A DELUDED Garnant pensioner stabbed a pharmacist he believed was involved in the over prescription of medication, a judge heard this week.
Peter Bellett, aged 69, stabbed Michael Irons so viciously the four inch knife went through his left arm and he had to be flown by air ambulance to Morriston Hospital.
Bellett, of Wern Road, told police he felt he had to do something drastic to highlight his grievance.
Bellett admitted wounding with intent.
Before the case against Bellett was opened at Swansea Crown Court, consultant psychiatrist Dr Tom Rhodri Wynn said he had diagnosed him as suffering from a delusional disorder.
He said Bellett had known what he was doing but would have been less likely to do it if he had not been ill.
Paul Hobson, prosecuting, then explained how on December 5, 2016, Bellett had walked into the local pharmacy and waited until he was alone with Mr Irons.
He spoke to Mr Irons about his concerns “but did not get the answers he wanted” and pulled out a four inch knife.
Bellett stabbed him and tried to gouge out his eyes but Mr Irons managed to push him away and ran from the shop.
He took refuge in the doctors’ surgery opposite, where he received initial treatment.
Mr Hobson said doctors estimated he lost half a litre of blood and that the stab had been so severe it had left an exit wound.
While Mr Irons was making his escape Bellett himself called the police, telling them what he had done and adding that he would explain why when they arrived.
After being arrested he told the officers, “I could really do with a cup of tea.”
During interviews Bellett said he blamed Dr Duncan Williams, of the Garnant surgery, for over prescribing him medicine and Mr Irons for “going along with it and profiting from it.”
He said he had intended to seriously injure him but not to kill him.
His barrister, Dyfed Thomas, said his delusion in relation to medicines was global in nature and even involved the Freemasons.
In a victim impact statement Mr Irons said “the horror of those few minutes go round and round in my head.”
He added that he had worked in the pharmacy for more than 30 years but going back to work had been almost unbearable.
Mr Irons said he had since decided to sell the business.
Bellett was also appearing for child sex offences dating back more than 30 years when he had molested a six year old girl, which he admitted.
Judge Paul Thomas said he had carried out that attack without any concern for the effect it might have on her.
“There is no evidence that you were mentally ill at that time. You thought only of yourself and told her no-one would believe her if she complained.”
Judge Thomas said by 2016 Bellett had developed the mental disorder he now suffered from.
“It was an wholly unprovoked, premeditated, ferocious and determined attack on an unarmed man simply doing his job,” he added.
Bellett was jailed for a total of 10 years.
Initially he will be treated at the Caswell Clinic, near Bridgend, for his mental disorder and will be transferred to prison when psychiatrists deem him to be sufficiently well.
Ongoing success for Carmarthenshire sixth form students
THE HIGH quality of support and guidance received by sixth form students across Carmarthenshire’s schools continues to impact positively on the standards achieved at both AS and A Level.
The number of entries for AS and A Level examinations continues to increase, bucking the national trend and preparing students well for their future learning and career pathways.
The commitment and dedication shown by our students and their schools has resulted in nearly 78% of students achieving A*-C grades, reflecting an increase of 1.8% in comparison to results in 2017 and remaining comfortably above the Welsh national average of 73.8%.
Almost a quarter of the grades awarded, 24.8%, are A*- A, ensuring that our pupils are well placed when competing nationally for university placements, apprenticeships and career opportunities.
The improved outcomes are also reflected in the AS Level grades with 91.8% of entries being awarded an A-E grade. The increasingly effective learning opportunities on offer to our AS students have ensured a 4.6% increase in the A-E pass rate over the last three years.
The results have been warmly welcomed by Carmarthenshire County Council which has congratulated both students and schools, acknowledging the many inspiring opportunities that these encouraging grades will enable our young people to access.
Cllr Glynog Davies, Executive Board Member for Education, said: “Education in Wales is currently undergoing an exciting period of change and reform, reflecting the changing needs of our communities. The AS and A Level grades achieved by our pupils this year reflect, yet again, the successful partnership working between students, families, schools and the county council, equipping students with an aspirational range of learning opportunities. Students are very well prepared by our schools for the demands of the AS and A level examinations and they achieve highly as a result.”
“On behalf of Carmarthenshire County Council I wholeheartedly congratulate all of our students on the progress that they have made and on the grades that they have achieved. We wish you every success for the future.”
Director of Education and Children’s services, Gareth Morgans, added: “Our schools continue to prepare our students exceptionally well for the reformed AS and A Level qualifications that they have been working so hard towards over the last 2 years. The results achieved across Carmarthenshire this year once again reflect the dedication of our students, developing considerable resilience and a positive work ethic that will equip them well in their future studies and careers. I would like to sincerely congratulate them on all that they have achieved.”
“It is also pleasing to note the ongoing trend of 100% pass rates for both the Welsh first and second language courses, as well as in history, government and politics, English Language and literature and physical education, for example.
“The number of students achieving A*-A grades increased favourably this year, by 2.8%, reflecting the high expectations that we, and our schools, have of our young people.
“Warmest congratulations to all who have contributed so positively towards today’s success. Our students have many exciting decisions to make as they embrace their future journeys.”
Adam Price AM to launch his leadership campaign
PLAID CYMRU Assembly Member, Adam Price, will officially launch his campaign to be the new leader of Plaid Cymru today (Aug 17) in which he will outline his vision for Wales in 2030 with ‘seven steps to independence’ which, he will say, is a ‘clear and credible path to an independent Wales.
Mr Price will tell party members that the time ‘to talk in vague terms about independence as a long-term goal is over’.
Adam Price is expected to say: “The process of nation-building that will lead to independence has to start now without delay.
“Semi-policies and soundbites will not get us there.
“Welsh politics writ large can be seen as a battlefield between those with old ideas, new ideas and no ideas.
“Welsh independence is the biggest, most transformational, most radical idea of them all.
“Anyone who seeks to lead our party needs to set out a credible plan as to how we achieve it.”
In his ‘Seven Steps to Independence’ Adam Price will outline his plan which includes the election of a pro-independence government; passing a Wales 2030 Referendum Act; reducing Wales’ fiscal gap to 6% and increasing the Welsh economic growth rate by 1-1.5%.
Adam Price says the necessary legislation for an independence referendum will also provide for the holding of a referendum earlier than 2030 if the Welsh Government so chooses.
Speaking ahead of his launch in Carmarthen on Friday night, Assembly Member Adam Price said: “There is a growing number of people that are coming to the view that the only way in which we can face the challenges and grasp the opportunities of a changing world is to change Wales.
“And that change can only come through the most fundamental change of all: to own our own future as a people and a nation.
“Independence is the reason I joined Plaid Cymru and the reason I have remained a member for 36 years. I have always been consistent that we should make it our express purpose to achieve an independent Wales, and sooner not later.
“Independence can never be the safe or ‘middle of the road’ option.
“When we have tried to avoid saying anything that might frighten the voters we ended saying nothing at all.
“Over the coming weeks I hope to be able to convince party members that in electing me as the new leader of Plaid Cymru we will have a clear and credible path to an independent Wales.”
Red Roses: MP asks drivers for crash stories to improve safety
A LOCAL MP is asking drivers who have had crashes or near misses on the A477 junction to Red Roses to contact him following another smash on Saturday (Aug 11).
Philip Huw Davies posted on the Facebook group ‘Red Roses Village’ about a car which ploughed into him as he was waiting at the junction.
He says the driver of the other car mistook the section of road as a slip road in the rain.
Mr Davies said: “So our lovely junction to the A477 claimed my 4WD as its latest victim on Saturday when I was ploughed into by this car that mistook it for a slip road in the torrential rain.
“I’ve written to the Trunk Roads Authority asking if they’re waiting for a fatality before addressing the matter. I also went to see the MP yesterday and he’s going to speak to the Minister of Transport and the Assembly Member for transport.
“I’m also pretty tired of the abuse and aggression I get from drivers behind me when I’m slowing down enough on the main road, to take the junction safely.”
Mr Davies said he called an ambulance for the father of the other driver as he was bleeding from the nose. As a result he was transported to hospital by the Welsh Ambulance Service.
Now Simon Hart MP is asking for others who have had crashes or near misses to contact him with details.
Mr Hart said: “A lucky escape for the occupants of these two cars at the Pendine junction on the A477.
“There has been a lot of local concern about it yet Welsh Gov say they haven’t collated three years worth of evidence yet, despite that timescale elapsing nearly a year ago.
“So anybody else with experiences of this junction, let me know!”
News1 week ago
Fury over ‘unfair’ Carmarthen cinema prices
News23 hours ago
Life sentence for depraved father after sexually abusing daughter
News2 weeks ago
Petrolheads in for treat at Cruise Culture show later this month
News1 week ago
Police seeking man who bit woman’s hand at bar
Sport1 week ago
Welsh Premier League season begins
Sport4 days ago
Reds stunned by Nomads
News4 days ago
Police officers injured in early morning A48 crash
News5 days ago
Man arrested following fatal A484 crash