Connect with us


Eight-try Scarlets blow Kings away



SCARLETS ran in eight tries on Saturday (Sept 29) as they beat Southern Kings 54-14 in round five of the Guinness Pro14.

Centre Jonathan Davies made his first competitive appearance in nearly a year and he went on to put in a man of the match performance, leading from the front with two tries.

With nine minutes on the clock Scarlets went on the attack and Rhys Patchell spotted a gap in Kings’ defence in midfield to loop a pass back out to the left to Asquith who attacked the line before getting the ball back to Jonathan Davies who went over for the try. Patchell added the conversion.

Five minutes later the Scarlets went back on the attack and a line out throw from Ryan Elias was won safely and the ball moved inside. Captain Davies is there in support once again, Hidalgo-Clyne gets out to Asquith and he fends off a second row on the way to the try line. The conversion was added by Patchell for a 14-0 lead following an excellent start.

Photo by Darren Harries

The Kings looked to get themselves back in the game and from a line out they worked the ball to winger Bjorn Basson in the far corner who touched down. The conversion was added by fullback Masixole Banda.

The action was end-to-end and the Scarlets soon added their third try and a neat pass from a scrum found Jonathan Davies who had enough time to get himself under the posts for his second try. Patchell then added the extras.

The first half try scoring wasn’t finished there as the Kings pulled another one back when Basson touched down for his second try before Banda added the extras.

With the score 21-14 at half time the Kings were very much in the game but the Scarlets had other ideas as they came out for the second half.

Davies got the Scarlets going with a surging run before passing to Ioan Nicholas who was able to touch the ball down despite being tackled and Patchell made no mistake once again.

They went in search of another try but the Kings were able to win the ball back and went on the attack themselves before a chipped passed went out of play.

Scarlets again came forward but play was brought back for a penalty and Patchell sent a kick into the corner. From the line out the men in Red drove over with Dan Davies claiming the try and Patchell kept up his 100% record with the conversion to make it 35-14.

Wayne Pivac then made several changes with Steff Evans, Uzair Cassiem, Marc Jones and Simon Gardiner, Angus O’Brien and Tom Price on for Johnny McNicholl, Blade Thomson, Ryan Elias, Werner Kruger, Rhys Patchell and Jake Ball.

O’Brien was straight into the action as he took the home side to the corner and from the line out the ball was played to Simon Gardiner who ran through the Kings defence like a battering ram to score Scarlets’ sixth try. O’Brien took over kicking duties but missed the conversion.

Photo by Darren Harries

Time was running out but the Scarlets again came forward and this time it was Steff Evans, who has played for the Scarlets A in the Celtic Cup in the last three weeks, who went over for another excellent try. O’Brien then added the extras.

There was still time for one more score and it was replacement scrum half Kieran Hardy who got the score for his side as the clock hit 80 with O’Brien once again adding the conversion.

It was an excellent 54-14 win for the Scarlets who showed plenty of attacking flair which will see them go into Saturday’s (Oct 6) clash with rivals Ospreys in a confident mood.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Points deduction for Old Gold



CARMARTHEN Town have been deducted three points and fined £250 for fielding an ineligible player in their 2-0 win over Llanelli Town on New Years Day.

An FAW Disciplinary Panel met last week to hear the charge against Carmarthen Town AFC after Dave Vincent, who should have been suspended for the game on January 1, played in that match.

Vincent should have served a one match suspension from December 28, 2018 for accumulating five cautions.

A spokesperson for the FAW said: “Carmarthen were charged with a Disciplinary Offence as set out under FAW Rule 38.1.2, for the alleged breach of Rule 18 of the JD Welsh Premier League Rules 2018/19 for playing an ineligible player.

“The Panel found the charge against Carmarthen to be proven, and as a result the club will be deducted three points from their League playing record, and fined £250.

“Carmarthen have until the close of business on February 18, 2019 to lodge an appeal against this decision.”

The three-point deduction means that Carmarthen would be eight points off the bottom two and it would also harm their chances of finishing at the top of the Welsh Premiership Conference.

Carmarthen Town have been asked for a comment on the matter.

Continue Reading


Young Borderers progress in Mike Fry Cup



WHITLAND Youth held off a spirited fightback from Milford Haven on Saturday (Feb 9) as they won 14-15 on the 3G surface at The Obs to progress to the semi-finals of the Mike Fry Under 17 Cup.

Owen Palmer, Iolo Rees and Brandon Williams all scored unconverted tries for Whitland as they moved into a 7-15 lead.

Harry Charnley had scored Milford’s earlier try and as the second half wore on they looked to get themselves back into the game.

A surging run set up Joel Yeomans to dive over near the posts and the conversion brought them to within one point of the junior Borderers.

Whitland looked to seal their progress and went looking for a fourth try but lost the ball in contact near the line.

Milford came forward but a wayward lineout prevented any further progress.

The home side won the ball back but Whitland turned the ball over as time ran out and they kicked the ball out of play to seal their passage to the next round.

The young Borderers will now look forward to their semi-final tie which takes place on Saturday, February 23.

Elsewhere, Tenby went through with a 12-3 win over Pembroke and Crymych beat Aberystwyth 25-10.

The game between Fishguard and Neyland was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch and is due to be played on Sunday (Feb 17).

The final will be played on March 16 at Tenby.

Continue Reading


Youthful Blacks stun Bont



BURRY Port travelled to Bont with an impressive eight youth players in their ranks, 5 of whom started the match and two making their senior debuts.

The selection had raised a few eyebrows in the week but the coaching staff fully believed the Youth players had earned their place and were excited to see how they went against a good Division 2 team.

The first half was a scrappy affair with both teams trying to play rugby but failing to hold on to possession at crucial times, the referee was happy for both teams to play and controlled the game very well.

The stalemate was not broken until the 30th minute when a break up field by the home backs got them into the Burry Port 22 and after a couple of quick phases they managed to power over out wide to lead 5-0.

As the half time approached Burry Port were camped on the home team’s try line, twice being held up over the line and after refusing a couple of easy shots at goal searching for a try would have been disappointed to come up short and go into half time 5 nil down.

In the second half, now playing into the wind, Burry Port upped the tempo and got their ball carriers into the game more. They simplified the attack and they got the rewards, Captain Andy Francis got the first try, running hard and straight through his opposite number to finish under the posts to take a 7-5 lead.

Photo by Darren Harries

Burry Port now had their tails up and Bont were struggling to cope with the direct running of the Blacks ball carrying. A second try came after good approach play and a wonderful finish through live wire hooker Taran Galbraith to extend the lead to 12-5.

Bont knew they needed the next score but with the Burry Port defence dominating the contact area they failed to get any decent attacks going and from a turnover in mid field and some good hands saw flying wing Tom Davies cross in the corner to make it 17-5.

Burry Port brought on youngster Keelan Jewell at loose head to make it an all 18 year old front row and, with the addition of another two youth replacements Kingsley Powell and debutant Theo Barnes-Watson as well as scrum half Ben Williams, who all brought plenty of energy onto the field against a tiring home defence, meant the next try wasn’t long coming.

Centre Duane Evans found a gap and a lovely inside ball to supporting full back Adam Davies who dived over the line for the bonus point try.

Another try quickly followed as a 5m lineout attack from Burry Port was initially defended well but with Burry Port keeping the ball, replacement Powell barged over the line.

The game was won but Burry Port had one more score in them, with Adam Davies dancing around a few tired defenders to again cross under the posts to put the icing on a well-deserved victory for Burry Port.

Burry Port are next in action on Saturday (Feb 16) when they welcome St Clears to the Memorial Park, 2:30pm kick off.

Continue Reading