Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Motorhome situation ‘can’t go on’

Published

on

CONCERNS have been raised about the lack of facilities and administration for camper vans at what appears to be a semi-official overnight car park in Burry Port.

The East Car Park at the harbour was home to around 50 motorhomes and camper vans during the recent hot weekend. Traditionally, overnight parking was permitted on the site and monitored by Carmarthenshire County Council, which charged a small fee.

However, this summer there has been no charge to use the east car park, and the number staying overnight or longer at the site has boomed. This has coincided with a reduction in space as a result of building works on the new RNLI building.

Recently, a vehicle which parked obstructing the lifeboat’s low tide launching point had to be towed away by police.
It is unclear who is currently in charge of the site, but while operational control of the harbour was passed to marina specialists the Marine Group earlier this year the contact details advertised on the Camper Contact website are those of CCC’s Parking Services.

Several campers said that they would be willing to pay to park at the site, which boasts stunning views across the Loughor estuary, and cars parking in other parts of the harbour are still charged.

Recent concerns have been raised about the number of toilet facilities available in the harbour. Guidelines recommend that for 30 camping pitches, one toilet and urinal for men and two toilets for women should be provided.

One of the two toilets on the east side of the harbour was out of order for part of the weekend and these also serve the harbour’s many other visitors. This situation was exacerbated by the enforced closure of the toilets on the lighthouse side as a result of vandalism.

Burry Port’s Deputy Mayor Cllr Lisa Mitchell said that ‘as a Town Councillor I have been informed by our local Burry Port County Councillors that this matter is being dealt with by the County Council’.

“I am hopeful that action will be announced shortly,” she added.

Burry Port county councilor John James told The Herald that the current parking situation could not continue.

“The Harbour area is currently in a transitional period with the Marine Group entering into a lease agreement with Carmarthenshire County Council on maintaining the Harbour,” he explained.

“The Harbour Masterplan, which was presented to the public last April in the Memorial Hall and was well received, consists of different initiatives such as housing, leisure, an hotel and pub. Cllr. Amanda Fox and I, after speaking to local residents, have approached the County Council about having a Water Sports Centre located here as well as looking at land near the Skateboard Area and adapting it to cater for Camper Vans and adding essentials such showering and clothes washing facilities, with a proper booking in system.

“The current situation with the Camper Vans cannot go on, with local residents finding it difficult to find parking spaces and due to the recent issue that led to an obstruction to the Lifeboat Crew that had been called out for duty.

“The toilets are being looked at as to how we can improve this much-needed facility. Unfortunately, the toilets on the Lighthouse side have been subjected to mindless acts of vandalism which has culminated in serious damage being carried out, which meant they had to be closed and are currently in a state of repair but will be reopened.

“The planned State of the Art Playground is going through the Planning Process. This Playground will cater for children of all ages, including teenagers, and will have equipment that can be used for children with disabilities, and will be located at the grassed area opposite to Parsons Pickles.”

Continue Reading
3 Comments

3 Comments

  1. Alan Thomas

    June 29, 2018 at 10:15 am

    Most campervans have their own toilets, (mine does.) What would be needed would be a fresh water supply tap, and a waste disposal.

  2. Samantha

    June 29, 2018 at 1:23 pm

    Fishermen have used this for years to store their boat trailers & vehicles whilst trying to earn an actual living…. there’s nowhere for them to park now with all these there….. yes it’s nice seeing people enjoying themselves but something needs to be done with regards to the local fishermen having somewhere to keep their vehicles safely! The slip way always has cars parked on it whistl they try to launch or come in.

  3. Harrison

    June 30, 2018 at 5:22 pm

    It’s my understanding that the Marine Group are nothing to do with the car parks, they’re purely managing the marina. If you ring the marina office, it says so on the answer phone message. It’s pretty clear that CCC run the car parks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Pembroke Dock: Indian restaurant owner sexually assaulted teenager

Published

on

THE OWNER of a Pembroke Dock restaurant who sexually assaulted the same girl three times has been made the subject of a suspended prison sentence.

Riaz Miah, aged 42, had been found guilty after a trial of three indecent assaults all committed on the same day.
Judge Paul Thomas told Miah he should feel disgusted and ashamed of himself.
Miah, of St Marks Close, Merlin’s Bridge, was jailed for 12 months, suspended for two years, and ordered to complete 15 sessions of a rehabilitation activity. He was also ordered to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work for the community.
Miah was also made the subject of a sexual harm prevention order and must register with the police as a sex offender, both for 10 years.
Swansea Crown Court heard how he had kissed the 17 year old, licked her face and touched her breast and bottom.
His barrister, Carina Hughes, told the court his business had failed in January because of financial problems.
The victim wrote in an impact statement she was still too afraid to out alone in Pembroke Dock for fear of bumping into Miah. She still suffered nightmares and sometimes woke in floods of tears.
Judge Thomas told Miah, a married father of two, his behaviour had been disgraceful and he found it disappointing that he still denied the offending despite the verdicts of the jury.
“She was disgusted and repelled by what you did. She was affected psychologically and has suffered a loss of confidence. You richly deserve a prison sentence,” he added.
Continue Reading

News

Carmarthenshire man admits stirring up racial hatred against Muslims

Published

on

A BRYNAMMAN man has this morning admitted 10 offences of stirring up religious hatred against Muslims by posting offensive messages on an Internet website.
Jonathan Damian Jennings, aged 34, admitted urging people to murder Muslims during a series of rants on the GAB site and boasting he would be first in line to “Jo Cox” Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn should he ever become prime minister.
Jennings, of Heol y Gelynen, appeared before Judge Keith Thomas at Swansea Crown Court via a video link with Swansea prison where he is being held in custody on July 20.
During a plea and trial preparation hearing Jennings admitted posting messages saying it would be “a good idea” if there was a burn a mosque day and Muslims were placed on top of bonfires, that Hitler had been born 100 years too early and Muslims should be gassed and that they should be killed on sight.
Jennings also admitted advocating that EU remain campaigner Gina Miller should be hunted down and killed and in another message warning Jews that if they did not behave they would “get the same treatment as Muslims.”
His barrister, David Singh, said a psychologist had prepared a report on Jennings “which raised a number of concerns.”
Judge Thomas said he had read the report and noted that the psychologist had not diagnosed any particular mental disorder.
He said he would discuss the report with the probation service and would sentence Jennings on August 8.
He was further remanded in custody until then.
Continue Reading

News

London Bridge hero calls for Carmarthen’s bravest to be nominated

Published

on

Wayne Marques: Urging you to nominate a hero

THE HERO of London Bridge who was stabbed nine times as he fought off three terrorists armed with just a police baton has called on Carmarthen people to nominate an unsung hero of their own.

And British Transport Police Officer Wayne Marques said bravery and courage should be recognised because it is inspiring and encouraging to others.

He said: “Every tragedy has a silver lining and it is up to us to make sure that silver shines.”

Wayne, 39, who won the Against All Odds category in last year’s global hearing specialists Amplifon’s Brave Britons awards, was on patrol in the area of London Bridge Station when he heard screams on the evening of June 3 last year and then he saw people being stabbed in Borough High Street near the junction with London Bridge Street.

He charged at one of the terrorists lashing out with his baton. But soon he was being attacked by all three terrorists one stabbing him above his right eye which cause him to go temporarily blind in the eye.

More than 12 months on and Wayne still travels from his South London home to Harrogate, Yorkshire, where he receives rehabilitation treatment.

Seven people died in the attack and many more were badly injured.

Now Wayne is calling on people who know of acts of courage or bravery to nominate them for this year’s Amplifon – who have a store in Merlins Walk Shopping Centre, Carmarthen – Brave Briton awards.

He said: “I first felt surprised and then humble when I was nominated by a person I didn’t even know. The fact they had taken their time to fill in a form and nominate me made me feel very honoured. It would have been wrong for me to respond in any other way.”

Wayne added: “We need more people honoured in the way I was because there are a lot of people out there who go beyond what is expected of them for the sake of others.

“Even uniformed services personnel who do a job where they are expected to sometimes face danger go beyond that expectation and react to the highest magnitude.

“To nominate others and put them in the limelight is so inspiring and encouraging to others in their communities and around the country.

“Through adversity we as a nation tend to pull together. How we rally together makes this country great.”

There are six categories in the Amplifon Brave Britons awards: Against All Odds, Young Hero, Service To Their Country, Active Agers, Hero Pet, and Charity Champion.

Anyone who wishes to nominate a hero in any of the categories should visit http://www.amplifon.com

Finalists will be invited to an awards ceremony to be held at the Army and Navy Club, Pall Mall, London, on Tuesday, October 16.

A panel of judges including Falklands hero Simon Weston will also choose an overall Hero from the category winners who will win a trip to Italy.

Continue Reading

Trending