Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Education

Supply teacher scheme unveiled

Published

on

'Significant and important': Kirsty Williams highlights supply teachers

A NEW £2.7m project to improve the way supply teachers support schools was announced by the Education Secretary Kirsty Williams on Tuesday (Oct 24).

The new funding will support 15 local authorities to create new supply teacher arrangements across 86 schools. The project will support the appointment of around 50 recently qualified teachers who will work across groups of schools, covering teacher absence and supporting wider school improvements and learner outcomes.

The Welsh Government claims the new approach will nurture recently qualified teachers whilst also ensuring cover within schools. The pilot project will run during the current and next financial years and follows recommendations from the Supply Model Taskforce report published earlier this year.

Kirsty Williams said: “Supply teachers form a significant and important part of our teaching workforce. It is vital that they are an informed part of our system, so they are ready and able to support our national mission of education reform.

“I want to improve the way that our system currently employs, manages and supports our supply teachers. I am committed to ensuring that teachers who work flexibly in this way are well equipped, appropriately rewarded, and integrated into the teaching profession.

“This new funding is about being more flexible and innovative in our approach to covering teacher absence. Under our plans, our supply teachers will be supported in the same way that permanent teachers are.

“This approach will invest in and nurture recently qualified teachers whilst also ensuring that there is sufficient cover within schools to meet demands for ALN delivery and other specialist teachers including Welsh-medium teachers.”

The Welsh Government aims for any savings identified from school supply budgets to be re-invested to build capacity in the system to support schools to manage their supply needs in a more co-ordinated, collaborative and sustainable manner.

The National Education Union Cymru have welcomed the Welsh Government’s investment. The union recognise the importance of the pilot scheme but also warn that reform of the supply sector has been overdue for many years and further action will be needed to tackle the underlying concerns of the profession.

David Evans, Wales Secretary at the National Education Union Cymru, said: “The National Education Union has consistently called for a guaranteed year of employment for newly qualified teachers and so this proposal does offer some positive steps towards that. We can also support this as a move in the right direction towards a better supply system for teachers. Too long have those working as supply teachers been neglected and exploited. This pilot could very well lead to a new way of doing things that improves conditions for teachers and standards across our education system.

“However, we must also be honest in recognising that this can only be seen as the start of the changes that are required. While the investment is welcomed, and the Welsh Government is clearly acknowledging that action is needed to address the concerns within the supply sector, this will not solve the wider issues for supply teachers in general. While it will allow some newly qualified teachers to secure a foothold on their chosen career it won’t tackle the concerns of those vastly experienced supply teachers who need to be afforded the same opportunity.

“We will continue to campaign for a fairer and more equitable approach to supply teaching that does not leave teachers feeling marginalised and look forward to working further with the Welsh Government on the results of this pilot and other proposals in future.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Education

Josephine wins Welsh carpentry title

Published

on

Pursuing her passion: Josephine Jones

A COLEG SIR GÂR carpentry student has won the Welsh regional title of the Institute of Carpenters Carpenters’ craft competition.

Josephine Jones, from Saron, is in her first year of studying a City and Guilds diploma in carpentry and joinery at Coleg Sir Gâr’s Ammanford campus where she is also signed-up to the college’s shared apprentice scheme.

Following a specification set-out by Institute of Carpenters, Josephine set-about responding to the brief.

“The spec was quite complicated at first,” she said. “It involved intricate work which meant that creating strong joints was a challenge but I enjoyed it.”

Josephine also says that her first year of study helped prepare her for the competition where she learned about joinery, joints and the best tools to carry out the work. “Since I was a young girl I’ve always wanted to do a trade job,” she said. “But I was encouraged not to and guided into other careers.”

Finally pursuing her passion, Josephine added: “I love working with wood, I like working outdoors and doing something physical and I’m doing something different every day.”

The Carpenters’ Craft Competition is the only national competition open to students of carpentry, joinery and shop fitting. It gives outstanding students the chance to showcase their work and have it judged by leaders in the field.

Winners are presented with their prizes at a special ceremony held at Carpenters’ Hall

Continue Reading

Education

WIAV graduate wins Elizabeth Connell prize

Published

on

Winning 'a life changing experience': Katie Lowe

UWTSD has offered its congratulations to Katie Lowe, who has won the prestigious Elizabeth Connell prize.

Katie, who is a graduate of the university’s Wales International Academy of Voice, was awarded the prize at a special ceremony held in Sydney, Australia. The prize includes AUS $30, 000 and an audition at the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden.

Katie said: “Nothing prepared me for the shock of actually winning the ECP award. This is a life-changing experience and I intend to fulfill the promise that the esteemed judges have placed in me. It is a privilege to begin my dramatic soprano journey in Elizabeth Connell’s footsteps and I hope to do her memory proud.”

Katie is an English soprano who studied at the Wales International Academy of Voice under the tutelage of Dennis O’Neill. She graduated in 2014 and since then, she has gone on to receive numerous awards including the Ian Fleming Award MBF, Sybil Tutton Award MBF, Countess of Munster Award, Les Azurieles Young Artist Award, Dennis O’Neill Foundation Award and the Josephine Baker Trust. In 2016, she was awarded the Independent Opera Postgraduate Voice Fellowship at the Royal Northern College of Music.

Dennis O’Neill, Director of WIAV, said: “I was delighted to hear of Katie Lowe’s huge success in this very important competition and have sent her our congratulations on behalf of WIAV. It was always a joy to teach her and equally so to see yet another of our singers joining the profession at such a high level.”

The Elizabeth Connell is an annual prize-giving awarded to aspiring dramatic soprano. Finalists were chosen from auditions in Sydney, Melbourne, Moscow, Berlin, London, Zurich, Paris, and New York. For her winning performance, Katie performed the ‘Immolation Scene’ from Wagner’s Götterdämmerung and ‘Suicidio’ from La Gioconda by Ponchiello.

The Wales International Academy of Voice was founded by Internationally renowned Tenor Dennis O’Neill, and now part of the University of Wales Trinity Saint David’s, students will benefit from the expertise of a Master of his field and a world leading Educational Institution to prepare them for the ever changing pace of the Operatic Performance Industry.

The Academy provides a highly specialised and unique environment for a small number of exceptional singers and accompanists at the early stage of their professional career and recruits young artists globally. Students work with the best vocal technicians, coaches, visiting eminent conductors and international stars from the operatic world in order to develop their talent to the highest professional standards.

Continue Reading

Education

21st Century Schools’ £2.3b boost

Published

on

Largest investment in schools since 1960s: Announced by Kirsty Williams

THE WELSH Government has earmarked a further £2.3b to modernise education infrastructure, Education Secretary Kirsty Williams announced ​last Friday (Nov 10).

The money will allow the flagship 21st Century Schools and Education Programme – a major, long-term and strategic capital investment programme – to continue for a second wave of investment.

Band A of the programme will conclude in 2019 after a £1.4bn spend over 5 years. This second wave of investment, Band B, will comprise 2 funding streams; one using traditional capital, and one using revenue funding, via a new form of Public Private Partnership called the Mutual Investment Model (MIM).

Local authorities and further education institutions have proposed £2.3bn of projects, which meet the investment objectives of Band B of the programme including:

  • ​Addressing growth in demand for Welsh medium education
  • Reductions of surplus capacity and inefficiency in the system
  • ​Expansion of schools and colleges in areas of increased demand for educational services
  • Address condition of educational assets
  • ​Making assets available for community use where demand exists

The Welsh Government is committed to supporting all of these projects, subject to approval of business cases.

Speaking at the opening of Ysgol Cybi, a new 540 place Welsh medium primary school in Holyhead delivered by £9.7m of Band A funding, Kirsty Williams said​: “I am committed to raising standards, reducing the attainment gap and delivering an education system from the ground up that is a source of national pride and confidence. The 21st Century Schools and Education Programme is one of the means to achieve this ambition and represents the largest investment in our schools and colleges since the 1960s.

“The first wave of funding provided though the programme will see investment of more than £1.4b over the ​five-year period ending 2019, supporting the rebuild and refurbishment of more than 150 schools and colleges across the Wales.

“This is why I am delighted to announce a second wave of investment for the programme, which will begin in April 2019.

“We will work closely with our partners to agree the pace of delivery and put in place investment plans that are affordable and meet our shared ambition to create sustainable learning environments that meet the needs of our communities.”

Announcements on individual Band B projects will be made in conjunction with local authorities in due course.

Continue Reading

Trending