Connect with us


Seconds earn a draw against Whitchurch



ON Saturday, November 17, Carmarthen Ladies 2XI welcomed Whitchurch Saints 5th’s for their first meeting of the season.

The game started off strong from both sides with Carmarthen eager to get a goal from the start.

Carmarthen midfielders Lili Church and Lucy Davies held the centre well which allowed Carmarthen’s forwards Celyn Thomas, Charlotte Harries, Claire Evans and Ffion Raymond to get some attacking opportunities early on in the game. This put pressure on Saint’s defence as Carmarthen tried to break through their back line.

Carmarthen were awarded for their efforts with a short corner. A sweep from Kate Howell from the side of the ‘D’ was unfortunate to be kicked away by the Saint’s Keeper. This kick found Celyn Thomas on the penalty spot who calmly pushed the ball into the corner of the goal to put the home side into the lead, 1-0.

The half time whistle blew and after an effective team talk from Captain Charlotte Harries, Carmarthen were confident and eager going into the second half.

Carmarthen started with first back which created some excellent play but Whitchurch Saints were eager to get back into the game and started breaking through Carmarthen’s defence. Carmarthen’s defence held strong with Siriol Richards, Marianne Spratt, Elinor Routley and Leia Thomas working hard to keep the ball away from keeper Janine Owen.

Owen displayed some excellent saves but with the persistent attacking efforts in Carmarthen’s ‘D’ by the Saints, Carmarthen were unfortunate to concede a goal, 1-1.

Both teams could see that this was a close game now and pushed themselves to the limit to try and get back into the lead. Carmarthen used their young team well by connecting together and moving the ball up the pitch as a unit.

Wingbacks Sioned Raymond, Kate Howell and Caitlin Marshall worked effortlessly together to transfer the ball up from the defence to the forwards making some promising play.

Carmarthen started to tire which allowed Saints to make some breaks attacking up the pitch. Leia Thomas highlighted her ability in defence when making some goal saving tackles to clear the ball away from Carmarthen’s ‘D’. Carmarthen continued to defend hard but were unfortunate when Saints managed to slip the ball in to put them in the lead for the first time in the game, 2-1.

This gave Carmarthen the push they needed as they knew they didn’t have a lot of time to get back into the game. Carmarthen pushed hard in the last part of the game with Raymond, Davies and Church getting the ball from the centre to the wings which saw some close calls in Saint’s ‘D’.

With the last play of the game, Carmarthen’s heads were held high which showed their team spirit. A ball from Richards to Raymond found Celyn Thomas on the p spot who pushed it passed the goalie with ease, making the final score 2-2 in the last few seconds of the game.

Sioned Raymond was awarded man of the match from both team for her effective attacking and defending play throughout the match. Ffion Raymond was also praised for her excellent play in her 2nd’s debut.

Carmarthen 2XI will train hard this week before their upcoming away game to Whitchurch Saints 6th’s this Saturday (Nov 24).

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Ingledon stars as Laugharne sweep Town aside



LAUGHARNE remain second in Division 3 after they beat Haverfordwest Thirds by 150 runs in Division 3 of the Pembrokeshire League on Saturday (May 18).

The Carmarthenshire-side batted first and made an impressive total of 217-8 from their 45 overs.

James Ingledon was the mainstay of the innings as he top scored with 71 while he was supported by Carl Stephenson who scored 26.

Andrew Edwards added 22 and Kevin Pearce scored 21 as Town struggled to keep them below 200 runs.

Alistair Dyer was the pick of the bowlers for Town with two wickets for the loss of 22 runs.

There was also two wickets for Paul Jenkins (2-45) and Will Phillips (2-45).

Having starred with the bat, Ingledon then did so with the ball as he took five wickets for the loss of only 16 runs.

Carl Smith also took three for the loss of 15 runs as they helped bowl Haverfordwest out for just 67.

Jason Phillips top scored with 18 for Town but it did little to affect the outcome of the game.

The win keeps Laugharne nine points behind leaders Herbrandston who they play in the second round of the Harrison Allen Bowl tonight.

On Saturday (May 25), Laugharne are away to Llanrhian while Haverfordwest Thirds are at home to Narberth Seconds.

Continue Reading


Llanelli secure Premiership status



LLANELLI secured their place in the Principality Premiership for next season on Friday night as they beat Championship winners Pontypool 27-16 in the play off at Aberavon.

Pontypool have only lost one game in three seasons but knew they would need to win to go up at the expense of Llanelli.

They started well but saw a couple of opportunities go begging early on and there was still no score with twenty minutes gone.

Six minutes later Pontypool charged down a kick and were given a penalty after Llanelli were deemed guilty of an offside for which saw yellow.

Pooler then sent the resulting kick through the posts to give them the lead.

Soon after, Shaun Evans had a chance for Llanelli when he ran into the Pooler 22 but after he was halted they went right when they perhaps should have gone the other way and the chance soon went.

Pooler then doubled their lead with another penalty as Llanelli were guilty of a number of infringements in the first half.

However, on the stroke of half time, Llanelli took the lead as they initiated a rolling maul and Taylor Davies went over for the try which was converted by Tom Prydie.

That gave the men in red a 7-6 lead at the break but they knew they would face a strong charge from Pooler in the second half.

Early in the second half, Llanelli looked to increase their lead when Ryan Conbeer went on a snaking run but he was halted just before the line by an excellent try-saving tackle from Lloyd Lewis.

Pooler then took the lead again with a penalty but Prydie answered with a penalty of his own to put Llanelli back in front at 10-9.

Soon after, Llanelli began to take control as they pushed a Pooler scrum backwards, earning a penalty, and Prydie kicked them further ahead.

Two minutes later they had another try as Steff Hughes kicked forward and Conbeer kicked on before falling on the ball in the try area. Prydie then added the extras to make it 20-9 with fifteen minutes to go.

They then scored their third try of the game as Lee Rees broke free after an excellent Callum Evans pass and the on-loan Llandovery player ran on to score. Prydie converted again to complete a great man-of-the-match performance.

With three minutes to go Scott Matthews touched the ball down under the posts and after it was confirmed as a try by the TMO it was converted bringing the score to 27-16.

Llanelli continued to play and thought they had scored late on but Callum Evans was called back after referee Nigel Owens, superb in the middle, spotted a forward pass from Prydie.

It left Pooler with little time to respond and Llanelli saw the game out to seal their place in the Premiership for the 2019-20 season.

Continue Reading


Spotlight on superstars in South Wales



THE next two days around Cardiff will reverberate to the excited strains of a bowls community poised to experience the best of the best, when the first week of a two-week festival of international competition reaches its climax.

Over the five days the 2019 Atlantic Championships – featuring twenty-five bowling nations from the European, African and South American theatres at four host clubs around the Welsh capital – Barry Athletic, Dinas Powys, Penarth Windsor and Penylan – has gone through the qualifying stanza in women’s singles and fours, along with men’s pairs and triples.

In the short term the rewards are medals for excellence at this event, while qualification for next year’s world championships in Australia enjoys equal status.

Tomorrow and Thursday will be the stuff of which adventure heroes are made as many of the game’s greatest players strut their stuff – tomorrow’s elimination finals are at Barry Athletic and Dinas Powys, then the gold medal play-offs at Penylan on Thursday.

Spectators at Penalyn this morning enjoyed a teaser of what to expect when two superstars went at it in the flat green game’s version of a cat fight. It was a women’s singles encounter featuring a former Commonwealth Games gold medalist England’s Natalie Chestney, who won in Dehli in 2010; up against Scotland’s Caroline Brown, who has three world championship gold medals to her credit – the indoor singles at Potters in 2007, World Cup singles at Warilla in 2014 and the 2012 world fours in Adelaide.

The quality of bowls was exceptional as Chestney demonstrated the class that elevated her to the dizziest heights. After scores were level at 9-9 at eleven ends, the England star restricted Brown to just three scoring ends for the rest of the match, winning 21-14.

At major international events sectional top finishers graduate immediately to the semi finals, while the next two best finishers are sent to the elimination rounds.

Tomorrow at Dinas Powys, Scotland takes on England and Kenya plays Zimbabwe in women’s fours at 9.30am, with winners to play South Africa and Wales respectively at Barry Athletic at 2.30. Similarly, Malta plays Ireland along with Jersey against Guernsey in men’s pairs at Dinas Powys at 9.30am, with the winners heading to Barry Athletic in the afternoon to take on the mighty England and Scotland teams in the semi finals at 2.30pm.

Conversely, Barry Athletic will host England against Malta and Jersey versus Namibia in the morning men’s triples, with winners pitted against Scotland and South Africa respectively at Dinas Powys in the afternoon.

The blue ribbon women’s singles at Barry will see Natalie Chestney (England) v Colleen Piketh (South Africa) and Cindy Royet (France) v Ruti Gilor (Israel) at 9.30am – the winners playing Lucy Beere (Guernsey) and Caroline Brown (Scotland) respectively at Dinas Powys in the afternoon.

Continue Reading