Connect with us


Old Gold earn a point



AFTER the horror-show of their previous game versus Bala Town just four days previously, Llanelli Town finally came up with a display which proves they are more than capable of raising their game, and they more than matched their near neighbours when they met on Boxing Day.

Some tactical changes by manager Andy Hill were instrumental in ensuring the home side competed with their opponents in every department, and they began on the front foot from the start, with James Loveridge firing just wide when Chris Jones set up the chance.

Another slick move involving a number of players culminated in Michael George curling his finish at the goal, only to be thwarted by Carmarthen keeper Lee Idzi who diverted it around for a corner.

When the Old Gold countered, Oliver Davies in the home goal was forced off his line to push clear from Liam Thomas when he chased down a ball from Lewis Baldwin.

Photo by Darren Harries

They threatened again shortly after, when a Declan Carroll corner was met at the far post by Greg Walters who in turn found Lee Surman, but he was unable to direct his effort on target.

Both sides continued to probe for the all – important opener, with possession being evenly contested, but at the interval neither goal had been breached, and it was still all to play for in the second half.

The Reds were forced into a change during the interval when Ross Jones, making his first appearance since suffering a serious shoulder injury, was forced to give way to academy player, Jamie Owen, but despite this disruption, they continued to be very much in the contest.

In fact, they were the first to threaten, with George lofting just over the bar from a Joe Clarke assist, before the visitors missed a glorious opportunity of breaking the deadlock with Thomas directing his header wide from close range when he met a cross into the box.

Luke Bowen was also culpable of spurning another good chance for the Old Gold, heading over the top from a Walters delivery, and at this stage, the hosts were coming under some serious pressure, but just about holding out.

Their goal survived another close call when a ball lofted into the goalmouth led to Davies failing to make a clean catch, and it dropped to the feet of Thomas, but again the chance was skied over the bar.

The visitors were made to pay for these costly lapses, when the Reds finally broke the deadlock on 67 minutes, following a break up the left which led to Jordan Davies delivering a great cross into the middle, and George was on hand to meet it with a firm header past Idzi.

Buoyed by this success, the home side took the game to the Old Gold, and when Jones was played in by Chris Thomas in midfield, his well struck shot was fractionally wide.

Photo by Darren Harries

Seemingly now in control of matters, the Reds were then hit by a sucker punch in the 77th minute, when a clearance upfield left the covering defence exposed, allowing Bowen to take full advantage of a one-to-one situation before rounding the oncoming Davies and rolling his finish into a vacant net.

Even with this setback, the Reds might well still have snatched all three points, but were denied by a great save by Idzi who turned over a point blank Clarke header from a Jones cross.

At the close, a share of the points was probably a fair reflection on the overall play, but both sides remain in the danger zone and in desperate need of a few wins to haul themselves clear of trouble.

After the return at Carmarthen on New Year`s Day, the Reds entertain the league`s basement side, Llandudno, on Saturday, January 5, kick off 2.30pm.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Amman earn first win of the season



AMMAN United claimed their first win of the season after an opening-day draw, and a cup defeat at Haverfordwest last weekend.

However, you would have been hard pushed to imagine a 50-point final-score when, just before half time, the score remained 0-0.

But two injury time scores had then given Amman an unlikely 12-0 interval lead against the Bulldogs.

A bright opening from United saw centre Gavin Lewis, on yet another comeback, show his trickery with a nice run and offload early on. Hooker George Clark had a fine game and was in the thick of everything, as were fellow forwards Iwan Davies, Dan Jones, Rhydian Jones and captain Alun Lewis.

Bynea suffered a very early blow, losing Corey Butler to an untimely injury, and they were later to also see Jamie Thomas limp off before half time.

These injuries meant a large period of added-time, and the Bulldogs’ valiant defence cracked during the injury-time as Joel Foster and Alun Lewis combined to put in flanker Rhydian Jones for the opening try, which Tom Caddell converted.

A frustrating couple of minutes for the visitors was compounded when a quick tap and go penalty from scrum half Foster saw him smuggle over the try line for a second try on the stroke of half time.

The Reds continued in good heart after the restart, and after some good play,Foster and and Dan Jones were involved before Rhydian Jones slipped a fine offload to skipper Alun Lewis who went under the posts for another converted try.

Another “vet” came on, Adrian Thomas off the bench as the home side largely dominated with their pack in the ascendency, Cian Lewis, Jason Knell and Rhys Phillips having put in a good shift throughout.

The Bulldogs then had a purple patch for a while,centre Jack Mal almost finishing off a fine move, before more calamity struck for them as Jake Sam was sadly stretchered off.

Amman capitalised and grabbed a bonus point try when the excellent George Clarke went over for another score to make it 24-0.

But the dogged visitors were always a threat, and carved out an excellent try for their efforts as wing Nathan Baker finished off a well-worked team move, which outside half Finlay Cook converted.

Amman hit back when the back row combined well before Dan Jones went over the whitewash for a try.

A very young Bynea side battled to the end,and some more excellent play was rewarded with a try for Tom Badger, converted by Cook.

However, the home side had the last word and grabbed a very late injury time try as the industrious Rhydian Jones crossed for the final score of the game.

Amman face a tough trip to Tumble on Saturday, October 1, while Bynea are home against New Dock Stars.

Continue Reading


Ammanford upset Penybont to reach MG Cup quarter finals



Report by Ian Parfitt

AMMANFORD produced arguably the shock of the third round in the MG Nathaniel Cup with a 2-1 victory at Penybont, who currently sit third in the Cymru Premier League, on Tuesday night (Sept 20).

Penybont started the game well and looked dangerous with ex Ammanford player Kai Whitmore calling the shots.

Ammanford however were also playing some neat football themselves and this was quickly becoming a competitive contest.

Ammanford took the lead in the 28th minute when Brett Enoch took advantage of a moment of calamity in the Penybont defence to fire home.

As expected Penybont increased the pressure on the Ammanford goal in search of an equaliser but Ammanford held firm to go into the interval ahead.

Kyle Marsh in particular having a fine game in the Ammanford goal. Ammanford fans would have been expecting a long 45 minutes after the break but it only took a minute for Penybont to find the equaliser, Mael Davies scoring with a firm header.

Penybont were hungry for more goals and looked especially dangerous from the flanks. The Ammanford defence, who were superb throughout held firm under a barrage of high balls into the box.

Ammanford were also keen to get a second and looked dangerous on the counter attack, both Jordan Langley and Callum Silcox going agonisingly close to restoring the visitors’ lead.

The Ammanford defence continued to form a formidable wall at the back which Penybont were unable to breach.

This fantastic rearguard action was rewarded in the 81st minute when Callum Thomas scored what turned out to be the winner for Ammanford, running through on goal and producing a composed finish to slot the ball past Penybont keeper Alex Pennock.

Ammanford players continued to put their bodies on the line to preserve the lead, epitomised by Tom Pratt who took one on the head in the six yard box.

Lee Trundle spurned a glorious chance to make the game safe for Ammanford with a couple of minutes remaining but it mattered not as the final whistle produced jubilant scenes in the away camp.

Ammanford progress to the Fourth round on what was a glorious night for the club.

Photos by Lawrence Molloy
Continue Reading


Strong Ammanford performance seals Cup win over Whitland



AMMANFORD got their Division 1 Cup campaign off to an excellent start on Saturday (Sept 17) as they beat Whitland 42-13.

Ammanford built up a 17-3 lead and increased that further to 8-29 before pulling away in the closing stages.

Geraint Jones scored a penalty for Whitland and unconverted tries from Gino Setaro and Lewis Gibby followed.

Captain Alex Davies was named as Ammanford’s man of the match as he lead his side to a bonus point win.

The scrum half was among the try scorers as were Morgan Plimmer, Rhodri Jones, Liam Smith, Carwyn Richards, Mathew Lemon and Tiaan Evans.

Ryan Williams added four conversions and one penalty for the visitors.

The next round of Cup fixtures is scheduled for October 15. Ammanford host Newcastle Emlyn while Whitland travel to Tondu.

Ammanford return to action in League 1 West Central on Saturday, September 24 as they host Birchgrove.

Whitland are also back in league action in League 1 West as they visit Pembroke.

Continue Reading