Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Man jailed for nine years after ‘violent rampage’

Published

on

A MAN who attacked six people in one evening during a ‘violent rampage’ through the centre of Carmarthen has been jailed for nine years today (Dec 4).

Jamie Robert Steele, aged 23, had been out of jail for a matter of weeks before picking on three students.

Stephen Rees, prosecuting at Swansea Crown Court, said Steele attacked them with his fists and stabbed each one of them with a screwdriver.

One stab punctured Liam Burke’s lung and came within an inch of his heart.

Steele and his co-accused, Joshua Kai Davies, aged 18, then went to the Coracle pub where there was more violence after they were refused drinks.

Steele pushed landlady Elizabeth Rees to the ground, fracturing her wrist, and told her: “I could kill you in a second.”

Then he knocked chef Alan Keith Davies unconscious and stamped on his head as he lay on the ground.

Steele also punched a customer in the face.

Steele admitted grievous bodily harm, wounding with intent, assault and possessing an offencive weapon.

Judge Geraint Walters said Steele had an appalling record for violence and it was only sheer luck that he was not facing a murder charge.

“You have the capacity to kill, I’m in no doubt of that.

“You had been released from prison and a sentence for violence only a month before this drunken, drug-fuelled rampage through the streets of Carmarthen,” he said.

He warned Steele, of no fixed address, he could face a life sentence if he came back before the court for another offence of violence.

Davies, of Park Hall, Carmarthen, admitted two offences of affray.

Judge Walters said he had helped Steele but was guilty only of ‘some pushing and shoving’.

Davies was made the subject of atwo-yearr community order and told to complete 120 hours of unpaid work. He was also placed under a nighttime curfew for the next 12 weeks.

News

Carmarthen: Police appeal following death of 31-year-old Harry Lloyd

Published

on

THE INVESTIGATION is continuing into the death of 31-year-old Harry Lloyd who had suffered serious injuries at Francis Terrace, Carmarthen and later died at hospital.

There is still a police presence at the property and enquiries being made in the local area.

We were called to an incident at an address in Francis Terrace, Carmarthen at around 9.50am on Wednesday, February 20.

Enquiries are on-going to establish the cause of death.

A 28-year-old-woman arrested on suspicion of GBH remains in police custody.

Here’s a tribute from Harry’s family: “We are absolutely devastated by the loss of our son, brother, nephew, cousin and friend.

“Harry was a very popular, beautiful, gentle soul who will be missed.

“Please allow us to grieve this terrible loss in private.”

The police have asked that anyone with information that can help officers with their investigation is asked to report it by phoning 101. If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired text the non-emergency number: 07811 311 908. Use reference: DP-20190220-098

Continue Reading

News

Care home told staff not to speak Welsh

Published

on

THERE is an investigation taking place after it was revealed that a care home had warned members of staff about speaking Welsh.

Isfryn in Ystradgynlais has Approved Headway Provider status and provides rehabilitation and support for individuals with an acquired brain injury. It has been revealed that staff were told that it would be unacceptable if clients heard employees conversing in a language they did not understand. The Accomplish Group, which runs Isfryn, has announced that it was reviewing the issue.

The Welsh Language Commissioner, Meri Huws said: “If two or more people wish to speak or write to each other in Welsh in Wales, they have the freedom to do so, in accordance with the Welsh Language (Wales) Measure 2011.

“If someone, such as an employer, tells them that that they should not continue to use the Welsh language, they are possibly interfering with that freedom. The Welsh Language Measure gives me as Commissioner statutory powers to investigate such cases.

“From the evidence I have seen today, it appears there may be an interference with staff’s freedom to use Welsh at Isfryn, Accomplish. I will be contacting the organisation to gather more information in order to understand the situation fully. I would also like to encourage anyone affected to get in touch with my office to enable us to investigate the matter fully.”

Continue Reading

News

Plans to partially re-open Cwmduad road following landslide

Published

on

CARMARTHENSHIRE County Council’s highways team hopes to partially re-open the A484 at Cwmduad in March, following extensive work to clear and make the area safe after a landslide.

The council has been leading a highly complex operation to clear the highway and stabilise the land since October, when the landslide tragically claimed the life of a young man.

Works are progressing well, and providing things continue to go to plan, the council hopes to re-open a single lane on March 18.

To date, the operation has involved extensive clearance and reinstatement of land off the highway, with the creation of a 10 metre buffer zone; construction of a ramp from the highway to the river, to aid the recovery of lorry that was swept in with the force of the landslide; and clearance of silt from the highway.

Work currently underway includes the construction of highway support and reinstatement of the bank to the east of the highway, as well as highway drainage clearance and reinstatement.

The final stage of works – which will take place alongside the single carriageway opening – will involve rebuilding a parapet wall alongside the highway, before the road can be fully re-opened.

Ruth Mullen, Director of Environment for Carmarthenshire County Council, said: “We are pleased that works have progressed well, and we can now plan for the partial re-opening of the road.

“We are grateful for the support from the community during a prolonged and difficult period. It has been a complex project and we have continued to be mindful of the sensitivities both locally and within the community where one person tragically lost their life.

“Whilst we have worked at pace to enable the highway to be reopened as quickly as possible, the safety of the public has always been our primary focus.”

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK