Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Bouncers sentenced after Shane Williams attack

Published

on

THREE bouncers were handed suspended prison terms after attacking rugby legend Shane Williams and his brother.

Dave Wing, 53, Dean Flowers, 32, and Aled James, 26, were found guilty of affray following a trial last month.

Another bouncer, Haydn Morgan, 42, was found not guilty of affray during the trial.

Williams, 41, grew up in Glanamman, and in a decorated career won 87 caps for Wales, becoming the country’s record try scorer and being named World Rugby Player of the Year in 2008. Cardiff Crown Court heard how on December 2 2017, Shane Williams and his brother Dean, 37, had been drinking at the Coyote Ugly nightclub on St Mary Street, after the Wales v South Africa match at the Principality Stadium.

Fans had been asking for selfies when a stranger tried to headbutt Dean Williams, and security staff then threw the brothers and their friends Rhodri Williams and Stewart Herbert out of the club following a row. The three bouncers then proceeded to attack the group in a back alley, with CCTV footage showing the doormen repeatedly punching and kicking them.

James, of Ferndale, Rhondda, was the first member of staff to deal with the incident, before Flowers, of Thornhill, Cardiff, then approached. CCTV footage showed that the group refused to walk away.

Flowers pushed Shane Williams down the stairs, and James was the first bouncer to follow the group out. Prosecutor Nicholas Gareth Jones said how James repeatedly punched Dean Williams, before Wing, of Grangetown, Cardiff. He proceeded to put Dean Williams in a headlock, choking him until he fell unconscious. Flowers then repeatedly punched Shane Williams against the wall.

Rhodri Williams had filmed the end of the incident on his mobile phone. After the incident, Flowers was seen flexing his hand, before joking with colleagues back in the club.

Police officers were flagged down at about 10pm, and found Dean Williams unconscious at the rear entrance of the premises. A medical student had performed first aid on Dean Williams, who had abrasion to the right side of his head and swelling to the left side of his head. Police seized CCTV from local venues as Dean Williams was taken to hospital, where he was kept overnight.

The prosecutor said that initially all the defendants pleaded not guilty. James then pleaded guilty on November 9 on a basis of plea where he accepted his actions were above reasonable self-defence, whilst there was a trial for Flowers and Wing.

In police interviews, James made no comment, Wing submitted a prepared statement, whilst Flowers gave a mixed interview, answering “no comment” to some instances yet referring to his incident report in others.

The court heard how all three defendants were of previous good character. All three had lost their jobs, but James was working as a teacher in London, whilst Flowers and Wing were both actively seeking employment.

Andrew Taylor, mitigating on behalf of James, stressed that his client has been making a positive contribution to society since the incident, where he suffered a scar himself having been punched in the club. Kevin Seal, mitigating for Flowers, explained that his client has a son and also acts as a carer for his mother.

He is currently looking for work as a mechanic. Heath Edwards, mitigating on behalf of Wing, said that the defendant has two job offers, but that since the incident he has been diagnosed with depression and that his marriage has collapsed. Wing also has two young children and is a carer for his elderly father.

Recorder Duncan Bould stressed the callous nature of the doormen leaving Dean Williams unconscious in the street, and that it was fortunate that no one was seriously injured. He then conceded that there would be profound effects on each man if they went to prison, and so all three were given suspended sentences.

Flowers were both handed 16-month suspended sentences and must do 180 hours of unpaid work. James, who pleaded guilty to affray at an earlier hearing, was handed a 10-month suspended sentence and 120 hours of unpaid work.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Business

Ascona Group announces new Car and Truck wash facilities

Published

on

Charlie's Truck Wash

ASCONA GROUP, one of the UK’s fastest-growing forecourt operators, is pleased to announce two new vehicle washing partnerships as part of improvements to its unique roadside retail proposition across its forecourt estate.

As part of a new partnership with the American based PDQ Manufacturing, a leader for in-bay automatic vehicle washing facilities, Ascona Group will be the first in the UK to install the ‘Laserwash 360 Plus’, a touchless car wash system for its customers.

The partnership will initially expand the wash options at the Hinton Service Station, with a view to roll out the system to other sites under the Ascona Group’s brand, ‘Charlie’s Express Car Wash’ later this year. The partnership is a significant investment for Ascona and demonstrates its commitment to ever improving the experience for customers.

Ascona Group is also delighted to announce a strategic partnership with WashTec UK that will see Ascona introduce a ‘First of its Kind’ truck washing facility at the Tenby Road site on the A40 Eastbound in Carmarthenshire, which offers the very best technology available to HGV drivers.

The truck wash employs a fully ‘closed loop’ total water recycling system, the first of its kind in Wales, which recovers all water used within the wash process, filtering it for reuse with little or no water entering the mains drainage system. This system ensures Ascona not only has the best commercial wash in South Wales, but also offers customers one of the more environmentally friendly approaches in operation.

Commenting on the announcement, CEO Darren Briggs said: “From the very beginning, we knew that our sites must present our customers with a unique and compelling offer which is why we are constantly seeking new and innovative ways to improve our roadside retail facilities.

“These two new partnerships further demonstrate our focus on creating industry-leading propositions and we are really excited to be working with PDQ Manufacturing USA and WashTec UK. Together, we are keen to continue to build on the success of these new operations and we are actively reviewing multiple opportunities across the Ascona portfolio to roll out more units such as these.”

Continue Reading

Community

Nearly £50,000 of National Lottery funding for community groups in Carmarthenshire

Published

on

FIVE local community organisations across Carmarthenshire are celebrating after being awarded a share of £49,575 of funding from The National Lottery Community Fund over the past month.

One successful project was MolTân Makers who will use their £9,820 grant to provide metal working workshops for people wishing to improve their mental health and well-being. The group will reach out to mental health groups and the wider community and also allow people to reconnect with the community following the pandemic.

One participant with MolTân Makers explained, “ The course was professionally run by four hard-working people who helped us with one to one tuition when needed. They were so welcoming and adaptable to individual needs and allowed me to attend the course at different hours due to health reasons.

“They were great company and created an interesting and positive atmosphere to help people with mental and physical health problems feel included and understood and we all took home what we made in the course.”

The Hangout received £10,000 and will help young people improve their mental health and wellbeing through structured outdoor activity programmes. The project will build on a previous pilot project that led to more young people becoming re-engaged in school following the pandemic and continuing to volunteer with the group after the initial sessions finished.

The Alternative Learning Company in Llanelli were awarded £9,955 and will recycle plastic bottles to build full size greenhouses. They will propagate plants for growing schemes in local schools and communities. The project will reduce the levels of plastic sent to landfill or polluting open spaces, and give young people an understanding of the impact of climate change.

Newcastle Emlyn Town Council will build an outdoor structure in collaboration with the community, to mark Her Majesty the Queen’s Jubilee. This £10,000 grant will fund building and design materials, and a water harvesting kit.

Messy Projects will use their £9,800 grant to run the activities and events they missed due to the pandemic. Activities will include celebrating the Queens platinum jubilee, a BBQ, and a Bonfire party.

John Rose, Wales Director at The National Lottery Community Fund, said “These groups play a vital role in supporting their communities and these grants will allow them to continue being there for people in future. 

 ”National Lottery players raise more than £30 million each week for good causes across the UK and the projects funded over the past month show the crucial difference players make through their tickets. I look forward to following all of their progress.”  

Continue Reading

News

Family of power station worker calls on former colleagues to help with asbestos claim

Published

on

THE WIFE of a Carmarthenshire man, who was just 66 when he died of an asbestos-related cancer, is calling on colleagues who worked with him in the 1970s to help understand where and how he contracted the disease.

Peter Colton, from Llanelli, died in July 2021 after being diagnosed with the asbestos-related disease, mesothelioma.

He worked as a conveyor and weighbridge operator for the CEGB at Carmarthen Bay Power Station. During his time at the power station, his duties included offloading coal wagons and conveying coal to the boilers.

It is possible that Mr Colton was exposed to asbestos during those years and now his family has sought the help of local asbestos specialists J.M Parsons, to investigate a claim for compensation.

Ann Colton, Mr Colton’s wife, wants answers. She said: “Peter was diagnosed with mesothelioma and died just six weeks later. He had been suffering from shortness of breath and just had no quality of life.

“It was devastating to see someone who had been so healthy and active slowly get worse and worse. We just want to know where and how he was exposed to asbestos and hope someone out there can help us.”

According to data from the Health and Safety Executive, annual mesothelioma deaths in Britain increased steeply over the last 50 years, a consequence of mainly occupational asbestos exposures that occurred because of the widespread industrial use of asbestos during 1950-1980.

Amanda Jones is one of the specialists at J.M Parsons, which is owned by Thompsons Solicitors. Thompsons has paved the way for asbestos litigation in the UK ever since it brought about the first successful asbestos disease claim to the House of Lords in 1972, 50 years ago.

She said: “We would be grateful to hear from anyone who remembers working with Peter Colton in Carmarthen Bay Power Station in the 1970s or anyone who worked in the same field as Peter beyond the 1970s.

“Such individuals will be invaluable to Mr Colton’s family as they may be able to add important information that will assist us in building a civil claim. We hope that we will then be able to answer questions about the conditions that Mr Colton worked in during his working life.”

Anyone with information should contact Amanda Jones on 01554 779940, or via email at amanda@jmplaw.co.uk.

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK