolition of Swansea Uni who were kept deep under pressure in their own half for much of the match.

From the start Town launched a series of piercing attacks which the visitors struggled to contain.

On 5 minutes a sweeping move along the right-flank began with Jordan Vickers sprinting upfield and then playing the ball on to Liam Thomas who threaded a fine pass across to Matthew Delaney – from the corner of the penalty area he struck a fierce angled shot that goal-keeper Ben Edwards, at full-stretch, turned aside.

Yet soon afterwards the Old Gold took the lead. After 9 minutes Vickers passed the ball across Jamie Rickard who instantly sent it on to Thomas, inside the penalty area, and Town’s all-time top scorer clinically converted the opportunity.

Then on 12 minutes Delaney, from the right-wing, sent a fine long cross into the goalmouth where Scott Tancock saw his close-range glancing header fly just wide of the goal.

At this stage Town were dominating the game with their pace and movement. On 22 minutes Rickard threaded an excellent pass to Thomas on the edge the penalty area but with defenders nearby his hurried shot went marginally off-target.

In the 25th minute Vickers, a particular constant threat to the opponents’ defenders, fired an inviting cross into the goalmouth where Noah Daley was just unable to reach the ball for a simple tap-in opportunity.

The visitors, during all this time, had managed little in terms of creating a serious attacking threat. However on 30 minutes George Sellick broke clear from the centre-circle and struck a 25 yard volley which Carmarthen ‘keeper Ifan Knott, having raced some way out of his goal, first blocked and then claimed the loose ball.

But that was just a brief interruption to Town’s search for more goals and the certainty of three League points.

On 36 minutes Daley embarked on a remarkable solo run – having taken possession of the ball on the edge of the centre-circle he proceeded to pass 3 defenders and move into the penalty area then dismissively go around Edwards and drive the ball in to the empty net.

Soon afterwards, in the 39th minute, the Old Gold scored again when Thomas, on the half-way line, played a fine pass forward to Bradley Gibbings who raced free towards the penalty area where he neatly side-stepped Edwards, who was bereft of any defensive cover for the second successive time, and slid the ball into the net.

Then, to conclude a most productive 45 minutes a superb long pass out of defence was chased by Jaime Rickard deep into the visitors’ half – as Edwards came well out of his penalty area to challenge him Rickard neatly crossed the ball to Daley who converted an easy tap-in goal.

After the interval, with Carmarthen having such a commanding lead, neither team appeared to show much urgency in the blistering heat of the day. Yet in the 60th minute Town extended their lead with a well-worked move.

Vickers sprinted along the right flank before sending a deep cross to the far side of the goal area where Daley arrived with perfect timing and planted a powerful header past Edwards and into the back of the net.

The Old Gold continued to hold the advantage over the University team, in terms of both possession and territory, but the only further goalmouth action arose after 80 minutes – following a free-kick Rickard struck a promising 20 yard drive that Edwards, at full-stretch, turned around the post.

This was a most welcome result, not only in terms of the quality of the performance but also in that Town have now moved up into 5th place in the League table.

The Old Gold’s League programme now continues with a visit Goytre United on Friday, August 19, k/o 7.30pm.

Continue Reading


Wanderers win to keep promotion hopes alive



CARMARTHEN Wanderers earned a big win on Saturday (Aug 13) as they beat Ynysygerwn by 162 runs.

The win keeps them in third place in Division 2 of the South Wales Premier League, 29 points off the top two. However, their next fixture is at home against league leaders Ynystawe.

On Saturday, Ynysygerwn won the toss and chose to field and they saw the Wanderers rack up 262-8 from their 50 overs.

Owen Bailey hit three early boundaries (1 six, 2 fours) before being run out on a score of 16 and Tom Davies reached a score of 25 before falling lbw to Emyr Lawrence.

Owain Binding made 17 before being stumped as the Wanderers were reduced to 82-3.

Gareth Thomas and Robbie Crawford took over and they shared 87 runs for the fourth wicket.

Thomas hit seven fours and two sixes in his score of 63 from 58 balls but he was then caught by Adam Davies off the bowling of Nathan Davies.

Carl Holding was also stumped and Liam Rogers fell on a score of 10 when he was caught and bowled by Nathan Davies.

Crawford then reached his half century as he and Eddie Byng added 34 runs for the seventh wicket but Byng became the third batsman to be stumped.

Ian Hughes was out for a third-ball duck before Crawford and Harry Conick finished unbeaten.

Conick hit a late six to finish not out on 8 while Crawford was unbeaten on 71 after hitting six fours and two sixes.

Ynysygerwn were in trouble early on in their reply as they slipped to 16-3. Ryan Sylvester made a score of 29 before falling lbw to Owen Bailey.

Adam Davies made a score of 15 for the home side but it wasn’t enough as they were bowled out for 100.

Binding was the pick of the bowlers as he finished with 5-22. Chris Turrell, Ian Hughes, Tom Davies and Owen Bailey all picked up a wicket each.

The Wanderers’ game with leaders Ynystawe starts at 12:30pm on Saturday, August 20.

Continue Reading


Ammanford seal place in top flight



AMMANFORD sealed their place in next season’s top flight with a thrilling one wicket victory over Bridgend at the Park.

Bridgend won the toss and batted first, losing three quick wickets to the excellent bowling of Matthew Davies (2-20) and Dan Roberts (1-30).

However, captain Tom Baker joined opener Sam Wood at the crease and these two provided Bridgend’s main partnership of 81.

The hard track and fast outfield promised a big score but Ammanford’s bowlers stuck to their task and dismissed the visitors for 199 in their penultimate over.

Xavier Clarke bowled well for his 2 for 31 and Owen Davies cleaned up at the end with 3 for 61.

Ammanford got off to a poor start, losing regular wickets until, at 56 for 4, Rhys-Huw Davies joined opener Kurtis Marsh to provide a steadying half century partnership.

However, with the departure of Marsh for 42, three wickets fell for the addition of a single run, and Ammanford were staring down the barrel of another disappointing defeat.

Enter skipper Alun Evans, coming in at number 9 after recovering from a long afternoon in the field.

Evans and Davies added a quick 21 runs before Davies departed for an invaluable 33.

Ammanford were now well into the tail, 8 wickets down and still 68 runs short of their target. Their two last batsmen faced the daunting task of staying in with their skipper while he tried to knock off the runs.

Which, to their credit, is exactly what they did. First, Owen Davies (18) added 33 priceless runs with his captain while last man Matthew Davies (9no) courageously stuck in until the winning runs were scored. Evans finished a true captain’s innings unbeaten on 49.

Ammanford are now safe in 7th place, 60 points clear of bottom club Clydach whom they welcome to the Park next Saturday.

On Wednesday evening, Ammanford travel to Port Talbot to play the semi-final of the SWCA T20
knockout cup. Wickets pitched at 5.45pm.

Ammanford seconds lose by 67 runs

Ammanford seconds lost by 67 runs to Carmarthen Wanderers at Trinity Fields. Carmarthen batted first and were dismissed for 177 in the 42nd over

Top scorer was skipper Giles Thomas (41), supported by Oliver John (27) and James Connick (24).

Tomos Roach was Ammanford’s top wicket taker with 4 for 20. Cian Roach and Iwan Matthews picked up a couple of wickets each.

In reply, Ammanford’s batsmen just couldn’t stay in long enough to make an impression on the scoreboard. Cian Roach (27) and Steffan Williams (22) did their best but the overall response simply
wasn’t good enough and they were all out for 110 after just 25 overs.

Third XI lose by eight wickets

Ammanford thirds went down by 8 wickets to Llandarcy.

Ammanford reached 150 for 9 in their 40 overs, thanks to opener Steve Hagget (45) and skipper Neville Pritchard (35). Llandarcy’s Jon Pryce took 4 for 18.

Despite losing two early wickets, Llandarcy took just 22 overs to pass the Ammanford total, with unbeaten half centuries from David Noall and Gareth Richards.

Continue Reading