THERE’S just four weeks to go to the start of the prestigious Carmarthen Bay Film Festival in Llanelli.
The festival is now in its seventh year and continues to go from strength to strength.
A total of 699 entries were received for this year’s festival award categories, from film-makers worldwide.
The festival is being staged at Llanelli’s Stradey Park Hotel, from May 14-17.
All of the film-based events are free to the public.
“It is astonishing how the festival has grown in popularity from very small beginnings,” said Festival CEO and organiser Kelvin Guy.
“They say great things grow from little acorns and that is very true of the film festival.”
The Welsh fourth channel S4C will be sponsoring the awards dinner at this years’ festival.
“That just shows how much importance is being attached to the festival,” said Mr Guy.
“In recent years we’ve had added glitz and status as the event is on the approved list for BAFTA Cymru Wales.”
Mr Guy added: “The BAFTA abbreviation is pretty special in the world of film. The British Academy of Film and Television Arts is recognised as a hugely prestigious organisation worldwide. To get this recognition from BAFTA Cymru Wales is a huge honour and is a great achievement when you consider what the festival has achieved since it launched in 2011.
“Being on the list of approved BAFTA Cymru Wales festivals helps give added prestige and stardust to the festival, with entrants now being eligible for BAFTA awards as well as the ones on offer at the festival.”
Mr Guy added: “We hope the festival really catches the imagination of the public in Llanelli, Carmarthenshire and the rest of South Wales. It’s free. The only ‘pay’ part of the event is the awards dinner at the end.
“The festival will follow closely on the heels of the Celtic Media Festival at Ffwrnes Theatre, Llanelli, so it’s clear that Llanelli and Carmarthenshire is making headway in terms of being recognised for film, television and digital media.”
Entries for this year’s festival have come from all corners of the globe, including Syria, Hong Kong, China, Korea, Taiwan, Iran, Iraq, Israel and North and South America.
Mr Guy said: “The global response has been fantastic and I’d like to think that the festival is doing its best to put Llanelli and Carmarthenshire on the world map for film-makers.”
Pembroke Dock: Indian restaurant owner sexually assaulted teenager
THE OWNER of a Pembroke Dock restaurant who sexually assaulted the same girl three times has been made the subject of a suspended prison sentence.
Carmarthenshire man admits stirring up racial hatred against Muslims
London Bridge hero calls for Carmarthen’s bravest to be nominated
THE HERO of London Bridge who was stabbed nine times as he fought off three terrorists armed with just a police baton has called on Carmarthen people to nominate an unsung hero of their own.
And British Transport Police Officer Wayne Marques said bravery and courage should be recognised because it is inspiring and encouraging to others.
He said: “Every tragedy has a silver lining and it is up to us to make sure that silver shines.”
Wayne, 39, who won the Against All Odds category in last year’s global hearing specialists Amplifon’s Brave Britons awards, was on patrol in the area of London Bridge Station when he heard screams on the evening of June 3 last year and then he saw people being stabbed in Borough High Street near the junction with London Bridge Street.
He charged at one of the terrorists lashing out with his baton. But soon he was being attacked by all three terrorists one stabbing him above his right eye which cause him to go temporarily blind in the eye.
More than 12 months on and Wayne still travels from his South London home to Harrogate, Yorkshire, where he receives rehabilitation treatment.
Seven people died in the attack and many more were badly injured.
Now Wayne is calling on people who know of acts of courage or bravery to nominate them for this year’s Amplifon – who have a store in Merlins Walk Shopping Centre, Carmarthen – Brave Briton awards.
He said: “I first felt surprised and then humble when I was nominated by a person I didn’t even know. The fact they had taken their time to fill in a form and nominate me made me feel very honoured. It would have been wrong for me to respond in any other way.”
Wayne added: “We need more people honoured in the way I was because there are a lot of people out there who go beyond what is expected of them for the sake of others.
“Even uniformed services personnel who do a job where they are expected to sometimes face danger go beyond that expectation and react to the highest magnitude.
“To nominate others and put them in the limelight is so inspiring and encouraging to others in their communities and around the country.
“Through adversity we as a nation tend to pull together. How we rally together makes this country great.”
There are six categories in the Amplifon Brave Britons awards: Against All Odds, Young Hero, Service To Their Country, Active Agers, Hero Pet, and Charity Champion.
Anyone who wishes to nominate a hero in any of the categories should visit http://www.amplifon.com
Finalists will be invited to an awards ceremony to be held at the Army and Navy Club, Pall Mall, London, on Tuesday, October 16.
A panel of judges including Falklands hero Simon Weston will also choose an overall Hero from the category winners who will win a trip to Italy.
News2 weeks ago
Local MP in heated ‘nobody gives a f**k’ outburst
Sport1 week ago
Llanelli slip to defeat
Sport2 weeks ago
Pivac is Gatland’s successor
Sport1 week ago
Dafen and Felinfoel earn derby wins
News1 week ago
16-year-old arrested following suspicious house fire
News2 weeks ago
Ammanford man transported to Thailand after sepsis fight
News4 days ago
Three arrested following two assaults
Sport3 days ago
Felinfoel ease past Baglan