Connect with us


Dafen and Bronwydd return to winning ways



IN Division 1 of the South Wales Cricket Association, Dafen returned to winning ways last Saturday (Jun 16) as they beat Gowerton by 90 runs.

Dafen batted first and made an excellent total of 270-8 in their innings with Simon Davies top scoring on 71.

Chris Randell also batted well for his score of 67 while David Dunfee hit three fours and six sixes in a knock of 58 from 43 balls.

Matthew Mason and Lee Nicholas made scores of 21 and 32 in reply but Phil George took five wickets as Dafen sensed victory.

Will Collinson made a late score of 59 but he was caught off the bowling of Jonathan Randell and Gowerton were all out for 180.

Bronwydd also returned to winning ways as they beat Aberdare by eight wickets. Aberdare batted first but were all out for 153 as Tom and George Gleeson and Matthew Vaughan each claimed two wickets.

Thomas Rees top scored for his side with 37 runs but Bronwydd excellent performance in the field gave them the confidence to go on and win the game.

They lost two early wickets but George Gleeson and Oliver Furneaux were not budged as they saw their side to their target. Furneaux finished not out on 42 while Gleeson was not out on 68.

Llandysul suffered a third defeat of the season as they were bowled out for 105 in reply to Maesteg Celtic’s score of 134-6.

Ieuan Paske and Llewellyn Hughes both took two wickets for Llandysul who did well to restrict Celtic in a reduced overs game.

However, Llandysul were unable to reach their target despite a score of 47 from Ben Edkins. Phil Poole took four wickets for Celtic as they earned their fifth win of the season.

On Saturday, Bronwydd host Dafen and Llandysul are at home to Gowerton.

In Division 2, Llangennech remain top of the table after they beat Baglan by seven runs. Llangennech were all out for 125 with opener Hedd-Wyn Jones scoring 23 and Scott Lloyd adding 17.

David Williams top scored with 26 runs while there late scores of 16 from Stuart Goddard and Chris Hickey.

Martin Rees gave Baglan hope of victory with a score of 30 but he was one of two victims for James Taube while Simon Clement took four wickets as Baglan were bowled out for 117.

Drefach secured a 93-run victory against Cimla last Saturday as they bowled them out for 60.

The home side had earlier made 153-6 with James Carter scoring 29 and Morgan Davies finished not out on 48.

Only two Cimla batsmen made it into double figures in their reply as Owen Donovan took three wickets and there were two wickets apiece for Harry McBryde, Ellis Lewis and Leigh Davies.

Felinfoel earned a narrow 2-wicket win over Skewen as they secured a fourth win of the season.

Daniel Williams, Steve James and John Jones all made scores of 21 for Skewen but they could only reach 145-8 in their innings as Rhys Harries picked up two wickets.

Jonathan Cheal scored 25 for Felinfoel in their reply and Tom Jones scored 18. Scott Davies scored 19 while Rohan Nangalia finished not out on 17 to help his side over the line.

On Saturday, Llangennech are away to Cimla and Felinfoel host Drefach.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


FC Carmarthen earn a point against Felinfoel



TWO late goals for FC Carmarthen earned them a point against Felinfoel on Saturday (Dec 4) as their game finished 2-2.

Felinfoel are yet to lose a game this season and it looked like they were on course for another win but goals in the 74th and 85th minutes of the game earned a point for the visitors.

Chris James had put the Division 1 leaders ahead in the first half as he scored from the penalty spot.

He then doubled Felinfoel’s lead on 58 minutes and they looked set to go on and earn their thirteenth win of the season.

FC Carmarthen had other ideas though and they pulled a goal back through Osian Thomas.

Thomas then completed the comeback five minutes from the end.

Both sides looked for a winner but were forced to settle for a point apiece.

On Saturday, December 11, Felinfoel are at home to Camford Sports while FC Carmarthen travel to Kidwelly Town.

PHOTO by Darren Harries

Continue Reading


Amman United earn first win



AMMAN United claimed their first Division 3 West victory of the season with a hard-fought success on a bitingly cold afternoon at Penygroes.

Very little of note happened during the opening quarter as errors and knock-ons spoiled the flow.

Then, the visitors drew first blood on 20 minutes when, out of the blue, a well-worked move from a midfield break saw centre Steff Davies cut in to score under the posts, outside half Tom Caddell converting.

Amman had a strong wind at their backs in the first half, and with lock Jason Knell making some good yardage, they shaded the territory.

Penygroes were winning in the lineouts, but were squandering some good possession.

Try-scorer Davies limped off, to be replaced by Liam Poole, and, a wind-assisted Caddell long range penalty before halftime gave the Reds a 10-0 interval lead.

The boot of Tom Caddell stretched the lead after the restart to 13-0, but the home side were starting to get more joy in attack, prop Ben Jackson impressing with his workrate, and, after he was tackled short of the line, lock Dan Rees gathered and went over for the try, full back Nicholas Morris adding the conversion.

Caddell kept Amman’s score ticking along with another penalty, and, in the final quarter, the visitors brought on their very own “bomb squad” as Rhys Phillips, Harley Davies and Rhydian Jones entered the fray, with great effect.

With much more cohesion in attack, Jones impressed around the pitch particularly, and with some ten minutes left, full-back Joel Foster’s excellent work put the try on a plate for backrow man Jac Isaac to cross the line for a converted score.

George Clarke also featured with some telling Amman runs as they continued to press, Penygroes only threatening sporadically, full back Nicholas Morris the pick of their backs; but they lacked a real cutting edge to finish off their good work.

United’s win was rubber-stamped when scrum half Alex Williams gleefully divebombed over for a third Amman try with minutes left.

To their credit, the home side battled manfully to the end, and were rewarded with a try with the final move of the game as Rhys Gealey scored as the final whistle was blown.

Amman will be at Cwmamman Park on Saturday, December 11, when they entertain New Dock Stars.

Continue Reading


Risca earn win over Ammanford



AMMANFORD travelled to Ystrad Mynach on Friday night (Dec 3) to face Risca United on their artificial pitch.

The Valley mist was slowly rolling across the sky and hovering just above the pitch. A healthy crowd sat in the large stand waited for the teams’ arrival.

Ammanford were in their green kit whilst Risca were in their usual black and white striped shirts.

The visitors got off to the perfect start with only ten minutes played when Ammanford captain Lee Trundle skilfully turned on the edge of the Risca penalty area and slotted the ball into the corner of the Risca net.

Both sides pressed each other but Ammanford’s lead lasted until minutes before half time when the home side were awarded a penalty.

Risca’s Leon Thomas duly despatched the spot kick into the Ammanford net to level it up at 1-1.

The second half saw both sides pressing for that second goal with no quarter given by either side which kept the referee busy in the production of several yellow cards.

It was Risca that made the breakthrough in the 68th minute of the game when their substitute Harvey Selway assisted team mate Leon Thomas to get his second goal of the game as he broke through the middle of the Ammanford defence and placed his shot past Ammanford keeper Craig Morris to give his side the lead.

Ammanford did their best to respond and Brett Enoch came the closest with a couple of attempts in the last ten minutes of the game.

It wasn’t enough for Ammanford as final whistle blew and it was Risca who celebrated the victory.

Continue Reading