Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Convicted stalker posing as Labour parliamentary candidate

Published

on

A CONVICTED stalker is posing as Labour’s parliamentary candidate for Carmarthen East and Dinefwr, despite being suspended from the party a year ago.

Chris Hardy claims to be the constituency’s parliamentary candidate for Welsh Labour, delivering leaflets door to door and even having his own website – www.labourchris.com.

His website reads: “Hello! My name’s Chris Hardy and I’m your local Labour Party candidate for the Carmarthen East & Dinefwr Constituency.

“I am a self-funded candidate, which means everything from this website to the leaflets delivered to your door are all created and funded privately by myself, and not through the usual constituency and party fundraising means.

“I’m a 34-year-old single gay man and I’ve lived here in Carmarthenshire since 2012, moving here from Manchester, England. I’d never really considered living here in Wales before, but fancying a change of scenery from city life, I made the move.
“I’ve been causing trouble ever since but in a good way I hope – by being an advocate wherever possible for standing and speaking up for what’s right.”

In February, Hardy was convicted of stalking an 18-year-old man. Hardy had denied the harassment charge.

The jury heard how Hardy had met the victim when he worked at a garage.

The young man told the jury how he quit his job to escape Hardy’s unwanted attentions. But Hardy tracked him down to his home, left unwanted gifts and letters on his car and repeatedly visited, despite being told to stay away by his parents. Hardy continued to try and contact the teenager even after police had arrested him, and at one stage visited his home pretending to be canvassing for the Labour Party.

The victim said he was not gay and had been ‘freaked out’ by Hardy’s pursuit of him. Hardy admitted he had become infatuated with the young man and said he believed he was under pressure from his family to pretend he was straight.

After the jury returned a unanimous verdict of guilty, Judge Paul Thomas told Hardy, who represented himself, that he was ‘deluded’ and briefly sent him into custody because he refused to stop talking and listen. Judge Thomas issued a restraining order, preventing Hardy from contacting the victim or his parents by any means. Hardy received a 12-month prison sentence, suspended for two years.

Welsh Labour has reiterated that the party’s candidate in Carmarthen East and Dinefwr is Maria Carroll, who was elected by local party members. The party also stated that Mr Hardy is not and never has been a parliamentary candidate. Whilst disciplinary cases are not discussed, it is understood that Mr Hardy was suspended from Labour party membership in summer 2018, with allegations of criminal behaviour also made.

Despite this, Mr Hardy has handing out leaflets door to door in the Carmarthen East and Dinefwr constituency as recently as March 24.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Abergwili: Police investigate death of couple in property on High Street

Published

on

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is investigating the sudden death of a man and a woman who died in a property at High Street, Abergwili, Carmarthen.

A spokesman said: “Police were called to the address shortly after 6pm on Thursday, 26 March 2020. Officers are currently investigating the circumstances of the deaths, which are being treated as unexplained.

“They are not being linked to COVID-19 at this time.

“Next of kin and HM Coroner are aware.”

The family said: “It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of John David Bound and Gwendoline Christine Bound.

“The family wish for their privacy to be respected in their time of grief.”

Continue Reading

News

Carers needed to start work immediately

Published

on

The council is urgently recruiting carers to help support older and vulnerable residents of Carmarthenshire as a result of the coronavirus outbreak.

We are particularly appealing for people who have worked within the care sector previously who would consider returning to work during these unprecedented times.

If you have ever worked as a domiciliary care worker or in a residential care home, we are urging you to please get in touch.

Staff are needed throughout Carmarthenshire, you must be 18-years-old, can start immediately and able to work up to 16 hours a week.

Experience is desirable but not essential, so if you do not have any experience in the care industry, but want to help, then we can quickly provide the relevant training.

Executive Board Member for Health and Social Care Cllr Jane Tremlett said: “Now more than ever, people are needed to provide care and support to those who are vulnerable in our communities.

“If you have any experience or even no experience but this is a job you would like to do and are in a position to apply, I would urge you to please contact us.

“Working in domiciliary care is extremely rewarding; you really are making a difference to people’s lives, particularly during this uncertain time. So please help us and help your community too.”

The council offers good rates of pay and flexible hours. Full and part-time, permanent and temporary contracts are available.

We want to make the application process as easy as possible, so only the mandatory fields on the application form will need to be completed along with a brief statement about any care you have provided. If you have not provided care in a work setting you can instead state what you think would make you a good carer.

Applicants will be contacted by telephone following their application.

Continue Reading

News

Police appeal following Carmarthen burglary allegation

Published

on

“Dyfed-Powys Police is investigating an allegation of burglary which occurred in a property In Guildhall Square, Carmarthen at approximately 10.55am on Friday, 28th February 2020.

A quantity of cash was stolen from the property

Officers have carried out all possible lines of enquiry, and are now appealing for help from the public. They would like to identify the man in the CCTV image, who may have information that could help the investigation.

Anyone who knows who he is, or if you believe you are pictured, contact Dyfed-Powys Police either online at: http://bit.ly/DPPReportOnline, by email at: contactcentre@dyfed-powys.pnn.police.uk, or by calling 101. If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908.”

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK