Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Residents oppose RV plans

Published

on

Coming to Idole?: An RV

Coming to Idole?: An RV

RESIDENTS of Idole are up in arms about a potential camping site for RVs near the village, which they say will damage an ‘ecologically significant wetland’.

The application, which is for a change of land use from agricultural to an American Recreational Vehicle site with 27 pitches and a new road entrance, has been fiercely opposed by a number of local residents since the original plans were put forward in September last year.

These were withdrawn while certain issues were addressed, including an ecological survey. However, a spokesperson for the Idole Focus Group told The Herald that certain key concerns had not been addressed.

“Serious community concerns include safety issues on this stretch of the A484 highway, which has no lighting or pavements,” they said. “These RV vehicles are 12.8 metres long, approximately the size of a 56 seater coach, frequently towing a small car and primarily left hand drive.

“Manoeuvring these slow moving vehicles into and from the site would require them to straddle both road lanes, with inevitable congestion implications.”

While an ecological survey was completed in December 2015, at the request of the CCC ecologist, residents pointed out that this fell outside the recommended April to September time-frame.

Following multiple objections by residents, and emails and telephone calls from the Focus Group, a second Survey was requested by the County Ecologist and the resultant National Vegetation Classification Survey was submitted by the applicant on June 3.

The report lists the presence of Globally Threatened Species, including Whorled Caraway and Species of County or Local High Significance, including Greater Butterfly Orchids and Marsh Orchids. Devils-bit Scabious, an important food plant for the rare Marsh Fritillary Butterfly was also found, but not in sufficient quantity to support a colony of the rare species, according to the report.

The report concludes that mitigation and translocation of these species are the best options, moving these rare plants to another part of the field to make way for caravans. However, the Focus Group claims that under Government guidelines on protected species mitigation, the movement of plants should be regarded as a last resort.

“An alternative option would be to take this opportunity to preserve and protect one of the diminishing local and national oases of biodiversity for future generations,” they suggest. “The Wildlife Trust champions halting the historical losses, since the 1930s, of 97% of wildflower meadows. Their destruction is irreversible, and it is within Carmarthenshire County Council’s power to fulfil their Biodiversity Policy aspirations.”

Protestors point out that CCC’s Biodiversity Policy states: ‘Proposals for development which have an adverse impact (including through disturbance) on protected species or their habitats, or the integrity of other habitats, sites or features of recognised importance to biodiversity and nature conservation interests will NOT be permitted, EXCEPT where it can be demonstrated that there are exceptional circumstances where the reasons for the development or land use change clearly outweighs the need to safeguard the biodiversity and nature conservation interests of the site and where alternative habitat provision can be made in order to maintain and enhance local biodiversity’.

However, it must be noted that following the release of this report, NRW offered no objection to the development.

The report also claims that the Greater Butterfly Orchids found on the site will ‘benefit from the positive conservation management proposed in mitigation of the development, if it proceeds’. It is also suggested that ‘these plants are unlikely to survive if the site continues to be left to scrub-over or if it were to be sold and subsequently agriculturally improved’.

As yet, no decision has been taken by planning officers. However, more than 130 letters of objection and a petition opposing the development have already been sent to CCC.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Business

Ascona Group announces new Car and Truck wash facilities

Published

on

Charlie's Truck Wash

ASCONA GROUP, one of the UK’s fastest-growing forecourt operators, is pleased to announce two new vehicle washing partnerships as part of improvements to its unique roadside retail proposition across its forecourt estate.

As part of a new partnership with the American based PDQ Manufacturing, a leader for in-bay automatic vehicle washing facilities, Ascona Group will be the first in the UK to install the ‘Laserwash 360 Plus’, a touchless car wash system for its customers.

The partnership will initially expand the wash options at the Hinton Service Station, with a view to roll out the system to other sites under the Ascona Group’s brand, ‘Charlie’s Express Car Wash’ later this year. The partnership is a significant investment for Ascona and demonstrates its commitment to ever improving the experience for customers.

Ascona Group is also delighted to announce a strategic partnership with WashTec UK that will see Ascona introduce a ‘First of its Kind’ truck washing facility at the Tenby Road site on the A40 Eastbound in Carmarthenshire, which offers the very best technology available to HGV drivers.

The truck wash employs a fully ‘closed loop’ total water recycling system, the first of its kind in Wales, which recovers all water used within the wash process, filtering it for reuse with little or no water entering the mains drainage system. This system ensures Ascona not only has the best commercial wash in South Wales, but also offers customers one of the more environmentally friendly approaches in operation.

Commenting on the announcement, CEO Darren Briggs said: “From the very beginning, we knew that our sites must present our customers with a unique and compelling offer which is why we are constantly seeking new and innovative ways to improve our roadside retail facilities.

“These two new partnerships further demonstrate our focus on creating industry-leading propositions and we are really excited to be working with PDQ Manufacturing USA and WashTec UK. Together, we are keen to continue to build on the success of these new operations and we are actively reviewing multiple opportunities across the Ascona portfolio to roll out more units such as these.”

Continue Reading

Community

Nearly £50,000 of National Lottery funding for community groups in Carmarthenshire

Published

on

FIVE local community organisations across Carmarthenshire are celebrating after being awarded a share of £49,575 of funding from The National Lottery Community Fund over the past month.

One successful project was MolTân Makers who will use their £9,820 grant to provide metal working workshops for people wishing to improve their mental health and well-being. The group will reach out to mental health groups and the wider community and also allow people to reconnect with the community following the pandemic.

One participant with MolTân Makers explained, “ The course was professionally run by four hard-working people who helped us with one to one tuition when needed. They were so welcoming and adaptable to individual needs and allowed me to attend the course at different hours due to health reasons.

“They were great company and created an interesting and positive atmosphere to help people with mental and physical health problems feel included and understood and we all took home what we made in the course.”

The Hangout received £10,000 and will help young people improve their mental health and wellbeing through structured outdoor activity programmes. The project will build on a previous pilot project that led to more young people becoming re-engaged in school following the pandemic and continuing to volunteer with the group after the initial sessions finished.

The Alternative Learning Company in Llanelli were awarded £9,955 and will recycle plastic bottles to build full size greenhouses. They will propagate plants for growing schemes in local schools and communities. The project will reduce the levels of plastic sent to landfill or polluting open spaces, and give young people an understanding of the impact of climate change.

Newcastle Emlyn Town Council will build an outdoor structure in collaboration with the community, to mark Her Majesty the Queen’s Jubilee. This £10,000 grant will fund building and design materials, and a water harvesting kit.

Messy Projects will use their £9,800 grant to run the activities and events they missed due to the pandemic. Activities will include celebrating the Queens platinum jubilee, a BBQ, and a Bonfire party.

John Rose, Wales Director at The National Lottery Community Fund, said “These groups play a vital role in supporting their communities and these grants will allow them to continue being there for people in future. 

 ”National Lottery players raise more than £30 million each week for good causes across the UK and the projects funded over the past month show the crucial difference players make through their tickets. I look forward to following all of their progress.”  

Continue Reading

News

Family of power station worker calls on former colleagues to help with asbestos claim

Published

on

THE WIFE of a Carmarthenshire man, who was just 66 when he died of an asbestos-related cancer, is calling on colleagues who worked with him in the 1970s to help understand where and how he contracted the disease.

Peter Colton, from Llanelli, died in July 2021 after being diagnosed with the asbestos-related disease, mesothelioma.

He worked as a conveyor and weighbridge operator for the CEGB at Carmarthen Bay Power Station. During his time at the power station, his duties included offloading coal wagons and conveying coal to the boilers.

It is possible that Mr Colton was exposed to asbestos during those years and now his family has sought the help of local asbestos specialists J.M Parsons, to investigate a claim for compensation.

Ann Colton, Mr Colton’s wife, wants answers. She said: “Peter was diagnosed with mesothelioma and died just six weeks later. He had been suffering from shortness of breath and just had no quality of life.

“It was devastating to see someone who had been so healthy and active slowly get worse and worse. We just want to know where and how he was exposed to asbestos and hope someone out there can help us.”

According to data from the Health and Safety Executive, annual mesothelioma deaths in Britain increased steeply over the last 50 years, a consequence of mainly occupational asbestos exposures that occurred because of the widespread industrial use of asbestos during 1950-1980.

Amanda Jones is one of the specialists at J.M Parsons, which is owned by Thompsons Solicitors. Thompsons has paved the way for asbestos litigation in the UK ever since it brought about the first successful asbestos disease claim to the House of Lords in 1972, 50 years ago.

She said: “We would be grateful to hear from anyone who remembers working with Peter Colton in Carmarthen Bay Power Station in the 1970s or anyone who worked in the same field as Peter beyond the 1970s.

“Such individuals will be invaluable to Mr Colton’s family as they may be able to add important information that will assist us in building a civil claim. We hope that we will then be able to answer questions about the conditions that Mr Colton worked in during his working life.”

Anyone with information should contact Amanda Jones on 01554 779940, or via email at amanda@jmplaw.co.uk.

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK