Connect with us


Reds well beaten by Bala



DESPITE the time of year being the season of good-will, Llanelli Town did not have to take the occasion quite so literally by allowing their opponents the freedom of the park throughout, leading to seven gift-wrapped goals.

To describe the Reds` defending as akin to schoolboys would be doing the youngsters a disservice, as yet another calamitous display led to further humiliation, a scenario which has become all too prevalent as the season progresses.

They have now shipped a total of 61 goals in 18 matches with a deficit of 43, and unless the squad is strengthened in the new year, the prospect of relegation is almost a certainty, with all the consequences associated with it.

The latest debacle took only 46 seconds to unfold, when the Lakesiders were gifted their opener courtesy of a wayward clearance by Reds` keeper, Oliver Davies, which only found a visiting player, who turned provider for Steven Tames to slot home the gift.

If this was not bad enough, worse was to follow with a further two goals in the space of five minutes, when a cross into the middle was deflected by Joe Clarke into his own net on 8 minutes, while Chris Venables arrived at the far post unmarked to power home his header after 13 minutes.

Three down before fifteen minutes had elapsed, it was obvious the home side were in for another difficult afternoon, and almost conceded another when a short corner between Henry Jones and Tames culminated in the ball being played into the path of Nathan Burke, whose finish flashed fractionally wide.

The visitors were running the show, with their opponents struggling to make any impact on proceedings, but out of the blue, and with about their only strike on target, the Reds pulled one back when Chris Jones, some 30 yards out, decided there was nothing to lose by unleashing a superb shot which left Ashley Morris in the Bala goal grasping thin air as it rocketed past him on the half hour.

This unexpected success only served to spur on the visitors, and they were quickly back on the offensive with Jones being denied by the fingertips of Davies who diverted his finish around the post when he was allowed a free passage towards the goal.

Without any further mishaps prior to the break, the Reds were just about clinging on, but the second period proved to be a replica of the first, with the visitors well on top with two further attempts by Jones being thwarted by Davies and then Kurtis March.

The Lakesiders were looking threatening every time they pushed forward, and it came as little surprise when they extended the lead on 57 minutes through Tames, who was afforded acres of space courtesy of some woeful defending, by sprinting through the middle and slotting his finish past the helpless Davies.

Eight minutes later, Ian Sheridan got in on the act with a glancing header which looped over the Reds` keeper, while Tames completed his treble in the 68th minute when he was again sent clear before coolly finishing past Davies.

With a six goal lead, the visitors surprisingly left it another 18 minutes before heaping more misery on their opponents, with Tames completing a memorable afternoon by getting his fourth when he met a ball driven low by Venables to the far post and find the bottom corner.

The final whistle by referee Dean Johns must have come as a welcome relief to the Reds who had once again been well and truly put to the sword, and with two vital games on the horizon against near neighbours Carmarthen Town at home on Boxing Day and away on New Year`s Day, they will certainly have to up their game if they have any hope of securing some much-needed points.

Kick off for the home fixture is at 12 noon, while the return is scheduled for a 5.30pm start as it is being shown live on S4C.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Ammanford upset Penybont to reach MG Cup quarter finals



Report by Ian Parfitt

AMMANFORD produced arguably the shock of the third round in the MG Nathaniel Cup with a 2-1 victory at Penybont, who currently sit third in the Cymru Premier League, on Tuesday night (Sept 20).

Penybont started the game well and looked dangerous with ex Ammanford player Kai Whitmore calling the shots.

Ammanford however were also playing some neat football themselves and this was quickly becoming a competitive contest.

Ammanford took the lead in the 28th minute when Brett Enoch took advantage of a moment of calamity in the Penybont defence to fire home.

As expected Penybont increased the pressure on the Ammanford goal in search of an equaliser but Ammanford held firm to go into the interval ahead.

Kyle Marsh in particular having a fine game in the Ammanford goal. Ammanford fans would have been expecting a long 45 minutes after the break but it only took a minute for Penybont to find the equaliser, Mael Davies scoring with a firm header.

Penybont were hungry for more goals and looked especially dangerous from the flanks. The Ammanford defence, who were superb throughout held firm under a barrage of high balls into the box.

Ammanford were also keen to get a second and looked dangerous on the counter attack, both Jordan Langley and Callum Silcox going agonisingly close to restoring the visitors’ lead.

The Ammanford defence continued to form a formidable wall at the back which Penybont were unable to breach.

This fantastic rearguard action was rewarded in the 81st minute when Callum Thomas scored what turned out to be the winner for Ammanford, running through on goal and producing a composed finish to slot the ball past Penybont keeper Alex Pennock.

Ammanford players continued to put their bodies on the line to preserve the lead, epitomised by Tom Pratt who took one on the head in the six yard box.

Lee Trundle spurned a glorious chance to make the game safe for Ammanford with a couple of minutes remaining but it mattered not as the final whistle produced jubilant scenes in the away camp.

Ammanford progress to the Fourth round on what was a glorious night for the club.

Photos by Lawrence Molloy
Continue Reading


Strong Ammanford performance seals Cup win over Whitland



AMMANFORD got their Division 1 Cup campaign off to an excellent start on Saturday (Sept 17) as they beat Whitland 42-13.

Ammanford built up a 17-3 lead and increased that further to 8-29 before pulling away in the closing stages.

Geraint Jones scored a penalty for Whitland and unconverted tries from Gino Setaro and Lewis Gibby followed.

Captain Alex Davies was named as Ammanford’s man of the match as he lead his side to a bonus point win.

The scrum half was among the try scorers as were Morgan Plimmer, Rhodri Jones, Liam Smith, Carwyn Richards, Mathew Lemon and Tiaan Evans.

Ryan Williams added four conversions and one penalty for the visitors.

The next round of Cup fixtures is scheduled for October 15. Ammanford host Newcastle Emlyn while Whitland travel to Tondu.

Ammanford return to action in League 1 West Central on Saturday, September 24 as they host Birchgrove.

Whitland are also back in league action in League 1 West as they visit Pembroke.

Continue Reading


Howell’s strike takes the points for Cwm



CWMAMMAN United earned their first three points of the season with an impressive all round performance as they overcame Cardiff Darconians through a sublime Gwion Howell finish at Grenig park on Saturday (Sept 17).

Cwm started on the front foot and their passing and movement was excellent and they twice came close early with Gwion Howell clipping the outside of the post while Sion Dafydd Williams pounced on a back pass but could just not quite get enough leverage on his attempt.

They then saw a 25th min goal by Williams ruled out for a tight offside. With Charlie Davies and Scott Jewell having strong games in the middle of the park Cwm looked the likeliest to score but there was a real scare when a defensive slip required a superb save from Kai Rees in the Cwm goal to keep it goalless.

Kyle Ashford and Keiran Richards continued to run hard at the Dracs defence causing problems but the first half remained goalless.

The strong second half push back that Cwm expected from the Cardiff side didn’t materialise and Cwm continued to have the better of the play. Grant Rees and Callum Dougal were strong at the heart of the defence while Leon Coucher and the ever threatening Cory Saunders were launching attacks from out wide.

Eventually the goal came when some neat interplay saw Howell with his back to goal and the ball at his feet. A superb turn moved the ball to one side and he then fired it across the keeper to the opposite corner..

Great celebrations before Cwm immediately settled determined to see this one through. With Davies continuing to push his team forward and subs Alex Giardelli and Harrison Thomas stretching the Dracs side Cwm saw it through without too much worry.

An excellent performance of which manager Paul Lewis said: “Great to get that first win with the boys who applied our team plan superbly today and they really deserved that result.”

Cwm now look forward to another challenge as they travel to play near neighbours Garden village on Friday evening (Sept 23).

Continue Reading