Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Boxer ‘heartbroken’ following Mike Towell’s death

Published

on

Dale Evans: ‘Heartbroken’ following the incident (Pic. BBC)

Dale Evans: ‘Heartbroken’ following the incident (Pic. BBC)

DALE EVANS, a Welsh boxer from St Clears, has said that he is ‘absolutely heartbroken’ following the death of his opponent Mike Towell following a fight that took place on Thursday, September 29.

Mr Towell, aged 25, died in hospital on Friday, September 30, after being seriously injured in a fight with Mr Evans.

Towell was knocked down during the first round of the fight at Glasgow’s Radisson Blu Hotel but recovered in time to continue.

However, as the match progressed, Referee Victor Loughlin stopped the fight during the fifth round after Towell was knocked down for a second time.

He received treatment in the ring and was given oxygen before being taken to an ambulance on a stretcher.

Former Olympic athlete Mr Whittle has told BBC Radio Scotland that the 25-year-old boxer’s death had been a ‘real tragedy’. He continued, saying that banning the sport would be ‘silly’, although it was clear that ‘something has gone very wrong’.

“I feel like I am responsible,” Dale Evans said in an interview with BBC Wales Sport. “I can’t stop thinking about Mike and his poor family. All my thoughts are with them.”

During Mr Evans’ emotional interview, he continued: “You don’t think about this happening. With the medical team at ringside, you feel safe and you never actually dream something like this will happen. It isn’t something on your mind.”

The St Clears boxer is now the mandatory challenger for the British title but has said that he is now considering retiring from the sport, stating: “I have been low and thinking that I would probably stop boxing now.

“I feel like one of my own family has passed away.”

Towell’s partner, Chloe Ross, said he died ‘peacefully’ shortly after 11pm on Friday, September 30, 12 hours after he was taken off life support.

“Michael had severe bleeding and swelling to his brain,” she wrote on Facebook.

“He had been complaining of headaches for the last few weeks but we put it down to migraines with the stress of his fight.

“It has been the longest 24 hours of our lives. My baby has lost his daddy. But he will be so, so proud of his dad in what he achieved.”

Conservative MSP Brian Whittle has called for an inquiry following the incident, stating that it was important to hold a ‘proper inquiry’ in order to ensure a similar incident will never happen again.

Prosecutors have confirmed they have begun investigating the circumstances surrounding Mr Towell’s death.

Mr Evans concluded that boxers understand the risks involved in entering the ring but rarely consider the potential consequences. He has said that he would like to win the British title in Mr Towell’s name, telling BBC Sport: “I think I will have a break and I will try to win the British title in Mike’s memory.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Community

Carmarthenshire Archives’ new building officially opened

Published

on

ON MONDAY, November 28, Cllr Rob Evans, Chair of Carmarthenshire County Council, unveiled a specially designed plaque to commemorate the official opening of the brand new Carmarthenshire Archives building.

The official opening was attended by year 6 pupils of Ysgol Y Dderwen, along with their Headteacher Mr Dylan Evans, who designed the plaque by compiling various artwork and sketches that are housed at the Archives.

Established in 1959, Carmarthenshire Archives is the local authority archive service for the County of Carmarthenshire and the new building is located at St Peter’s Street, Carmarthen. 

The service is home to our extensive collection of historic documents that date from the 13th century to the present day. The collection includes archives, maps, books, photographs, videos and sound recordings. It is the Archives’ mission to preserve and make its documents available for general study and research.

Admission to Carmarthenshire Archives is free and open to anyone who wishes to use the Council’s records. Most of its services are free, but we do charge for some extra services and help.

Speaking at the opening ceremony, Cabinet Member for Regeneration, Leisure, Culture and Tourism, Cllr Gareth John commented:

“Congratulations to the pupils of Ysgol Y Dderwen, they have designed an excellent and appropriate plaque that is inspired by the treasure troves of our archives. It was wonderful to welcome them to the official opening so that they can see their work take pride of place at a building that holds great significance to us in Carmarthenshire. 

“This is a brand new and modern building that is fit to keep and protect our county’s most precious historical documents. 

“But of course, these documents are meant to be viewed and studied by school children, students, academics and anybody who has an interest in Carmarthenshire’s rich history; and this excellent facility provides the perfect space for people to come and view these treasures.”

Continue Reading

Business

Llandeilo gas works to begin say Wales & West Utilities

Published

on

WALES & West Utilities will shortly begin work to upgrade gas pipes in Llandeilo.

Wales & West Utilities has liaised with Carmarthenshire County Council to plan the work and it has been agreed that work will commence after the town has celebrated the Festival of Senses.

The £123,000 investment scheme, which is essential to keep the gas flowing safely to heat and power local homes and businesses, will begin in New Road on 21 November. This section of work will be complete before Christmas and Wales & West Utilities will return to the town next year to undertake further work in the Crescent Road area. Barring any engineering difficulties, work in the town will be complete by the end of February next year.

Wales & West Utilities Adam Smith is managing this gas pipe upgrade work. He said: “Working with the Council, we have planned this work to accommodate the needs of the town.

“While most of the gas network is underground and out of sight, it plays a central role in the daily lives of people across Llandeilo. Whether it’s heating your home, making the family dinner or having a hot bath, we understand how important it is for your gas supply to be safe and reliable and there when you need it.

“We know that working in areas like this is not ideal, but it really is essential to make sure we keep the gas flowing to homes and businesses in the area, and to make sure the gas network is fit for the future. We’ll have a team of gas engineers on site throughout the project to make sure our work is completed as safely and as quickly as possible while keeping disruption to a minimum.

“This work is essential to keep the gas flowing to local homes and businesses today, and to make sure the gas network is ready to transport hydrogen and biomethane, so we can all play our part in a green future.”

Our Customer Service Team is ready to take your call if you have any questions about our work. You can contact them on freephone 0800 912 2999.

Alternatively, you can contact us on Twitter @WWUtilities or Facebook.com/WWUtilities.

Wales & West Utilities, the gas emergency and pipeline service, brings energy to 7.5m people across the south west of England and Wales. If you smell gas, or suspect the presence of carbon monoxide, call us on 0800 111 999 straight away, and our engineers will be there to help any time of day or night. Before visiting, we’ll ask you to let us know if you or anyone in your household, is experiencing Coronavirus symptoms or self-isolating. We’ll still come and help you: but our teams will take some additional precautions to keep us all safe.

Continue Reading

News

Police appeal following theft of items from Home Bargains Crosshands

Published

on

OFFICERS from Dyfed Powys Police have confirmed that they are investigating the theft of items, including a Christmas Nutcracker Ornament valued at £129.99, from the Home Bargains store in Crosshands, Carmarthenshire.

The theft occurred at about 12:40pm on Tuesday, 27th September 2022.

Officers have carried out all possible lines of enquiry, and are now appealing for help from the public.

They would like to identify the people in the CCTV image, who may have information that could help the investigation.

Anyone who knows who the people are, or if you believe you are pictured, contact Dyfed-Powys Police.

This can also be done either online at: https://bit.ly/DPPContactOnline, by emailing 101@dyfed-powys.police.uk or phoning 101.

If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908.

Please quote reference DPP/2006/27/09/2022/02/C

Alternatively, contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously by calling 0800 555111, or visiting crimestoppers-uk.org.

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK