THE RESTAURANT chain, Prezzo, has cited its Carmarthen outlet as being a ‘milestone’ in its development as a company.
The Carmarthen outlet was opened just before Christmas, last year, becoming the chain’s 251st restaurant. Started up in 2000, Prezzo is now opening some 18 new restaurants a year, and speaking about the December opening, Prezzo Chief Executive, Jonathan Kaye, said: “We are thrilled to have reached this milestone.”
The restaurant is situated in St Katherine’s Walk shopping centre next to the Vue cinema, with an unmistakable and impressive glass fronting. Katy Moxon of Moxon Design, who did indeed design the restaurant said: “Prezzo often acquire older buildings, however, because of the rise in shopping centres over recent years we have seen an influx of more modern buildings amongst the Prezzo portfolio. Therefore the design has adapted slightly to cater towards this style of building. I always look towards an Art Deco design with the sites that I’m involved with because I feel that this particular style is very much associated with a strong attention to detail – which is what Prezzo is all about.”
She went on to say: “This restaurant presented a good opportunity for Prezzo as there aren’t as many restaurants in Carmarthen as, say, Newcastle. Prezzo can now kick-start the rise in restaurants in the area.”
She explained that the building was originally just an empty shell, but had been utilised in terms of space by the developer, with a full height glass fronting and a large double sided horseshoe bar. The developer, Gary Bluff Projects, Contract Manager, Matthew Tryner, said: “We worked on Prezzo Carmarthen for a period of nine weeks and the work ran as we would have expected, without any major problems. We value our working relationship with Prezzo, so it was good to be involved with this site. At Gary Bluff Projects we always strive to meet our clients’ needs and we are proud of our finished product.”
The restaurant has a very varied Italian menu serving pizzas, pasta, risottos, salads, chargrilled meats, and Italian burgers, as well as classic Italian dishes for children, and a specialist menu to cater for parties.
Driver jailed for head-on crash that caused life-changing injuries
A DRIVER who caused a head-on collision with a car being driven by a pregnant woman told police officers at the scene he had drunk 13 cans of strong lager the night before.
Rhodri Rees, aged 36, of Llandysul, admitted his drinking had gone into the early hours before he got behind the wheel and caused the crash on the A476 in Llannon, near Llanelli, by overtaking another car on a bend at around 7.40am on December 11, 2020.
The severe impact meant both drivers were trapped in their cars and had to be cut free by firefighters.
Thankfully the baby was unharmed in the collision, however, its mother suffered serious, life-changing injuries. She had a number of operations to repair the damage and was unable to walk for a year and still suffers the effects of the accident today.
Dyfed-Powys Police Sgt Nicholas Brookes said “When Rees was spoken to by our officers at the scene he told them he had drunk 13 cans of Stella Artois and that he had gone to bed after midnight.
“He failed a breath test at the scene and was arrested on suspicion of drink driving before being allowed to go to hospital for treatment.”
The following day he was interviewed at Carmarthen Police Station where he told officers he had consumed eight or nine cans of Foster’s before going to bed around 2am, before getting up at around 6.45am and setting off.
A sample of blood was taken just before 1pm on December 11 showed Rees had 39mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood – the legal limit being 80. A blood alcohol expert had calculated that at the time of the collision the level of alcohol would have been no less than 113mg and more likely 129mg.
PS Brookes added: “This was a serious case that could have been so much worse.
“Rees admitted drinking a considerable amount of alcohol and getting little sleep before getting behind the wheel. He was lucky no-one was killed.
“I would like to commend the officer in the case, PC Benjamin Stevenson, who conducted a thorough and meticulous investigation for the offence of causing serious injury by dangerous driving.”
On Tuesday, 17th May, Rees appeared before Swansea Crown Court, having pleaded guilty at a previous hearing, and was sentenced to 18-months in prison.
He was also disqualified from driving for three years and 9 months, with a requirement for an extended test to regain his licence.
No monkeypox cases identified in Wales say public health officials
THE UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) has detected 11 additional cases of monkeypox in England.
The latest cases bring the total number of monkeypox cases confirmed since May 6 to 20.
The new cases come on top of the nine already identified in the country.
There are currently no cases of monkeypox identified in Wales, public health in Wales have said.
Public Health Wales said it is working with the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA), Public Health Scotland, and Northern Ireland HSC Health Protection Agency to respond to UK cases of monkeypox.
Richard Firth, Consultant in Health Protection for Public Health Wales, said: “We are working closely with our UK partners to monitor and respond to cases of monkeypox in the UK. Monkeypox is a rare disease that has been reported mainly in central and West African countries. No cases have so far been identified in Wales.”
“Monkeypox does not spread easily between people and the overall risk to the general public is very low. It is usually a mild self-limiting illness, and most people recover within a few weeks. However, severe illness can occur in some individuals.”
The first case in the current outbreak was confirmed on May 6.
It is not the first time monkeypox has been reported in the UK.
Three cases were also reported in 2021, two of them in Wales.
New city of Wrexham gets big thumbs up from business leaders
BUSINESS leaders have given a big thumbs up to news that Wrexham has been granted city status following a competition to celebrate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee.
Wrexham Business Professionals have campaigned for more than a decade to help secure city status and say they are “cock-a-hoop” that the bid was successful, having previously failed last time around in 2012.
According to the group, made up of successful businesses and highly skilled professionals working together to promote regional prosperity and the enterprise and expertise in the region, becoming a city is a “fantastic once-in-a-generation” opportunity.
Wrexham joins seven other winners from across Britain and the overseas territories – including Bangor in Northern Ireland, Stanley in the Falklands, and Colchester in England.
The competition for city status has taken place in each of the last three jubilee years, with previous winners including Newport, which became a city in 2002.
Ian Edwards, a senior member of Wrexham Business Professionals and a director of Allington Hughes, said: “We have supported the idea of Wrexham becoming a city for many years. As far as we are concerned, this is a no-brainer and is one of the best things to have happened to Wrexham for a long time
“Even before the pandemic and the consequences of the pandemic we’ve always thought that being a city would give Wrexham a lot of kudos and would provide a massive economic benefit for the whole of North Wales.
“During the pandemic some business in Wrexham have done well but others – notably in leisure, tourism and hospitality – have really suffered and we really have to get back on our feet economically.
“It’s not just about putting Wrexham on the map – being a city will provide an effective lever in attracting inward investment and new jobs which will help the whole area thrive and prosper.
“The benefits of city status transform the fortunes of the town and provide a better future for the people who live here.
“It feels like the stars have now aligned perfectly and that the time is now right to do our best to seize this opportunity.
“The fact that Wrexham AFC has been bought by Hollywood A-listers Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney helped add bit of magic and stardust to the bid.
“A lot of people across the world hadn’t heard of Wrexham before and now other Hollywood stars are embracing the story and putting on the club’s shirt.
“We’ve never had such a high profile – not just nationally but internationally.
“You really couldn’t script it better. There’s never going to be a better time to become Wales’s seventh city.”
It was a sentiment echoed by the group’s chair, chartered accountant Gill Kreft, co-owner of the Pendine Park care organisation.
She said: “City status will give Wrexham a huge fillip and provide the recognition it deserves as the commercial capital of North Wales.
“City status will undoubtedly help attract more inward investment and funding into the town and the surrounding area.
“It will also give us an enhanced reputation and status as well and raise awareness of what a great place this is and what a lot it has to offer. Wrexham has a lot going for it.
“It will be a massive boost for us and for North Wales and give the town more confidence about itself.
“Hopefully, we can now go for a hat-trick with Wrexham AFC finally winning promotion and being crowned as City of Culture 2025. Fingers crossed!”
Gill Kreft, chair of Wrexham Business Professionals
Ian Edwards., leading member of Wrexham Business Professionals
Business1 week ago
Graduate opens vintage clothing store in the heart of Carmarthen
Farming6 days ago
Carmarthenshire farmer admits causing slurry pollution
Sport2 weeks ago
Wanderers seal first win thanks to Davies’ century
Community6 days ago
Households in Carmarthenshire start to receive £150 cost of living payment
News2 weeks ago
Carmarthen Bay Film Festival to host gin-interactive film night
News2 weeks ago
Horse and owner whose lives have been changed by brain tumours take on marathon trot to help find a cure
Sport1 week ago
Ammanford lose out as Swansea post mammoth total
News2 weeks ago
Women’s Tour of Britain returns to Carmarthenshire