Connect with us


Ammanford man transported to Thailand after sepsis fight



A BACKPACKER from Ammanford that had been stranded in Cambodia after getting sepsis through a mosquito bite has now been moved to a Thai hospital.

Having been in Cambodia for two months, Calvin Hill, 27, was flown to Thailand on Sunday (Jul 8) in a medic plane, where he is estimated to spend another month.

His family have spent £8,000 travelling back and forth since May. Mr Hill has been previously been declared fit to fly by hospital staff after coming out of a coma, however his insurer, Flexicover, said they did not want him to travel for fears of him being put at ‘unnecessary risk’.

Talking to the BBC, Mr Hill’s mother, Tracey, said that he was found in his hotel room ‘not breathing properly’.

He then collapsed after ‘feeling groggy’ following mosquito bites.

She said: “He was on life support. On three different occasions, we were told he wouldn’t make it, and that his liver, kidneys and lungs were failing.”

However, after two weeks in a coma, Mr Hill woke up and soon made good progress, being able to move his limbs and talk. Despite this, Mr Hill is now half his original weight and has a hole in his foot.

Mrs Hill said: “It was a miracle. I’m not a religious person, but these things do really happen.”

Flexicover later agreed to pay for his treatment and fly him to Thailand, before a 14-hour flight to the UK.

His mother added: “They are saying he’s too unwell to bring home, but he’s never going to get better until he comes home.

“It’s such a simple thing to be bitten by a mosquito, but life has changed for us – Calvin will never be the same person.”

A spokesman for the insurance company said: “We appreciate that Mr Hill’s friends and family are keen for his return to the UK which we will fully support at a time that is medically appropriate.

“We never put our customers in situations which could lead to unnecessary risk.”


Carmarthen: Police appeal following death of 31-year-old Harry Lloyd



THE INVESTIGATION is continuing into the death of 31-year-old Harry Lloyd who had suffered serious injuries at Francis Terrace, Carmarthen and later died at hospital.

There is still a police presence at the property and enquiries being made in the local area.

We were called to an incident at an address in Francis Terrace, Carmarthen at around 9.50am on Wednesday, February 20.

Enquiries are on-going to establish the cause of death.

A 28-year-old-woman arrested on suspicion of GBH remains in police custody.

Here’s a tribute from Harry’s family: “We are absolutely devastated by the loss of our son, brother, nephew, cousin and friend.

“Harry was a very popular, beautiful, gentle soul who will be missed.

“Please allow us to grieve this terrible loss in private.”

The police have asked that anyone with information that can help officers with their investigation is asked to report it by phoning 101. If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired text the non-emergency number: 07811 311 908. Use reference: DP-20190220-098

Continue Reading


Care home told staff not to speak Welsh



THERE is an investigation taking place after it was revealed that a care home had warned members of staff about speaking Welsh.

Isfryn in Ystradgynlais has Approved Headway Provider status and provides rehabilitation and support for individuals with an acquired brain injury. It has been revealed that staff were told that it would be unacceptable if clients heard employees conversing in a language they did not understand. The Accomplish Group, which runs Isfryn, has announced that it was reviewing the issue.

The Welsh Language Commissioner, Meri Huws said: “If two or more people wish to speak or write to each other in Welsh in Wales, they have the freedom to do so, in accordance with the Welsh Language (Wales) Measure 2011.

“If someone, such as an employer, tells them that that they should not continue to use the Welsh language, they are possibly interfering with that freedom. The Welsh Language Measure gives me as Commissioner statutory powers to investigate such cases.

“From the evidence I have seen today, it appears there may be an interference with staff’s freedom to use Welsh at Isfryn, Accomplish. I will be contacting the organisation to gather more information in order to understand the situation fully. I would also like to encourage anyone affected to get in touch with my office to enable us to investigate the matter fully.”

Continue Reading


Plans to partially re-open Cwmduad road following landslide



CARMARTHENSHIRE County Council’s highways team hopes to partially re-open the A484 at Cwmduad in March, following extensive work to clear and make the area safe after a landslide.

The council has been leading a highly complex operation to clear the highway and stabilise the land since October, when the landslide tragically claimed the life of a young man.

Works are progressing well, and providing things continue to go to plan, the council hopes to re-open a single lane on March 18.

To date, the operation has involved extensive clearance and reinstatement of land off the highway, with the creation of a 10 metre buffer zone; construction of a ramp from the highway to the river, to aid the recovery of lorry that was swept in with the force of the landslide; and clearance of silt from the highway.

Work currently underway includes the construction of highway support and reinstatement of the bank to the east of the highway, as well as highway drainage clearance and reinstatement.

The final stage of works – which will take place alongside the single carriageway opening – will involve rebuilding a parapet wall alongside the highway, before the road can be fully re-opened.

Ruth Mullen, Director of Environment for Carmarthenshire County Council, said: “We are pleased that works have progressed well, and we can now plan for the partial re-opening of the road.

“We are grateful for the support from the community during a prolonged and difficult period. It has been a complex project and we have continued to be mindful of the sensitivities both locally and within the community where one person tragically lost their life.

“Whilst we have worked at pace to enable the highway to be reopened as quickly as possible, the safety of the public has always been our primary focus.”

Continue Reading