Connect with us


Wanderers win again



CARMARTHEN Wanderers earned their fifth win of the season on Saturday (Jun 1) as they beat Newbridge by 36 runs.

The Wanderers batted first after winning the toss and they scored an excellent 256-8 in their 50 overs.

Newbridge came close to reaching their target but three wickets from Leighton Walters saw them bowled out for 220.

The Wanderers lost opener Robbie Crawford early on as he was run out by James Morgan.

Leighton Walters and Stephen Inward then shared 44 runs for the second wicket as they looked to get their side going.

Walters had scored 15 but he was then bowled by Ben Wellington. Soon after, Gareth Thomas was caught by Will Davey off the bowling of Christopher Hartland and the Wanderers were 54-3.

Inward and Owain Binding then shared 60 runs together as they reached three figures inside 22 overs.

Inward hit six fours and a six as he made a good score of 52 but he was then caught by James Morgan off the bowling of Matthew Williams.

Binding was then joined at the crease by Daniel Jones and the pair put on another good stand worth 54 runs.

Binding just missed out on a half century as he was bowled on a score of 48 (seven fours) by Williams.

Steve Mills was next in and he made 20 before being bowled by Scott Greaves.

Jones then shared another 61 runs with Owain Davies as they set about giving their opponents a tough target to chase.

Jones hit seven fours and three sixes in his knock of 76 from 71 balls but he was then caught by Wellington off the bowling of Gavin Jones.

Owain Davies went on to finish not out on 20 and Newbridge knew they would need to bat well to stand a chance of reaching their target.

They did indeed get off to a good start as openers James and Travis Morgan shared 94 runs for the first wicket.

However, Newbridge soon found themselves struggling on 123-4.

Ian Hughes made the breakthrough as he trapped James Morgan leg before on a score of 42 (five fours, one six).

Hughes then bowled Christopher Hartland for a second ball duck and Travis Morgan was then ran out by Daniel Jones on a score of 56 (six fours).

Jones then claimed his second run out as he dismissed Will Davey.

Wickets contined to fall as Ryan Watkins was caught by Owain Binding off the bowling of Robbie Crawford.

The bowler then picked up his second as he bowled Matthew Williams, leaving Newbridge on 137-6.

Ben Wellington was then bowled by Binding as the game began to slip away from the hosts.

Alex Horton and Cael Jones did share a stand of 57 but that came to an end when Leighton Walters trapped Jones leg before on a score of 28 that included one four and two sixes.

Walters then bowled Scott Greaves and wrapped up the innings when he had Horton caught by Binding on a score of 63.

The win sees the Wanderers open up a 12-point gap at the top of Division 2 and on Saturday (Jun 8), they host third placed Penarth.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Wales v Scotland postponed



WALES’ Six Nations match at home to Scotland on Saturday has been postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak.

The two other Six Nation fixtures had already been postponed and no date has been confirmed to complete the 2020 Championship.

The Welsh Rugby Union had insisted earlier on Friday the game would “go ahead as planned”.

A WRU statement read: “The Welsh Rugby Union has maintained an open dialogue with, and continued to seek advice and direction from, the National Assembly for Wales and other stakeholders, including the Six Nations, on this fast-moving issue.

“Whilst medical advice remains consistent, we have decided that it is in the best interests of supporters, players and staff to fall in line with recent measures taken across the UK and global sports industries.

“The WRU would like to thank all parties for their counsel on the subject and will make further announcements with respect to rescheduling the fixture in the coming days.

“Every effort has been made to stage this game and we appreciate that individuals will have been inconvenienced. Given the fluid and unprecedented nature of this issue a postponement became the only viable option.”

Continue Reading


Domestic football at all levels in Wales suspended



THE FOOTBALL Association of Wales has today (13 March) taken the decision to suspend domestic football at all levels in Wales with immediate effect until April 4 due to the COVID-19 outbreak.

The intention at this time will be to resume the football schedule depending on the medical advice and conditions from the relevant authorities at that time.

The FAW is fully aware of the impact this will have on the domestic game but the health and safety of all fans, players, volunteers and stakeholders are of paramount importance.

The FAW will continue to monitor this situation on a day-by-day basis and will continue to provide updates when appropriate.

Continue Reading


Static Bike Challenge



Firefighters from Llandelio Fire Station took part in a 22-hour static bike challenge to raise money for Llandilo Rural Fire Brigade who have been tirelessly battling the devastating bush fires in Australia. LLandilo town in Australia was named after Llandelio in Carmarthenshire and the Fire Stations have maintained their connection over the years.

Seeing the efforts and the devastation of the bush fires in Australia and the work and dedication from the Firefighters to ensure their communities are safe, crews from Llandelio decided to raise funds by undertaking a 22 hour cycle on static bikes to represent the time it takes to fly to Australia.

On the 15th February 2020 at 3pm the challenge started! The firefighters were split into two teams of five, with each team taking it in turn to cycle for 30 minutes each throughout the 22 hours. This ensured that they were continually cycling and whilst still being able to provide operational cover. All this took place during Storm Dennis and during the challenge crews were called out to a total of eight incidents, one of which was a property flooding, during which crews rescued 6 adults and 2 dogs from a potentially critical situation.

Watch Manager, John Herman from Llandeilio Fire Station said:

“This entire experience has brought the two fire stations closer together, and after keeping in contact throughout this last few months, we look forward to continuing that connection for years to come!”

Over the two days, crews welcomed many visitors who came to show their support and donate money to the charity. To date the figure stands at £2,500 which is equivalent to almost $4900 AUD, and this figure is still rising with donations coming in from schools, town councils and public donations! Crews would like to give a special thanks to Llandelio CP School and Ysgol Gynradd Ffaifach who raised collectively over £800 for the challenge.

Continue Reading