Connect with us


First half blitz sets up Hendy win



HENDY kicked their 2019 off to a perfect start as they thumped Tenby United 28-66 at Heywood Lane on Saturday (Jan 5).

The win is their third in a row and sees them stay fourth in League 1 West with just four points separating them from second placed Llangennech.

On the other hand, despite taking the lead early on, Tenby succumbed to their eleventh defeat of the season and remain bottom of the table.

With only a minute on the clock Tenby were on the attack and when the ball broke loose, Jack Parkinson kicked the ball before catching and going on to touch down. Lloyd Thomas then added the extras for a 7-0 lead.

Try: Hendy score their first of the game

However, Hendy were soon level as a Tenby knocked the ball on giving Hendy the chance to kick to touch. From the resulting lineout a maul was set up and Hendy pushed themselves over with Iwan Mayze credited with the try. Rhydian Morris kicked the conversion to level the scores.

Three minutes later the visitors were in the lead as Ifan Beynon took a quick tap penalty in his own 22 before sprinting the rest of the field to score the try. Morris then added the simple extras.

They soon had their third try as Beynon picked the ball up from a maul and faked a pass to create a gap which he sped through to score his second try of the game. Morris then added the extras from out wide and Hendy led 7-21.

Tenby looked to get themselves back in the game but a knock on saw their attack come to an end. Hendy kicked to touch but the home side won the resulting line out and attacked again only for a forward kick to go into touch.

The visitors went in search of their fourth try and they thought they had it but the referee called play back for a forward pass.

They weren’t to be denied their bonus point, however, as with 25 minutes gone, another maul was set up and this time Aled Thomas was credited with the try. Morris added the extras.

Hendy continued to pile the pressure on and after another Tenby foul they kicked to touch 5 metres out. Morris stepped up but his conversion went just over the post and the score stayed at 7-33.

On the half hour mark Tenby responded as Jack Broadhurst scored a try under the posts which Lloyd converted with ease.

Another knock on by Tenby gave Hendy the chance to come forward again with Thomas making a good run before he was held up.

Five minutes before half time Hendy scored sixth try as Tom Havard broke into the try zone before running on to touch down under the post to give Morris another simple conversion.

There was still time for a seventh try as Hendy passed the ball out to the right and Dyfan Williams finished off an excellent move. Morris added the extras again and Hendy led 14-47 when the half time whistle went.

Whatever was said to the Tenby team at half time seemed to work as they started the second half like they had the first. After a high tackle from Hendy, the home side took a quick tap penalty and after another Hendy foul they had a penalty which they kicked to touch.

From the lineout Tenby pushed their way over with Moritz Neuman touching the ball down. Lloyd then added the extras to bring Tenby back into it at 21-47.

Hendy were then penalised for holding on in their own half and Tenby were given a scrum. Tenby came forward but were then also penalised for holding on and the chance was gone.

They were made to pay for that as Havard scored his second try of the game. This time Morris sent the conversion wide.

Hendy were keen to add more points and after a series of infringements at the scrum by Tenby the referee marched under the posts to award a penalty try and give the visitors a 21-59 lead.

Tenby looked to respond again but a knock on by Parkinson gave possession back to the visitors.

With just under fifteen minutes to go Hendy scored their tenth try as Beynon kicked the ball forward and Jake Newman ran on to touch the ball down before Morris added the extras.

The home side did earn a bonus point for their fourth try late on from one of the best moves of the game. Lloyd spotted a gap which he ran into before passing to Parkinson who in turn found Jack Tucker who touched down under the posts. Lloyd then added the extras to make it 28-66.

Tenby face another tough trip on Saturday (Jan 12) as they go to third placed Gowerton knowing they need to start picking up some victories.

Hendy will look for their fourth straight win on Saturday as they host Whitland who are also looking for points to secure their League 1 West place.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Ingledon stars as Laugharne sweep Town aside



LAUGHARNE remain second in Division 3 after they beat Haverfordwest Thirds by 150 runs in Division 3 of the Pembrokeshire League on Saturday (May 18).

The Carmarthenshire-side batted first and made an impressive total of 217-8 from their 45 overs.

James Ingledon was the mainstay of the innings as he top scored with 71 while he was supported by Carl Stephenson who scored 26.

Andrew Edwards added 22 and Kevin Pearce scored 21 as Town struggled to keep them below 200 runs.

Alistair Dyer was the pick of the bowlers for Town with two wickets for the loss of 22 runs.

There was also two wickets for Paul Jenkins (2-45) and Will Phillips (2-45).

Having starred with the bat, Ingledon then did so with the ball as he took five wickets for the loss of only 16 runs.

Carl Smith also took three for the loss of 15 runs as they helped bowl Haverfordwest out for just 67.

Jason Phillips top scored with 18 for Town but it did little to affect the outcome of the game.

The win keeps Laugharne nine points behind leaders Herbrandston who they play in the second round of the Harrison Allen Bowl tonight.

On Saturday (May 25), Laugharne are away to Llanrhian while Haverfordwest Thirds are at home to Narberth Seconds.

Continue Reading


Llanelli secure Premiership status



LLANELLI secured their place in the Principality Premiership for next season on Friday night as they beat Championship winners Pontypool 27-16 in the play off at Aberavon.

Pontypool have only lost one game in three seasons but knew they would need to win to go up at the expense of Llanelli.

They started well but saw a couple of opportunities go begging early on and there was still no score with twenty minutes gone.

Six minutes later Pontypool charged down a kick and were given a penalty after Llanelli were deemed guilty of an offside for which saw yellow.

Pooler then sent the resulting kick through the posts to give them the lead.

Soon after, Shaun Evans had a chance for Llanelli when he ran into the Pooler 22 but after he was halted they went right when they perhaps should have gone the other way and the chance soon went.

Pooler then doubled their lead with another penalty as Llanelli were guilty of a number of infringements in the first half.

However, on the stroke of half time, Llanelli took the lead as they initiated a rolling maul and Taylor Davies went over for the try which was converted by Tom Prydie.

That gave the men in red a 7-6 lead at the break but they knew they would face a strong charge from Pooler in the second half.

Early in the second half, Llanelli looked to increase their lead when Ryan Conbeer went on a snaking run but he was halted just before the line by an excellent try-saving tackle from Lloyd Lewis.

Pooler then took the lead again with a penalty but Prydie answered with a penalty of his own to put Llanelli back in front at 10-9.

Soon after, Llanelli began to take control as they pushed a Pooler scrum backwards, earning a penalty, and Prydie kicked them further ahead.

Two minutes later they had another try as Steff Hughes kicked forward and Conbeer kicked on before falling on the ball in the try area. Prydie then added the extras to make it 20-9 with fifteen minutes to go.

They then scored their third try of the game as Lee Rees broke free after an excellent Callum Evans pass and the on-loan Llandovery player ran on to score. Prydie converted again to complete a great man-of-the-match performance.

With three minutes to go Scott Matthews touched the ball down under the posts and after it was confirmed as a try by the TMO it was converted bringing the score to 27-16.

Llanelli continued to play and thought they had scored late on but Callum Evans was called back after referee Nigel Owens, superb in the middle, spotted a forward pass from Prydie.

It left Pooler with little time to respond and Llanelli saw the game out to seal their place in the Premiership for the 2019-20 season.

Continue Reading


Spotlight on superstars in South Wales



THE next two days around Cardiff will reverberate to the excited strains of a bowls community poised to experience the best of the best, when the first week of a two-week festival of international competition reaches its climax.

Over the five days the 2019 Atlantic Championships – featuring twenty-five bowling nations from the European, African and South American theatres at four host clubs around the Welsh capital – Barry Athletic, Dinas Powys, Penarth Windsor and Penylan – has gone through the qualifying stanza in women’s singles and fours, along with men’s pairs and triples.

In the short term the rewards are medals for excellence at this event, while qualification for next year’s world championships in Australia enjoys equal status.

Tomorrow and Thursday will be the stuff of which adventure heroes are made as many of the game’s greatest players strut their stuff – tomorrow’s elimination finals are at Barry Athletic and Dinas Powys, then the gold medal play-offs at Penylan on Thursday.

Spectators at Penalyn this morning enjoyed a teaser of what to expect when two superstars went at it in the flat green game’s version of a cat fight. It was a women’s singles encounter featuring a former Commonwealth Games gold medalist England’s Natalie Chestney, who won in Dehli in 2010; up against Scotland’s Caroline Brown, who has three world championship gold medals to her credit – the indoor singles at Potters in 2007, World Cup singles at Warilla in 2014 and the 2012 world fours in Adelaide.

The quality of bowls was exceptional as Chestney demonstrated the class that elevated her to the dizziest heights. After scores were level at 9-9 at eleven ends, the England star restricted Brown to just three scoring ends for the rest of the match, winning 21-14.

At major international events sectional top finishers graduate immediately to the semi finals, while the next two best finishers are sent to the elimination rounds.

Tomorrow at Dinas Powys, Scotland takes on England and Kenya plays Zimbabwe in women’s fours at 9.30am, with winners to play South Africa and Wales respectively at Barry Athletic at 2.30. Similarly, Malta plays Ireland along with Jersey against Guernsey in men’s pairs at Dinas Powys at 9.30am, with the winners heading to Barry Athletic in the afternoon to take on the mighty England and Scotland teams in the semi finals at 2.30pm.

Conversely, Barry Athletic will host England against Malta and Jersey versus Namibia in the morning men’s triples, with winners pitted against Scotland and South Africa respectively at Dinas Powys in the afternoon.

The blue ribbon women’s singles at Barry will see Natalie Chestney (England) v Colleen Piketh (South Africa) and Cindy Royet (France) v Ruti Gilor (Israel) at 9.30am – the winners playing Lucy Beere (Guernsey) and Caroline Brown (Scotland) respectively at Dinas Powys in the afternoon.

Continue Reading