Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Warning after lifeboat launch route blocked

Published

on

BURRY PORT RNLI has asked drivers to be careful where they park after one of their emergency launch routes was blocked on Sunday afternoon (Jun 10).

Thankfully, the inconsiderate parking did not affect the two rescues carried out on a busy Sunday afternoon, but a spokesperson warned that had the crew been called into service again with the dropping tide, they would have been unable to launch.

“It is an offence to knowingly obstruct an emergency service. The access points are very well signed, so please help us and keep clear,” they added.

The first of Sunday’s calls came shortly before 3pm when an immediate launch was requested to assist two people cut off by the tide in the Old Harbour area.

The D class lifeboat was launched by 3.10pm, crewed by Gary Morgan, John Massocchi and Osian Bowen, and was on scene in two minutes. The casualties were located and ferried back to safety, one being a non-swimmer, and the lifeboat returned to the Boathouse within half an hour of receiving the shout for a wash-down.

As they were about to close down, they received a phone call from UK Coastguard, requesting assistance for two groups of people cut off in the Machynys area. The crews were re-paged and firstly the D class inshore boat was launched, crewed by Gary Morgan, Titch Evans and Jared Phillips, and once that was away, the Atlantic 75 Lifeboat was also launched crewed by Darren Sheppard, Rhydian Bowen and Paul Stewart.

The D class was on scene by 4.18pm, where it was found that the three children had been escorted to safety by members of the public. None had required any medical attention.

With both boats on scene, a sweep of the area confirmed there were no other persons in the water.

Both boats returned safely at 4.45pm. Both incidents were attended by the Burry Port UK Coastguard Team.

Continue Reading
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Ty

    June 13, 2018 at 8:17 am

    Sadly this happens everywhere, slip has no walls or anything to block the view of the lazy and the stupid parker

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Baby died an hour after birth following ‘failings’ by Health Board

Published

on

A BABY died just minutes after being born following failings by Hywel Dda Health Board, a damning report by the Public Services Ombudsman has found.

Callum James was born at Glangwili Hospital in Carmarthen on May 5, 2016, but died less than an hour later despite attempts to resuscitate him.

His parents, Ellie and Christopher James from Haverfordwest, complained that there had been a failure to monitor Callum’s development during pregnancy and to provide a birthing plan.

Mrs James also complained that the Health Board failed to respond to unusual pains during labour and to conduct necessary tests.

The report states there were also delays in Callum receiving treatment after he was born due to the First Consultant being sent to the wrong ward, delaying emergency treatment by 12 minutes.

The Health Board said that, in its view, there were no unnecessary delays in the attempts to resuscitate Callum, as the midwives in attendance had been trained in neonatal resuscitation.

In addition, the Ombudsman found that Callum’s death was also incorrectly registered as a stillbirth rather than neonatal death.

The report says Callum was ‘pale’ and ‘floppy’ at birth and immediately transferred to a resuscitation table where a team of medics worked for over half an hour to save his life.

The Ombudsman upheld the complaint that there had been a failure to monitor Callum’s development during pregnancy and labour and to provide a birthing plan.

Hywel Dda agreed to implement all of the Ombudsman’s recommendations, including providing Callum’s parents with an apology and £4,500 for the distress caused.

The Board also agreed to change Callum’s cause of death from ‘stillborn’ to ‘neonatal death’.

Continue Reading

News

3,000 Welsh landlords still unregistered

Published

on

JANET FINCH-SAUNDERS AM has called on the Welsh Government to urgently work to improve landlord registration under Rent Smart Wales, as estimates released indicate around 3,000 remain unregistered.

Ms Finch-Saunders said: “Rent Smart Wales estimates that still 3,000 landlords are unregistered here in Wales.

“Whilst that makes up a small percentage of our total landlords, it is most concerning for those living in properties leased to them by those who have not yet registered.

“The Welsh Government has confirmed that a landlord who is not registered with Rent Smart Wales is unable to serve a valid Section 21 eviction notice – so where unregistered landlords do indicate that they want tenants to vacate a property, this is not recognised by local housing associations, which can cause stress to tenants who may not be aware of their full rights under the law.

“By focusing on ensuring that all landlords are properly registered, the Welsh Government can alleviate such concerns, and I will be urging the Cabinet Secretary to act to ensure all landlords are abiding by this legislation in full.”

The Minister for Housing and Regeneration told Ms Finch-Saunders that the latest figures released by Rent Smart Wales show that 90,812 landlords are now registered. Rent Smart Wales’ latest estimate for the number of unregistered landlords is approximately 3,000.

This is based on the dwelling stock estimates recently published by StatsWales, and an estimation of the average number of properties owned by each landlord.

Continue Reading

News

Care home honour Armed Forces Day

Published

on

PLAS Y DDERWEN in Johnstown will be celebrating Armed Forces Day on Thursday, June 28, with a big brew up supporting SSAFA – the Armed Forces charity.

SSAFA – the Armed Forces charity, formerly known as Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association, provides lifelong support to serving men and women and veterans from the British Armed Forces and their families. Armed Forces Day is a chance to show support for the men and women who make up the Armed Forces community.

Janet Williams, Activities Coordinator, said: “It is very important that we keep the memories of those who fought alive and that we also think about those involved in conflicts around the world today. We welcome anyone that wishes to attend and will have the chance to meet the team and look around the home.”

Plas Y Dderwen is part of Barchester Healthcare, one of the UK’s largest care providers, supporting older people living independent lives over the last 25 years.

Barchester services include residential care and nursing care as well as expert dementia care.

Continue Reading

Trending