DYFED-POWYS POLICE have appealed for information after thieves stripped the lead from an historic bandstand in Carmarthen Park on New Year’s Day.
A statement released by Carmarthen Town Council, which manages the park, said: “We regret to advise our local community that on Monday January 1 a quantity of lead was stolen from the roof of Carmarthen Park Bandstand.
“The people responsible have caused major damage to our community bandstand and also to the CCTV cameras in Carmarthen Park.
“We urge the public to share this information and would be grateful for anyone with further information to come forward.”
Mayor Alun Lenny also asked any potential witnesses to speak to police: “Did you notice anything suspicious around 7pm? If so, please call the police,” he said.
“The park is a very popular venue and a lot of public money has been invested there. These criminals must be caught and punished.”
A Dyfed-Powys Police spokesperson said: “Dyfed Powys Police is investigating an incident of theft and criminal damage in Carmarthen Park. Sometime between 6:45pm and 6:50pm on Monday 1st January 2018 lead was stolen from the roof of the bandstand and CCTV cameras were also damaged. A male and a female were seen to be in the area at the time.
“Anyone with information that can help officers with their investigation is asked to report it by contacting PC 798 Watkin on 101. If you are Deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908.”
This is not the only theft of its kind to occur in Carmarthen in recent times. At some point in the last two months, a quantity of lead was stolen from the roof of the High Noon Stores building in King Street. Anyone with information about this theft is also asked to contact police
Man who breached restraining order three times jailed
A CARMARTHEN man who breached a restraining order three times within a month has been jailed.
Gary Rees, aged 47, admitted approaching a woman on December 27 and was jailed for 20 weeks.
Judge Paul Thomas told Rees, of Llys Picton, it was time for him to grow up and act his age.
Ian Ibrahim, prosecuting, told Swansea Crown Court that in November Rees was convicted of battery previously against the woman.
Magistrates issued a restraining order banning Rees from contacting her.
But on December 8 he breached the order and was fined, and five days later he did it again and received a suspended prison sentence of eight weeks.
On December 27 he again went to her home.
Mr Ibrahim said the woman opened the door to put out some rubbish and was startled to find Rees standing there.
She knew he was drunk and told him to leave but he pushed his way in and sat on a settee.
She then called the police and Rees was arrested and held in custody.
Judge Thomas told Rees that court orders had to be abided by.
Cold temperatures likely to lead to icy conditions
A YELLOW weather warning is in place over Wales from 10pm tonight (Jan 16) and 11am tomorrow morning (Jan 17).
As temperatures drop, there is a strong chance of ice patches causing dangerous conditions for motorists.
Icy patches developing with wintry showers also affecting some areas.
What to expect
- Some injuries from slips and falls on icy surfaces
- Probably some ice on some untreated roads, pavements and cycle paths
Next stage of works to clear Cwmduad landslide
PHASE two of the works to stabilise a landslide in Cwmduad has begun following the recovery of a lorry from the river below.
Carmarthenshire County Council is leading the operation to clear the site and re-open the A484 for traffic travelling between Carmarthen and Newcastle Emlyn, following the landslide in October.
Phase one, which commenced before Christmas, created a safe zone for the recovery of a lorry that was swept in to the river during the storm.
That recovery took place earlier today (Monday, January 14, 2019).
Phase two, to permanently stabilise the embankment, involves complex drainage and geotechnical works.
The highway structure will then be assessed before any indication can be given as to when the road will re-open.
The council has thanked the community, and affected commuters, for their patience whilst site assessments and works have been underway.
Ruth Mullen, Director of Environment for Carmarthenshire County Council, said: “We are now making progress in what has been a highly complex operation and legal process between the council, partner agencies and the landowner.
“We fully appreciate the impact this has had on the community, and we wish to reiterate that we have worked without delay to undertake site investigations in the immediate aftermath of the landslide, along with clearance and construction works to make the area safe.
“We are working as quickly as we can to re-open the road as soon as possible, and would like to thank those affected most sincerely for their patience.”
Until the road is re-opened, traffic will continue to be diverted along the B4333 Carmarthen – Newcastle Emlyn.
Additional bus services remain in place:
- A shuttle service currently runs from Cwmduad to Tycoch to catch the 460 service at 7.25am, 9.35am and 10.55am. Return journeys are at 2.25pm and 4.45pm.
- The 460 service is currently operating on a diversion route
News5 days ago
Three seriously injured in A40 crash
News2 weeks ago
Man dies following quad bike collision
Sport2 weeks ago
Loveridge brace earns vital win for Reds
Sport1 week ago
Old Gold charged by FAW
Sport2 weeks ago
First half blitz sets up Hendy win
News2 weeks ago
Children under 10 accused of rape, figures show
News1 week ago
Controversial council boss to step down
News2 weeks ago
Force bids farewell to Deputy Chief Constable