Connect with us


Blues earn a point



CWMAMMAN United travelled to a wet and windy Leckwith Stadium on Saturday (Jan 26) and came away with a point having come up against a resurgent Pontypridd.

Cwm once again had to ring the changes due to some unavailability of players with forwards Brieg Matthews and Calem Rees once again covering at full back but the management will have been relieved to have had the returning Chris Curtis in goal as he had an excellent match.

Ponty were on the front foot from the start and the threat was increasing gradually. Then on around nine minutes the Ponty winger cut inside at the edge of the box and sent a perfect curling shot into the left hand corner leaving Curtis with no chance.

The rain continued to come down heavily and Ponty created a couple of good chances that they should have put away.

They were then awarded a free kick on the edge of the box which saw another excellent curling shot on its way to goal.

As their players started to celebrate Curtis produced a superb save from nowhere. Then a few minutes later with a Ponty player through on goal Curtis produced another great save.

This finally stung Cwm into action and a cross from the overlapping Calem Rees just flew over the bar while some good close play Colin Harris fired a good shot which was tipped over the bar by the Ponty keeper.

The players went in at half time with the score 1-0 with Cwm needing to find a more consistent way into the game.

As they have done a number of times this season Cwm started the second half positively and started to grow into the game.

Chrissy Allen found some space at a corner but headed over and then some good interplay between Allen, Harris and Ryan Hurlow saw the keeper make a good save from close.

Then midway through the second half a good through ball from Ashley Johns saw Ashley Curtis surge into the box where he was pulled down. The referee waved play on but the linesman at that side flagged and after a discussion the penalty was given.

Colin Harris calmly stepped up and smashed it into the roof of the net. Cwm then survived a scare as some hesitancy in defence saw the Ponty centre forward chip the oncoming Curtis but his effort bounced off the crossbar.

With Nathan McNeill strong in defence and the hardworking Ross Morgan prompting attacks Curtis and Hurlow were beginning to find space and chances were now coming at both ends.

The final five minutes saw Cwm have their best chances with Colin Harris foiled by an excellent save around the post and some excellent individual play which saw him push past a couple of defenders to only see his shot go agonisingly wide of the post with the keeper beaten.

A 1-1 game which could easily have gone either way based on the chances created.

On Saturday (Feb 2) Cwm are again on their travels away at Briton Ferry Llansawel.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Mumbles win well against Ammanford seconds



AMMANFORD seconds suffered a heavy 125 run defeat at the hands of Mumbles at Marespool.

Winning the toss, Ammanford invited Mumbles to bat first, and a terrific 188 run partnership for the second wicket, featuring Ben Jones (94) and Stuart Seaton (77), helped the home team to a healthy 221 for 4 in 45 overs.

Several Ammanford batsmen got into double figures but none were able to stay long enough to make any impression on the run chase. Eirian Morgan top-scored with 25, but the Ammanford innings finished disappointingly on 96 all out.

Gethin Morgan and Phil Roche each took three wickets for Mumbles.

Thirds beaten by Landore

Ammanford thirds travelled to Landore only to lose their match by 50 runs.

Ammanford skipper Carl Griffiths put Landore in to bat, and the home team scored 148 for 9. Landore
skipper Terry Summerfield top-scored with 33.

Ammanford’s Tom Davies was chief wicket-taker with 4 for 38.

Despite a solid 30 from opener and man-of-the-match Tom Davies, Ammanford failed to get anywhere near the required target and folded their innings on 98 inside 34 overs.

The defeat dropped them out of the top half of division six on the SWCA.

Continue Reading


Cwmamman United Juniors host end of season event



CWMAMMAN United juniors held their end of season event at Clwb Godre’r Mynydd Ddu Glanamman.

As they celebrated throughout the day with their different age groups from Under 6 to Under 14 it looked as if almost every child in the Cwm had attended at some point.

The Juniors section at the club has grown to around 150 children over the last couple of years and with a dedicated and enthusiastic group of committee, coaches and volunteers behind them the club is excitedly anticipating further growth.

A fantastic time was had by all with all age groups proudly having their moment in the sun.

Robert Griffiths the Clubs Junior Chairman said: “I have to thank all our fantastic people at the club that get the kids out playing whether sorting games, coaching, fund raising or organising events such as our club parties and awards such as these.

“We continiue to grow and if your child would like to be part of a safe, healthy and fun environment they are most welcome here.”

Continue Reading


Depleted Ammanford beaten by seven wickets



A DEPLETED Ammanford lost by seven wickets to Bridgend Town in a rain affected match at windswept Newbridge Fields on Satuday (Jun 25).

With the start delayed by over an hour because of rain, the match was reduced to 39 overs before a ball was bowled, and the toss immediately became the crucial factor in deciding the game’s outcome.

Bridgend won it and, predictably enough, put Ammanford in to bat.

The writing was on the wall as the visitors lost two wickets for 9 runs on an unpredictable wicket which was one of the first bowler-friendly tracks encountered this season.

Only four batters reached double figures as wickets fell at regular intervals. Top scorer was 14 year old wicket-keeper Gruffudd Owen (19no) who took the game to the visitors and looked capable of scoring many more had he not run out of partners.

Ammanford were all out for 90 inside 30 overs.

Tea was taken early as more heavy rain swept across Newbridge Fields, but unfortunately for Ammanford the sun made a reappearance and play eventually resumed.

The Bridgend batters did not have it all their own way, quickly losing both openers to opening bowler Owen Davies.

Davies removed a further wicket in a good spell of 3 for 15, but Thomas Cogbill (43no) and Luke Humphries (18) saw Bridgend safely home without further trouble inside 24 overs.

Next week, Ammanford welcome second placed Swansea to the Park, the memory of their 700+ run clash at St Helen’s still fresh in their minds.

Thirds beat Pontardawe by a single run

Ammanford thirds beat Pontardawe by a single run in a rain adjusted match at the Rec.

Batting first, Ammanford reached 132 all out, thanks mainly to their captain Carl Griffiths (41) and Dafydd Wyn Jones (21).

Rain meant that Pontardawe’s reply was restricted to just 16 overs, during which they had to score 53 runs.

They came very close, but two wickets each from Oliver Pallot and Iwan Matthews interrupted their progress and they fell short by a single run, finishing on 51 for 5.

The victory moved Ammanford into the top half of SWCA’s Division 6.

Continue Reading