Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Parents warned after paedophile jailed

Published

on

A JUDGE has begged parents to check their daughters’ internet activity after hearing how an Ammanford paedophile persuaded teenage girls to send him naked photographs of themselves.

Thomas William Cannon, aged 32, even talked one into performing a sex act on herself and filming herself for him.

Judge Geraint Walters told Swansea crown court, “This is a lesson for all of us.

“Parents’ obligations include keeping an eye on their internet activity.
“It is not a bad thing if they take an interest in what their children are doing on the internet.”

He was speaking after hearing how Cannon carried on offending despite being cornered in a car park by vigilantes.

Cannon, of Parklands. was jailed for five years for a string of sex offences against underage girls.

Robin Rouch, prosecuting, told the court how Cannon joined an internet chat room and connected with a “Laura, aged 15.”

“Laura” was a decoy invented by a group of paedophile hunters, but Cannon exchanged more than 2,000 messages with “her,” many of them sexual.

Cannon sent “Laura” photographs of his penis and eventually arranged to meet her at the McDonald’s in Cross Hands, intending or hoping, said Mr Rouch, to have sexual intercourse with her.

He was pounced upon by vigilantes.

Mr Rouch said Cannon was arrested for attempting to entice an underage girl to engage in sexual activity. Police removed a computer from his home and discovered he had downloaded indecent images of children.

Despite not being scared when the police came knocking‘, Cannon set about a second series of offences.

Mr Rouch said he joined a different chat room, posted a story of a sexual nature and waited to see who responded.

Then he filtered out the girls aged 14 and 15–this time real people–and began messaging five of them.

He managed to persuade a 14-year-old girl to send him photographs of her private parts and to insert a foreign object into her vagina.

Judge Geraint Walters said that would hit her, and hit her hard when she was older.

Judge Walters, one of the most senior judges in Swansea, said in his experience the regret and shame later felt by a female who behaved like that when a teenager could be life-changing.

Cannon admitted a total of 13 offences, all of them sexual and involving underage girls.

Defence barrister James Hartson said Cannon had been blisteringly frank with the police and recognised that he needed help.

Judge Walters issued a Sexual Harm Prevention Order, restricting his access to young girls and the internet, and told him to register with the police as a sex offender, both orders to run indefinitely.

The confrontation with the paedophile hunters should have scared him senseless but instead he carried on offending regardless.

News

Police report finds no ‘major shortcomings’ in use of force

Published

on

DYFED-POWYS POLICE and Crime Commissioner, Dafydd Llywelyn, has conducted a review of police officers’ use of force, and is assured that there are no major shortcomings.

The full report on the review of the use of force will be shared with local Police and Crime Panel members at their public meeting today (Nov 16).

This scrutiny review signifies a new, enhanced approach to the Commissioner’s continued commitment to holding the Force to account, for the delivery of an efficient and effective police service for the residents of Dyfed-Powys.

Sparked by national requirements to improve transparency around officers’ conduct, recent controversy around the introduction of spit and bite guards, and feedback from the inspectorate, the review involved consultation with the public, officers and staff, independent scrutiny of incident footage and a detailed review of available data.

Police and Crime Commissioner, Dafydd Llywelyn said: “I have been encouraged by the Force’s response to my office undertaking this work, and thank all those who contributed honestly and thoroughly to the review. I would also like to thank the members of the public who were willing to share their views with us, through my online survey and in person at the various events my team and I have attended over the summer months.”

Whilst the review found no significant concern to suggest that force is being used inappropriately by officers, it was identified that under-recording and limitations in the current systems require some improvement.

A series of recommendations have been accepted by the Chief Constable, Mark Collins, who has detailed the Force’s planned course of action in a formal response to the Commissioner.

The Commissioner’s office will use this action plan to review the Force’s progress over the coming months.

Superintendent Craig Templeton, Head of Operations, said: “We welcome this scrutiny by the Police and Crime Commissioner and accept there are improvements to be made. Work has already started to address the recommendations, including changes to the Use of Force recording system and introducing Body Worn Video, to make scrutiny easier. We are confident force is used legitimately in Dyfed-Powys Police and will continue working towards achieving accurate recording.”

The Commissioner is committed to continuing this approach and will be looking for the public to get involved in future engagements and consultations, details of which will be available on the Commissioner’s website, or through contact with the office.

Continue Reading

News

Tributes paid to woman following Lampeter death

Published

on

TRIBUTES have been paid to a woman who died after she was assaulted in a town centre on Thursday (Nov 8).

The woman was taken to hospital with serious injuries following the attack in the Bridge Street area of Lampeter, Ceredigion. The incident happened at approximately 6pm.

Dyfed-Powys Police have formally identified her 39-year-oldold Katarzyna Elzbieta Paszek.

Her family said in a tribute: “As a family we are distraught by our loss of Katarzyna who was 39 and from Lampeter area.  She was a loving mother, daughter, sister and aunt and was loved by so many.

“We would now like time to grieve and would ask to be given privacy in which to do so.”

Two of the four men who were originally arrested in connection with the assault have been released with no further action.

A 40-year-old man remains in custody and a 27-year-old man has been released on bail.

Det Ch Insp Anthony Evans said: “This is now a murder enquiry and I am appealing to anyone with information that could help the investigation, no matter how insignificant you may feel it is, please get in touch.

“I would like to reassure the public that we are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident.”
H.M Coroner has been informed, the police have confirmed.

Four men from the Lampeter area were arrested in connection with the incident.

A 40-year-old man remains in police custody. A 27-year-old man has been released on police bail.

A 31-year-old man has been released with no further action, and a 37-year-old man has been released with no further action.

The police said that anyone with information that can help officers with their investigation is asked to report it by calling 101. If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908.

Continue Reading

News

Three teenagers accused of ‘trashing’ caravan park

Published

on

THREE teenagers appeared at Swansea Crown Court this week accused of ‘trashing’ a caravan complex in Llandeilo.

Maximilliam Langford, aged 19, Daniel Sieuw, 18, and James Wright, 19, were before Judge Keith Thomas for a plea and trial preparation hearing.

Paul Hobson, prosecuting, said it was his case that the three had been involved in a joint enterprise to wreck caravans and other buildings, some of them used as dwellings.

Langford, of Heol y Garreg Las, Llandeilo, admitted burgling a log cabin and four caravans at Taylors Wood, Gwynfe Road, on May 2 last year.

He also admitted damaging a 4×4 vehicle belonging to Roy Taylor and a ‘military style vehicle’, also belonging to Mr Taylor.

Langford denied setting fire to a caravan owned by Lawrence Good and a caravan owned by Barry John Smith.

Wright, of Rhydfro, Llangadog, denied the burglaries and the charges of criminal damage but admitted the two charges of arson.

Sieuw, of Bryngwyn, Llandeilo, denied all nine charges.

Mr Hobson said the prosecution would proceed against the defendants on all the outstanding charges.

Judge Thomas laid down January 29 as the start date of a three-day trial.

All three were granted bail meanwhile.

Continue Reading

Trending

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK