Connect with us


Gealy and Hetherington shine on Captain’s Day



Junior Winner Captain’s Day: Jamie Dean

ONE of the highlights of the calendar at Carmarthen Golf Club is Captain’s Day and this year was no exception.

More than a hundred golfers entered with three main prizes on offer in the men’s section; in the 0-15 category there three excellent scores of 66 nett returned and in countback order these were Neville Jones followed by Edward Wheeler and then Clive Evans.

In the 15-28 category and in a stableford format there were two very good scores of 41 points with Ken Gealy just edging out Ian Ritchie, the two being clear of the field with Elwyn Morgan taking third with 36 points.

The Ladies competition was also split in two categories; 0-26 with Amanda Hetherington coming out on top with 40 points, followed by Paula James with 38 points and in third Jennifer Lewis with 34 points. In the 27 – 54 the winner was Vaynor Ashley- Jones 35, in second was Eleanor Goodman on 30 points and in third Louise Davies also with 30 points.

The visitor’s prizes went to Gareth Rees and Judith Stevens. Jamie Dean had previously won the Junior’s Captain’s Day.

In a busy week the Senior’s Open was held on July 4 and again there was an outstanding turn out of over 100 golfers, and in excellent conditions with the green running fast and true Alan James took the top prize with 42 points in the 55-69 age group, Graham Williams was second with 40 points and Alan Edwards in third with 39 points.

In the 70+ age group the in-form Elwyn Morgan was first with 37 points winning in better back 6 from Roger Evans (a guest from Cottrell Park) and in third was Gary Thomas. The visitor’s prizes were taken by Nicky Rees (Mond Valley), Mark Mitchel (Neath) and Neville Jones (Mond Valley).

The Ladies Section have also had a busy time, it began with a friendly Texas Scramble and the following week played the Bron David Cup. The format was to try to beat the course and both Jane Ingram and Jennifer Williams ended all square with Ina Davies next with a score of two down.

It was the hottest day since 1976 for the Ladies President Day, which was very well supported despite the soaring temperatures; the competition was for teams of three with the best two out of three scores to count.

The winning team of Paula James, Olive Corner and Jennifer O’Sullivan came in with an excellent score of 91 points. Jennifer Lewis, Carole Fleetwood and Ina Davies secured second place with 85 points and Ruth James, Meinir Hunter and Brenda Nolan were third with 78 points.

The Ladies June Stableford was won by Jennifer Lewis with Ann Williams and Amanda Heatherington coming in second and third respectively.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Ammanford upset Penybont to reach MG Cup quarter finals



Report by Ian Parfitt

AMMANFORD produced arguably the shock of the third round in the MG Nathaniel Cup with a 2-1 victory at Penybont, who currently sit third in the Cymru Premier League, on Tuesday night (Sept 20).

Penybont started the game well and looked dangerous with ex Ammanford player Kai Whitmore calling the shots.

Ammanford however were also playing some neat football themselves and this was quickly becoming a competitive contest.

Ammanford took the lead in the 28th minute when Brett Enoch took advantage of a moment of calamity in the Penybont defence to fire home.

As expected Penybont increased the pressure on the Ammanford goal in search of an equaliser but Ammanford held firm to go into the interval ahead.

Kyle Marsh in particular having a fine game in the Ammanford goal. Ammanford fans would have been expecting a long 45 minutes after the break but it only took a minute for Penybont to find the equaliser, Mael Davies scoring with a firm header.

Penybont were hungry for more goals and looked especially dangerous from the flanks. The Ammanford defence, who were superb throughout held firm under a barrage of high balls into the box.

Ammanford were also keen to get a second and looked dangerous on the counter attack, both Jordan Langley and Callum Silcox going agonisingly close to restoring the visitors’ lead.

The Ammanford defence continued to form a formidable wall at the back which Penybont were unable to breach.

This fantastic rearguard action was rewarded in the 81st minute when Callum Thomas scored what turned out to be the winner for Ammanford, running through on goal and producing a composed finish to slot the ball past Penybont keeper Alex Pennock.

Ammanford players continued to put their bodies on the line to preserve the lead, epitomised by Tom Pratt who took one on the head in the six yard box.

Lee Trundle spurned a glorious chance to make the game safe for Ammanford with a couple of minutes remaining but it mattered not as the final whistle produced jubilant scenes in the away camp.

Ammanford progress to the Fourth round on what was a glorious night for the club.

Photos by Lawrence Molloy
Continue Reading


Strong Ammanford performance seals Cup win over Whitland



AMMANFORD got their Division 1 Cup campaign off to an excellent start on Saturday (Sept 17) as they beat Whitland 42-13.

Ammanford built up a 17-3 lead and increased that further to 8-29 before pulling away in the closing stages.

Geraint Jones scored a penalty for Whitland and unconverted tries from Gino Setaro and Lewis Gibby followed.

Captain Alex Davies was named as Ammanford’s man of the match as he lead his side to a bonus point win.

The scrum half was among the try scorers as were Morgan Plimmer, Rhodri Jones, Liam Smith, Carwyn Richards, Mathew Lemon and Tiaan Evans.

Ryan Williams added four conversions and one penalty for the visitors.

The next round of Cup fixtures is scheduled for October 15. Ammanford host Newcastle Emlyn while Whitland travel to Tondu.

Ammanford return to action in League 1 West Central on Saturday, September 24 as they host Birchgrove.

Whitland are also back in league action in League 1 West as they visit Pembroke.

Continue Reading


Howell’s strike takes the points for Cwm



CWMAMMAN United earned their first three points of the season with an impressive all round performance as they overcame Cardiff Darconians through a sublime Gwion Howell finish at Grenig park on Saturday (Sept 17).

Cwm started on the front foot and their passing and movement was excellent and they twice came close early with Gwion Howell clipping the outside of the post while Sion Dafydd Williams pounced on a back pass but could just not quite get enough leverage on his attempt.

They then saw a 25th min goal by Williams ruled out for a tight offside. With Charlie Davies and Scott Jewell having strong games in the middle of the park Cwm looked the likeliest to score but there was a real scare when a defensive slip required a superb save from Kai Rees in the Cwm goal to keep it goalless.

Kyle Ashford and Keiran Richards continued to run hard at the Dracs defence causing problems but the first half remained goalless.

The strong second half push back that Cwm expected from the Cardiff side didn’t materialise and Cwm continued to have the better of the play. Grant Rees and Callum Dougal were strong at the heart of the defence while Leon Coucher and the ever threatening Cory Saunders were launching attacks from out wide.

Eventually the goal came when some neat interplay saw Howell with his back to goal and the ball at his feet. A superb turn moved the ball to one side and he then fired it across the keeper to the opposite corner..

Great celebrations before Cwm immediately settled determined to see this one through. With Davies continuing to push his team forward and subs Alex Giardelli and Harrison Thomas stretching the Dracs side Cwm saw it through without too much worry.

An excellent performance of which manager Paul Lewis said: “Great to get that first win with the boys who applied our team plan superbly today and they really deserved that result.”

Cwm now look forward to another challenge as they travel to play near neighbours Garden village on Friday evening (Sept 23).

Continue Reading