Connect with us


Scarlets see off rivals Ospreys



SCARLETS picked up an excellent win on Saturday afternoon (Oct 6) as they beat rivals Ospreys 20-17 at the Parc.

Ospreys got the upper hand in the opening quarter spending the best part of ten minutes in the home side’s 22 but they were unable to turn pressure in to points. Sam Davies put in an initial drop goal attempt, which was charged down, before Blade Thomson ripped a turnover ball in the shadow of the try line to get the Scarlets out of danger in what was a huge defensive effort.

Rhys Patchell kicked the Scarlets into Ospreys territory and within the blink of an eye former Osprey Kieron Fonotia makes a break through their defensive line. He showed great pace and determination and found Johnny McNicholl who made a dash into the opposition 22, crossing the whitewash unopposed. Halfpenny added the conversion.

Ospreys made their way back in to Scarlets territory. They run towards the try line through winger Luke Morgan and he was just inches away from the whitewash before being penalised for holding on.

On the half hour mark, whilst Patchell was being seen to by the medical staff, the Ospreys brought themselves back into the game when Cory Allen made a run for the line to touch down and Sam Davies added the extras, bringing the score level pegging at 7-7.

Photo by Darren Harries

The Ospreys were now on top and two minutes later former Scarlet George North made a break for the line but was tackled by winger Tom Prydie. North was convinced he had scored and the TMO was called for. It was phenomenal effort from Prydie to rip the ball from North’s grasp but the try was awarded.

Ospreys were unable to add the extra two points and the score stayed at 7-12.

Scarlets looked to finish the first half strongly and made their way into Ospreys territory. The ball is played through the hands and advantage is played but with nothing coming from it play was called back and Halfpenny steps up for a penalty to make it 10-12.

Patchell returned for the second half and the Scarlets came out strongly looking to get themselves back into the lead.

They thought they had scored a try when Hadleigh Parkes crossed under the sticks but it was ruled out for an infringement earlier in the move by the TMO.

The home side did not let that stop them and they soon went back on the attack and they were eventually rewarded with a penalty which Halfpenny sent through the posts to make it 13-12.

The Scarlets were looking dangerous with the ball but were stopped by an Ospreys knock on. The TMO checked for a deliberate knock on but it was deemed to be a knock on.

From the resulting scrum, the Scarlets edged themselves forward and it was the returning Patchell who went over for the try which was then converted by Halfpenny.

With the score at 20-12 the Ospreys knew they would need more than one score to get back in to it and they got a try when Luke Morgan crossed. The conversion was missed and Scarlets held a three-point lead.

Scarlets looked to keep the ball in the Ospreys half as the clock ticked over into the last ten minutes but the visitors were able to win the ball back.

There was still time for them to get what would have been a winning score but Scarlets held on to secure an excellent victory.

The 12,000 strong crowd were sent home happy and Scarlets now turn their attentions to Saturday’s (Oct 13) opening game in the Heineken Cup.

Racing Metro 92 are the visitors to Parc Y Scarlets with kick off at 5:30pm.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Amman earn first win of the season



AMMAN United claimed their first win of the season after an opening-day draw, and a cup defeat at Haverfordwest last weekend.

However, you would have been hard pushed to imagine a 50-point final-score when, just before half time, the score remained 0-0.

But two injury time scores had then given Amman an unlikely 12-0 interval lead against the Bulldogs.

A bright opening from United saw centre Gavin Lewis, on yet another comeback, show his trickery with a nice run and offload early on. Hooker George Clark had a fine game and was in the thick of everything, as were fellow forwards Iwan Davies, Dan Jones, Rhydian Jones and captain Alun Lewis.

Bynea suffered a very early blow, losing Corey Butler to an untimely injury, and they were later to also see Jamie Thomas limp off before half time.

These injuries meant a large period of added-time, and the Bulldogs’ valiant defence cracked during the injury-time as Joel Foster and Alun Lewis combined to put in flanker Rhydian Jones for the opening try, which Tom Caddell converted.

A frustrating couple of minutes for the visitors was compounded when a quick tap and go penalty from scrum half Foster saw him smuggle over the try line for a second try on the stroke of half time.

The Reds continued in good heart after the restart, and after some good play,Foster and and Dan Jones were involved before Rhydian Jones slipped a fine offload to skipper Alun Lewis who went under the posts for another converted try.

Another “vet” came on, Adrian Thomas off the bench as the home side largely dominated with their pack in the ascendency, Cian Lewis, Jason Knell and Rhys Phillips having put in a good shift throughout.

The Bulldogs then had a purple patch for a while,centre Jack Mal almost finishing off a fine move, before more calamity struck for them as Jake Sam was sadly stretchered off.

Amman capitalised and grabbed a bonus point try when the excellent George Clarke went over for another score to make it 24-0.

But the dogged visitors were always a threat, and carved out an excellent try for their efforts as wing Nathan Baker finished off a well-worked team move, which outside half Finlay Cook converted.

Amman hit back when the back row combined well before Dan Jones went over the whitewash for a try.

A very young Bynea side battled to the end,and some more excellent play was rewarded with a try for Tom Badger, converted by Cook.

However, the home side had the last word and grabbed a very late injury time try as the industrious Rhydian Jones crossed for the final score of the game.

Amman face a tough trip to Tumble on Saturday, October 1, while Bynea are home against New Dock Stars.

Continue Reading


Ammanford upset Penybont to reach MG Cup quarter finals



Report by Ian Parfitt

AMMANFORD produced arguably the shock of the third round in the MG Nathaniel Cup with a 2-1 victory at Penybont, who currently sit third in the Cymru Premier League, on Tuesday night (Sept 20).

Penybont started the game well and looked dangerous with ex Ammanford player Kai Whitmore calling the shots.

Ammanford however were also playing some neat football themselves and this was quickly becoming a competitive contest.

Ammanford took the lead in the 28th minute when Brett Enoch took advantage of a moment of calamity in the Penybont defence to fire home.

As expected Penybont increased the pressure on the Ammanford goal in search of an equaliser but Ammanford held firm to go into the interval ahead.

Kyle Marsh in particular having a fine game in the Ammanford goal. Ammanford fans would have been expecting a long 45 minutes after the break but it only took a minute for Penybont to find the equaliser, Mael Davies scoring with a firm header.

Penybont were hungry for more goals and looked especially dangerous from the flanks. The Ammanford defence, who were superb throughout held firm under a barrage of high balls into the box.

Ammanford were also keen to get a second and looked dangerous on the counter attack, both Jordan Langley and Callum Silcox going agonisingly close to restoring the visitors’ lead.

The Ammanford defence continued to form a formidable wall at the back which Penybont were unable to breach.

This fantastic rearguard action was rewarded in the 81st minute when Callum Thomas scored what turned out to be the winner for Ammanford, running through on goal and producing a composed finish to slot the ball past Penybont keeper Alex Pennock.

Ammanford players continued to put their bodies on the line to preserve the lead, epitomised by Tom Pratt who took one on the head in the six yard box.

Lee Trundle spurned a glorious chance to make the game safe for Ammanford with a couple of minutes remaining but it mattered not as the final whistle produced jubilant scenes in the away camp.

Ammanford progress to the Fourth round on what was a glorious night for the club.

Photos by Lawrence Molloy
Continue Reading


Strong Ammanford performance seals Cup win over Whitland



AMMANFORD got their Division 1 Cup campaign off to an excellent start on Saturday (Sept 17) as they beat Whitland 42-13.

Ammanford built up a 17-3 lead and increased that further to 8-29 before pulling away in the closing stages.

Geraint Jones scored a penalty for Whitland and unconverted tries from Gino Setaro and Lewis Gibby followed.

Captain Alex Davies was named as Ammanford’s man of the match as he lead his side to a bonus point win.

The scrum half was among the try scorers as were Morgan Plimmer, Rhodri Jones, Liam Smith, Carwyn Richards, Mathew Lemon and Tiaan Evans.

Ryan Williams added four conversions and one penalty for the visitors.

The next round of Cup fixtures is scheduled for October 15. Ammanford host Newcastle Emlyn while Whitland travel to Tondu.

Ammanford return to action in League 1 West Central on Saturday, September 24 as they host Birchgrove.

Whitland are also back in league action in League 1 West as they visit Pembroke.

Continue Reading