Connect with us


Town take derby spoils – again



Welsh League Division Two

Ammanford 1

Llanelli Town 2

Jamie Evans: Striker grabbed another goal

Jamie Evans: Striker grabbed another goal

GOALS by Jamie Evans and Liam Samuel in either half earned the Reds victory to record a fourth successive win over their near-neighbours.

Having defeated their opponents twice last season together with a 4-0 win at Stebonheath last September, they once again deserved this latest result as they were on top for the majority of the contest.

The only disturbing aspect concerning the side is the lack of a permanent goalkeeper, with midfielder Steve Stone being the latest incumbent between the sticks.

Since the departure of Craig Richards earlier in the season, Stone became the fifth player to take on the duties and had a sound game – even saving a penalty – but the Reds need to address this issue as a matter of urgency.

The visitors did not take long to open their account, as within four minutes they were ahead after an initial ball by Ross Jones across goal was deflected for a corner, and when Richard Lewis sent this over, Samuel struck a powerful shot which Ammanford goalkeeper Ben Ledger could only parry, allowing Evans to bundle the rebound over the line.

When the home side countered, Stone came off his line to clear from the oncoming Owen James on the edge of the area, before Evans headed over the top when he met another Lewis corner.

The nearest Ammanford came was when the fleet-footed Craig Frater with some nice skill got away and exchanged passes with James, but his finish curled just the wrong side of the target.

Both sides created early second half chances, with Stone dealing safely with a Frater free kick, while Evans really should have done better when he was through on goal but sliced his shot wide of the near post.

Five minutes after the restart, the Reds doubled their lead when a long kick out by Stone found Luke Jones whose initial attempt was blocked by Ledger, but the ball found its way to Samuel wide on the left and he finished with a delightful half volley.

Despite trailing, Ammanford were looking more dangerous than in the first period, and it took a saving tackle by Jandir Zola on Rhys Fisher to prevent a certain goal when Ben Soal set up the chance.

They went even closer when a shot from distance by Matthew Fisher struck the post with Stone beaten, while Chris Thomas did well to dispossess Frater when his run took him into the box.

On 79 minutes the hosts were presented with a golden chance to reduce the deficit with the award of a penalty following a tackle in the area, but Frater had his spot kick well kept out by Stone who guessed correctly.

Ammanford did finally get a reward seven minutes from time through Mathew Jones who seized on the loose ball following a save by Stone to find the top corner, and in the dying moments, a header by Rhys Owen went agonisingly wide from a Dayle Selvage corner.


Ammanford: Ledger; Selvage; R. Fisher ©; Griffiths; Owen; Soal; Williams; M. Jones; Frater; M. Fisher; James (Murray, 66).

Subs not used: N. Jones; Harding.

Llanelli Town: Stone; Napieralla; Lewis; Zola; C. Thomas; Bevan ©; Samuel (Harries, 84); R. Jones; L. Jones (Forkuoh, 63); Evans; R. Thomas.

Subs not used: Hughes; Bauza; Martin.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Late goal sees Lido beat Ammanford



Report and photo courtesy of Ian Parfitt

AMMANFORD suffered the heartbreak of late defeat at Afan Lido on Friday night with an 87th minute winner from Liam Griffiths securing a 2-1 win and all three points for the hosts.

Afan Lido started the match on the front foot and Ammanford were clearly struggling with the pace on Lido’s flanks. A foul in the box led to a penalty for Lido in the 11th minute which was dispatched by Chris Jones.

Afan Lido were largely on top in the first half however were unable to add to their goal. Ammanford were restricted to half chances although Callum Silcox did hit the post with an angled shot.

Ammanford would have hoped for an early goal in the second half and that’s exactly what they got in the 48th minute, the excellent Jordan Langley spotting the keeper off his line and hitting a looping shot into the net from 30 yards.

This goal clearly settled Ammanford and spurred on by a vociferous away support went in search of a second goal.

Afan Lido rode their luck in the 63rd minute when Owyn Airey smashed a shot against the bar.
Callum Silcox then forced Lido keeper Steve Cann into an excellent save in the 74th minute with a rasping, long range effort.

Ammanford looked the most likely team to score and had several other opportunities which they failed to convert.

Ammanford were playing well with Morgan Clarke particularly influential in midfield.

Just when it looked as if a hard fought contest was heading for a draw Griffiths swept home from close range in the 87th minute following a Lido corner.

Ammanford frantically went in search of a second equaliser in the time that remained but this eluded them and the final whistle brought about feelings of what could have been for the away team.

Ammanford will look to put things right in their next match, a home encounter against Goytre Utd on Friday (Sept 30).

Continue Reading


Williams’ wonder strike sinks Village



CWMAMMAN United came away from a hard fought match at near neighbours Garden Village in front of a large crowd with the three points following a powerful strike from Sion Dafydd Williams.

It was the second win on the trot for Cwm and manager Paul Lewis will have been especially pleased with a second consecutive clean sheet.

Cwm started well and dominated the first half that saw a Cory Saunders inswinging corner beat everyone and bounce out off the far post while Williams then later saw his shot agonisingly trickle past the post.

A high ball in to the Village box then hit the defender’s hand and Cwm had a penalty. Kyle Ashford struck it well but it was a tad too high and Wyn Walters made an excellent save. Charlie Davies then had an opportunity following a great move but fired just wide.

Ross Morgan, Ashford and Davies were dominating midfield while Grant Rees and Callum Dougal in the heart of the defence were controlling the Village attacks.

The goal was coming but not expected as spectacularly as it did when in the 39th minute a cross into the box saw Sion Dafydd Williams leaving Walters with no chance as he rocketed the ball into the net from the edge of the box as he seemed to be facing away from goal.

As the first period Garden Village will have been relieved to see half time just a goal down and will have been happy that they were still in it.

The second half saw a more even game with Walters again making excellent saves from Keiran Richards and from a Williams header. Village were now breaking more and Kai Rees who had tidied up excellently behind the Cwm defence throughout had to make a great finger tip save in the 70th minute.

Both sides then had to make changes due to injury with Cwm losing Leon Croucher, Williams and Richards to be replaced by Harrison

Thomas, Jordan Sullivan and Alex Giardelli returning to his old club.

Cwm seemed to be seeing the game out comfortably but had a late scare when Giardelli was given a red card for a reckless challenge in the 98th minute and nervously had to defend one last free kick.

An important win in the context of the season and Cwm now entertain Treharris Athletic on Saturday, October 1, at Grenig Park, 2.30pm

Continue Reading


Amman earn first win of the season



AMMAN United claimed their first win of the season after an opening-day draw, and a cup defeat at Haverfordwest last weekend.

However, you would have been hard pushed to imagine a 50-point final-score when, just before half time, the score remained 0-0.

But two injury time scores had then given Amman an unlikely 12-0 interval lead against the Bulldogs.

A bright opening from United saw centre Gavin Lewis, on yet another comeback, show his trickery with a nice run and offload early on. Hooker George Clark had a fine game and was in the thick of everything, as were fellow forwards Iwan Davies, Dan Jones, Rhydian Jones and captain Alun Lewis.

Bynea suffered a very early blow, losing Corey Butler to an untimely injury, and they were later to also see Jamie Thomas limp off before half time.

These injuries meant a large period of added-time, and the Bulldogs’ valiant defence cracked during the injury-time as Joel Foster and Alun Lewis combined to put in flanker Rhydian Jones for the opening try, which Tom Caddell converted.

A frustrating couple of minutes for the visitors was compounded when a quick tap and go penalty from scrum half Foster saw him smuggle over the try line for a second try on the stroke of half time.

The Reds continued in good heart after the restart, and after some good play,Foster and and Dan Jones were involved before Rhydian Jones slipped a fine offload to skipper Alun Lewis who went under the posts for another converted try.

Another “vet” came on, Adrian Thomas off the bench as the home side largely dominated with their pack in the ascendency, Cian Lewis, Jason Knell and Rhys Phillips having put in a good shift throughout.

The Bulldogs then had a purple patch for a while,centre Jack Mal almost finishing off a fine move, before more calamity struck for them as Jake Sam was sadly stretchered off.

Amman capitalised and grabbed a bonus point try when the excellent George Clarke went over for another score to make it 24-0.

But the dogged visitors were always a threat, and carved out an excellent try for their efforts as wing Nathan Baker finished off a well-worked team move, which outside half Finlay Cook converted.

Amman hit back when the back row combined well before Dan Jones went over the whitewash for a try.

A very young Bynea side battled to the end,and some more excellent play was rewarded with a try for Tom Badger, converted by Cook.

However, the home side had the last word and grabbed a very late injury time try as the industrious Rhydian Jones crossed for the final score of the game.

Amman face a tough trip to Tumble on Saturday, October 1, while Bynea are home against New Dock Stars.

Continue Reading