Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

All change at recycling centres

Published

on

RESIDENTS in Carmarthenshire who are visiting a recycling centre are being asked to separate their recyclables before they arrive – or they will have to do it there instead.

From Monday, October 7, black bags taken to the county’s four recycling centres at Trostre (Llanelli), Nantycaws (Carmarthen), Wernddu (Ammanford) and Whitland will have to be opened for the operatives to show they do not contain any recyclable waste.

If they do contain food or items that can be recycled residents will be expected to sort them on-site into the correct containers with guidance from the operatives or take them home to sort.

It is hoped the move will lead to a 3.1% increase in the county’s recycling rate.

Figures show that on average almost half of the contents of black bags in Carmarthenshire are recyclable.

Similar measures have already been introduced at other local authority recycling centres with much success.

Executive Board Member for the Environment Cllr Hazel Evans said: “It is vital we increase our recycling rate, or we could risk being fined by Welsh Government – and this could run into hundreds of thousands of pounds.

“Unfortunately, we know that some black bags contain waste that is going to landfill instead of being recycled and we must change this. We are currently recycling around 58% of our rubbish and we need to reach 64% by the end of the financial year.

“This, together with a reduction in the number of black bags that can be put out for collection and giving householders food bin liners will hopefully help us to achieve this.”

The maximum number of black bags that can put out for collection is changing to three a fortnight from October 7.

Food bin liners are also being delivered to homes across Carmarthenshire for the first time to help and encourage residents to recycle their food waste more easily.

There is no limit on how many blue bags householders can put out – please make sure they contain only clean and dry recyclables – and food bins are collected weekly.

If needed, it is quicker to pick up replacement brown caddies or green bins from one of the Hwbs or the council offices in Llandeilo, or they can be ordered online.

Residents can also find out when their blue bags and food bin liners are due to be delivered using the online delivery tracker.

For more information visit the council website carmarthenshire.gov.wales/recycling.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Council continues with Storm Dennis clean-up

Published

on

CARMARTHENSHIRE’S clean-up operation following Storm Dennis is continuing

Crews have been working hard to clear debris left by the floods, with specialist contractors being drafted in to help in some areas.

A full assessment of the damage caused is being carried out and inspections of affected roads, verges and bridges on major routes will be completed by the end of the week.

A Support Fund has also been set up for residents and businesses in need of financial support.

All homes in Carmarthenshire affected by the floods can receive support and advice, with a £200 advance to those most in need.

Business support officers have contacted more than 100 businesses who have previously been affected by floods to offer assistance if needed; with rate relief also being sought from Welsh Government. The majority of businesses affected have now been able to re-open.

Council Leader Cllr Emlyn Dole has today taken part in a Welsh Government summit being held today (Wednesday) to discuss the disruption and damage caused by Storm Dennis along with representatives from other local authorities, Natural Resources Wales, the emergency services, businesses and voluntary groups.

Cllr Dole said: “I would like to thank staff who are working hard in the aftermath of the storm to clear up affected parts of the county and who are advising and supporting residents and businesses.

“A Support Fund has been set up to help those most in need of financial support and I would urge anyone affected to please get in touch.

“A full assessment of the damage is underway, and, as well as working with partner agencies, we will liaise with Welsh Government to ascertain what resources are available.”

For more information or to apply for the Support Fund visit the council website or call 01267 234567.

Continue Reading

News

Carmarthenshire Labour call on county to sort out school buses

Published

on

LOCAL representatives Lee Waters MS, Nia Griffith MP and Cllr Rob James have again called upon Carmarthenshire Council to step in to restore school bus services across the county, after it has become clear that they have the power to do so.

Lee Waters MS and Nia Griffith MP stepped in to ask the UK Government to grant an exemption to the new regulations to allow parents and the council time to come up with a permanent solution in Carmarthenshire. A letter received by Lee Waters and Nia Griffith from the Secretary of State for Wales makes it clear that an exemption already exists that would allow Carmarthenshire to step in. The exemption was made available to all school transport procured by or on behalf of a school on 31 December last year.

Before these exemptions were granted school pupils in Carmarthenshire had seen many of their school bus routes cut, as a result of the introduction of regulations from the UK Government. The regulations, passed in 2000 and phased in, restricts the types of vehicles that bus companies could use to ensure that all vehicles can accept wheelchairs. The changes have caused a number of school bus routes to be axed with around 500 pupils directly affected. As a result children have been left with long walks to school in the dark and rain, or having to catch service buses that are more expensive and don’t provide an adequate and timely service.

The Labour Group on Carmarthenshire Council, led by Cllr Rob James have been pressuring the Plaid Cymru leadership to take initiative and commission replacement services since this exemption was announced, but the Plaid Cymru leadership have maintained that they aren’t able to do so.

Lee Waters MS said: “We have written to the UK Government to ask them to allow school bus services to keep running as before, but they’ve written back pointing out there’s nothing stopping Carmarthenshire Council from commissioning buses themselves.

“It would be simpler if the UK Government were to take action but there is a way that Plaid Cymru in Carmarthenshire could sort things out, but it’s clear they won’t act.

“Meanwhile, it’s the children who are suffering”

Nia Griffith MP said: “It’s now crystal clear that Carmarthenshire Council could step in to restore the buses. The only thing holding them back is reluctance on the part of the Plaid Cymru leadership.

“I’m particularly frustrated because we’ve pointed out that the Council could solve this by contracting a service for weeks now, and they’ve refused to budge. Because of that, Carmarthenshire could now be at the back of the queue and pupils will be left stranded.”

Cllr Rob James said: “The children and families affected by the administration’s inaction deserve an apology. We have always known that it was the local Council that could step in and support pupils – it’s baffling that they are still refusing to do so.

“In the coming weeks we will be tabling a vote in the Council to restore lost school buses and I hope all Councillors will vote with their conscience.”

Continue Reading

Community

More investment on Carmarthenshire’s A484 is underway

Published

on

The final stage of recovery works to repair damage caused by Storm Callum on Carmarthenshire’s A484 is underway.

A highly complex programme of phased works has already been completed in one of the worst hit areas at Cwmduad, when a landslide tragically claimed the life of a young man.

Repairs as a result of the storm have also been carried out at Bronwydd.

Some 20 miles of the A484 was affected by the extreme weather conditions in Carmarthenshire in October 2018 stretching from Carmarthen to Cenarth.

Phase two of the support works have now started at other affected areas at Henallt Bends, Pante South, Llwyfan Cerrig Station, Foelfach, Tirgwili/Rock and Fountain, Mile End, Nantclawdd, the A484/A475 junction, Gelligatti before finishing at Flatwood in Cenarth.

Works will include felling damaged trees, providing foundations for new safety barriers, stabilising embankments and installing new highway drainage chambers.

Carmarthenshire Council secured funding from Welsh Government to carry out maintenance of the highway in response to detailed inspections following the storm.

Cllr Hazel Evans, Executive Board Member for Environment, said: “This has been a very complex operation covering over 20 miles and involving a number of agencies. Whilst the safety of the public is paramount, every effort will be made to ensure these essential works are carried out with as minimal disruption as possible until they have been completed. We understand that this has had a major impact on the local community and road users, and we would like to thank them for their patience and co-operation whilst these recovery and repair works are being carried out.”

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK