Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Health

Important step for Welsh cancer treatment

Published

on

THE FIRST NHS Wales cancer patient to receive proton beam therapy in Wales has started treatment at the Rutherford Cancer Centre South Wales in Newport.

The Newport centre is approved by the Welsh Health Specialised Services Committee (WHSSC) to provide high energy proton beam therapy to adult patients, referred from the NHS in south Wales.

Professor Roger Taylor, Senior Clinical Advisor and Consultant Clinical Oncologist at the Rutherford Cancer Centre South Wales, said: “The availability of proton beam therapy at a local clinic is an important step forward in cancer care in the UK and we are pleased to be able to provide treatment for this young man.

“Whilst proton therapy is not a panacea for all types of cancer, we have seen where it can be beneficial in treating a range of tumours. Working with the NHS in Wales means that adult patients have an option to be treated closer to home.”

Jamie Powell, Centre Manager at the Rutherford Cancer Centre South Wales, said: “Providing access to the Rutherford Cancer Centres for NHS patients is something we have been working towards and we are pleased to announce this on World Cancer Day. Our centre and services in Newport are supported by NHS Wales clinical, hospital and research facilities and we look forward to continuing to provide excellent care in a high-quality and technologically advanced environment.”

The Rutherford Cancer Centre South Wales was the first clinic in the UK to provide high energy proton beam therapy and treated the first non-NHS patient with high energy proton beam therapy in the UK in April of last year.

Rupert Lowe, chairman of Proton Partners International, said: “As someone who had to travel abroad to receive proton beam therapy, I am delighted to be reporting on World Cancer Day today that the situation is changing at last in the UK.

“We were extremely proud to treat the first proton beam therapy patient in the UK last April and scores more have benefited from this treatment without having to travel abroad. We are also pleased to see the development of proton beam therapy facilities within the NHS.

“We are delighted to have been commissioned by health commissioners in Wales to treat adult NHS patients with proton beam therapy and are very proud that our first NHS patient began treatment today.

“The UK Government recently set out an ambitious 10-year plan for the NHS which includes major commitments to tackling cancer. We firmly believe that given the magnitude of the challenge, a collaborative approach among healthcare providers will achieve the best results for patients.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

Coronavirus update and face mask shortage

Published

on

THE OUTBREAK of coronavirus in China continues to evolve and cases have been reported in over 20 countries around the world.
Although the risk to the public remains moderate, Wales’ medical authorities continue to plan and implement targeted services so that they can mount a swift and proportionate response.
Following weeks of preparation, the virology laboratory at University Hospital of Wales commenced testing for COVID-19 on February 7.
Before this, Public Health England undertook testing.
Wales’ Chief Medical Officer, Dr Frank Atherton, said: “I would like to thank Public Health Wales for their expertise and dedication in providing this important testing service and for developing and supporting the wider NHS response. More than 100 people have so far been tested in Wales and we have had no confirmed cases to date.
“I wrote to the NHS in the week ending February 7, advising on the importance of immediate implementation of community assessment and testing services and the establishment of Coronavirus Testing Units separate from Emergency Departments.
“Implementing community assessment and testing services allows for people with mild symptoms to remain self-isolated at home where they are attended by trained clinical professionals who can assess their health and undertake the necessary tests.”
Dr Atherton continued: “Coronavirus Testing Units will ensure that individuals who present to our acute hospitals because of concerns they are at risk can receive prompt assessment in an area separate from Emergency Departments. Both measures benefit the individuals without impacting on the day to day services provided by our NHS.
The advice for travellers remains unchanged – all travellers who develop flu-like symptoms however mild, (these symptoms could be a fever, a cough, or difficulty breathing) within 14 days of returning from mainland China, Thailand, Japan, Republic of Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia or Macau, should self-isolate at home immediately and call NHS Direct Wales or 111, if available in their area. It is important to note that travellers from Wuhan and Hubei province should self-isolate for 14 days, even if they do not have symptoms, due to the increased risk from that area.”
As for what steps the public can take to reduce the risk of transmission, those remain the same as for any respiratory virus. Dr Atherton said: “The advice is to catch it, bin it, kill it and wash your hands.
“I will continue to coordinate action with my fellow UK Chief Medical Officers in response to the developing situation. I will keep you regularly informed of developments.”
FACE MASK SHORTAGE HITS DENTISTS
The British Dental Association (BDA) has warned the shortage of face masks sparked by the coronavirus outbreak now poses an imminent risk of disruption to UK dental services unless officials and industry are prepared to ease rationing.
The Association reports it has been inundated by calls from member practices unclear on their options, in the wake of panic buying and supply problems. The People’s Republic of China is the world’s leading manufacturer of sanitary masks, and several suppliers have tripled their prices since January.
Based on contact with leading suppliers the BDA reports a ‘one size fits all’ model of rationing has now already left practices unable to order more than 2 boxes of masks per day (ie: 100 masks) irrespective of their size.
The Association estimates a single surgery in a typical NHS practice, seeing around 28 patients per day, will be getting through 5 boxes of masks a week. Private practices, which typically see fewer patients, are consuming half as many, around 2.5 boxes a week.
While smaller practices may be able to maintain viability on permitted orders of 10 boxes per week (2 per working day), even ‘two-chair’ NHS practices are now likely to use up their allocation completely.
The BDA is dealing with enquires from practices with up to 13 chairs.
‘Single-handed’ practices make up less than 20% of all UK providers.
Under the current guidance, Health Technical Memorandum 01-05 (HTM 01-05), all dental professionals operating in England should wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including disposable face masks, clinical gloves, household gloves, plastic disposable aprons, and eye protection.
In Scotland, practitioners are permitted to use disposable masks or reusable visors interchangeably.
The BDA has indicated it will ask the Welsh Government and NHS England to invoke force majeure clauses in NHS contracts should the situation deteriorate further, to protect multiple practices left unable to meet their contractual targets in the event of disruption.
BDA Chair Mick Armstrong said: “In recent weeks dentists have been hit by panic buying, clumsy rationing and naked profiteering. Sadly a ‘one size fits all’ approach from suppliers is leaving many larger practices with few options.
“Our abiding interest is the safety of our patients, who face imminent disruption to their care.
“Unless we see a rapid increase in supply, dentists without face masks will have little choice but to down drills.”

Continue Reading

Community

Extended park and ride service for Glangwili Hospital

Published

on

An extended shuttle service will run directly between Nantyci car park and Glangwili Hospital starting Monday 3 February.

This service, funded by Hywel Dda University Health Board (UHB), is in response to staff feedback following a temporary suspension of parking measures at both Glangwili and Prince Philip hospitals.

The Carmarthen park and ride service PR2 will leave Nantyci car park (SA31 3SA) at 0700, then every half hour from 1830 to 2130. The buses will return from the hospital at 0714 then every half hour from 1844 to 2144.

Andrew Carruthers, Director of Operations at Hywel Dda UHB, said: “Following the temporary suspension of parking measures at Glangwili and Prince Philip hospitals we immediately spoke with our staff to find out what could be put in place to reduce the number of staff who have no alternative but to park on site.

“The operating hours of the park and ride were a recurrent theme for Glangwili staff with many saying that they couldn’t make use of it if they worked shifts.

“We hope to see many more of our staff using the park and ride following our investment to extend the hours while we continue to explore further options to help alleviate parking pressures at Glangwili.”

The PR1 park and ride service will continue its current operating hours between 0730 to 1825, departing Nantyci on the hour and on the half hour towards the hospital via the town centre. The PR1 service will leave Glangwili Hospital to return to Nantyci at quarter past and quarter to the hour.

For passengers starting their journey at Nantyci car park, parking remains free and bus travel to and from the town centre (service PR1) or the hospital (services PR1 and PR2) will be only £1 for a day return ticket, with free travel for children under 16 if accompanied by an adult. This journey is free for all Hywel Dda employees, simply show your ID badge.

Continue Reading

Health

Life of Carmarthen mother turned on its head after starring in TV health series

Published

on

A Carmarthen woman who starred in a health and fitness TV programme last year is urging people to put their names forward for the new series.

Annaly Jones’ life has been turned on its head after being selected to take part as one five leaders on S4C’s FFIT Cymru last April. Viewers followed Annaly’s progress closely as she managed to lose two stone in just seven weeks by following bespoke fitness and food plans provided by a team of experts from the show.

She has continued her progress since by eating healthily and limiting takeaways and snacks, swapping wine for lower calorie drinks on nights out and exercising regularly. Last September, she completed the Cardiff 10k run with two of her fellow leaders from the show, Matthew and David.

Prior to appearing on the show, the busy single mother struggled to find time to exercise and cook healthy meals, while working two jobs and raising her three sons.

Annaly said: “I used to try different diets – Weight Watchers, Slimming World, and I would reach a certain level and reward myself with a bottle of wine and a takeaway and after a while I would just go back to eating how I was before. I wasn’t doing any exercise either, I didn’t have the confidence to go the gym because the perception was that everyone was healthy and thin.

“I decided to enter FFIT Cymru because one of my friends had applied the year before, and looking back now, I’m so glad I did. It’s changed my life altogether, the way I think about food, exercise and about myself generally.

“I’m still not the size I want to be, I’d like to go down one more size, but I can go clothes shopping now knowing that the clothes look better on me than last year. I don’t stick to the diet completely and I don’t stop myself from having fun or having the odd takeaway. If I eat something that’s a bit naughty, I work it off in a different way, by making sure my other meals that day are healthy, or doing some exercise.

“I understand now which foods are healthy but also tasty. I’ve learnt to like myself too – I deserve to be happy and to be successful.”

Since the series ended last year, Annaly has also made a big change in her career, by moving to Nantgaredig to take over the lease of the Railway Hotel, with friend Melanie Phillips Rees. Annaly believes that her starring role in the TV series gave her the confidence boost she needed to make such a big decision.

“We took over on the first of October and it’s been brilliant,” she added. “We have some fantastic locals supporting us and there’s no mention of Dry January!

“It was a massive step for me to do FFIT Cymru, and it’s given me this ‘why not’ attitude. I’ve definitely rediscovered a lot of my self-confidence since then. When we were offered the lease of the pub, I thought, ‘why not?’. I think not trying at all is worse than trying something and failing.

“I’ve had a career change, I’ve moved house and I’ve carried on losing weight – I’m just happier in myself now.

“I could inspire just one person to go for it and apply for the show this year, I’d be so chuffed. It was an amazing experience, one that you only get to do once. I’m a bit jealous of the ones who get to do it this year to be honest!”

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK