Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

17-year-old sentenced to 15 year minimum term after brutal axe and sword murder

Published

on

A 17-YEAR-OLD teenager has been sentenced to a minimum of 15 years in prison today (Sept 14) after murdering his stepmother with an axe and samurai sword in March.

Reuben Braighwaite murdered his stepmother, 54-year-old Fiona Scourfield, at Broadmoor Farm in Laugharne.

Judge Simon Picken at Swansea Crown Court described the murder as a ‘savage attack against a defenceless woman’.

In the court today it was said that Braithwaite came home to Broadmoor Farm on what was a ‘normal’ school day. Later that evening he attacked Ms Scourfield outside of the home after luring her out with an axe, repeatedly striking her over the head.

Continuing the brutal attack he then slit her throat with a samurai which was stored underneath his father’s bed.

He then called police and confessed to the murder, saying he was ‘fed up with life’ and thought killing Ms Scourfield was a ‘way out’.

He was 16 at the time of the attack.

Suzanne Syers, who worked with at the same charity as Ms Scourfield, said following the news of her murder: “Today is an extremely sad day for UK-GSR.

“In the most awful circumstances, last night, Fiona Scourfield, aka Suzi Wales, was killed.

“To say the rescue is devastated would be a massive understatement.  Suzi was one of our longest standing members who supported the rescue wholeheartedly.

“Her UK-GSR dog Bruno was her absolute world.

“Suzi worked tirelessly to make the world a better place for animals & her loss is a huge loss not only to us but to animals worldwide.

“She spent many weekends braving all kinds of weathers fundraising & raising awareness in the South Wales area, and could always be relied upon to help any dog in need.

“We are all in shock at the moment, so please bare with us whilst we come to terms with our devastating loss.”

News

Man who breached restraining order three times jailed

Published

on

A CARMARTHEN man who breached a restraining order three times within a month has been jailed.

Gary Rees, aged 47, admitted approaching a woman on December 27 and was jailed for 20 weeks.

Judge Paul Thomas told Rees, of Llys Picton, it was time for him to grow up and act his age.

Ian Ibrahim, prosecuting, told Swansea Crown Court that in November Rees was convicted of battery previously against the woman.

Magistrates issued a restraining order banning Rees from contacting her.

But on December 8 he breached the order and was fined, and five days later he did it again and received a suspended prison sentence of eight weeks.

On December 27 he again went to her home.

Mr Ibrahim said the woman opened the door to put out some rubbish and was startled to find Rees standing there.

She knew he was drunk and told him to leave but he pushed his way in and sat on a settee.

She then called the police and Rees was arrested and held in custody.

Judge Thomas told Rees that court orders had to be abided by.

Continue Reading

News

Cold temperatures likely to lead to icy conditions

Published

on

A YELLOW weather warning is in place over Wales from 10pm tonight (Jan 16) and 11am tomorrow morning (Jan 17).

As temperatures drop, there is a strong chance of ice patches causing dangerous conditions for motorists.

Icy patches developing with wintry showers also affecting some areas.

What to expect

  • Some injuries from slips and falls on icy surfaces
  • Probably some ice on some untreated roads, pavements and cycle paths
Continue Reading

News

Next stage of works to clear Cwmduad landslide

Published

on

PHASE two of the works to stabilise a landslide in Cwmduad has begun following the recovery of a lorry from the river below.

Carmarthenshire County Council is leading the operation to clear the site and re-open the A484 for traffic travelling between Carmarthen and Newcastle Emlyn, following the landslide in October.

Phase one, which commenced before Christmas, created a safe zone for the recovery of a lorry that was swept in to the river during the storm.

That recovery took place earlier today (Monday, January 14, 2019).

Phase two, to permanently stabilise the embankment, involves complex drainage and geotechnical works.

The highway structure will then be assessed before any indication can be given as to when the road will re-open.

The council has thanked the community, and affected commuters, for their patience whilst site assessments and works have been underway.

Ruth Mullen, Director of Environment for Carmarthenshire County Council, said: “We are now making progress in what has been a highly complex operation and legal process between the council, partner agencies and the landowner.

“We fully appreciate the impact this has had on the community, and we wish to reiterate that we have worked without delay to undertake site investigations in the immediate aftermath of the landslide, along with clearance and construction works to make the area safe.

“We are working as quickly as we can to re-open the road as soon as possible, and would like to thank those affected most sincerely for their patience.”

Until the road is re-opened, traffic will continue to be diverted along the B4333 Carmarthen – Newcastle Emlyn.

Additional bus services remain in place:

  • A shuttle service currently runs from Cwmduad to Tycoch to catch the 460 service at 7.25am, 9.35am and 10.55am. Return journeys are at 2.25pm and 4.45pm.
  • The 460 service is currently operating on a diversion route
Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK