Connect with us


£10,000 of cannabis seized in Ammanford drug raid



DYFED-POWYS POLICE has arrested one man and seized cannabis estimated to be worth £10,000, following a drugs warrant in Ammanford.

The drugs were found while officers were executing a drugs warrant at Mill Road, Betws, yesterday (Aug 8).

A 23-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of possession with intention to supply a class B drug and has since been released under investigation while police continue their enquiries.

Acting Sergeant Tom Morris said: “We take drug offences in our community very seriously and will not tolerate people selling drugs. We will take action to disrupt criminals and bring them to justice.

“I would like to thank the community for their help and support. Reporting of this type of criminality is vital to keeping our communities safe.”

Anyone who has information that can help police with their investigation is encouraged to contact Ammanford Police on the non-emergency 101 number, or anonymously report it to Crimestoppers by calling 0800 555111.

If you are Deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired, text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Otter advice given after recent sightings



SIGNS advising members of the public about how to treat otters have been given to the Discovery Centre at North Dock after recent sightings in the area.

It is thought that the signs are a response to a group of swimmers approaching an otter in North Dock.

Darren Harries, Vice Chair of the UK Wild Otter Trust (UKWOT), said: “Part of our role lies in educating organisations and the public in the importance of having otters in the area. They also attract visitors to the area, so it is very important that both are able to coexist.”

Dave Webb, Founder and Chair of the Trust added: “We are seeing an upturn in facility use particularly in this area. We are aware of several otters being killed on the roads there and it is very important that any disturbance is kept to an absolute minimum.

“As a result of this, we have produced and supplied some helpful advice signs that will be placed at strategic points by Darren once they are ready for use.”

Dave has recently been awarded with the IFAW Conservation in Action award at the House of Lords and the welfare of the species is paramount to anything that the trust does.

Ian Humphries, Education officer for UKWOT said: “Education about the species is key to its success at breeding and ongoing welfare so we strive to give the information and help to those areas that may be lacking in knowing what to do if and when they do see an otter. Hopefully, the signs will help with that.”

Continue Reading


Nurses assaulted by patient



A CARMARTHEN woman who assaulted two nurses after she was hospitalised following concerns for her wellbeing appeared before magistrates at Llanelli Law Courts on Thursday (Oct 19).

Appearing in court via videolink from HMP Eastwood Park, Francesca Stokes, 35, of Bronwydd Road, pleaded guilty to two charges of assault by beating and a public order offence​.​

Prosecuting, Emma Myles told the court that on August 5 emergency services were called to Stokes’ home address following concerns for her wellbeing, and found her in her room in an unresponsive state, smelling of intoxicants.

When they managed to rouse her, Stokes became abusive, and paramedics decided that she should be taken to hospital. When she arrived, she became more aggressive.

Two members of staff attended to Stokes, and searched her handbag as part of the process. They found a lighter which Stokes grabbed, claiming she wanted to go for a cigarette. When she was told this was not possible, she lashed out at the nurses kicking both in the legs and causing immediate discomfort.

“This was an assault on medical staff who were trying to assist her,” Ms Myles remarked.

On August 13, emergency services were again called to Stokes’ house, where she was found ​i​n her bed smelling of intoxicants. When she was told that she had to go to the emergency ward, Stokes became abusive calling police officers ‘f***ing t***s’, and telling them not to talk to her.

She continued in a similar vein when taken out of her properties and continued her abusive tirade within earshot of her neighbours.

During the ambulance journey, Stokes asked if she could smoke and when told she couldn’t repeatedly cast aspersions on the paramedics’ abilities.

When waiting to be treated at the hospital, she continued to be abusive.

Representing Stokes, Laura Sherwood asked that credit be given for her early guilty pleas. She explained that Stokes, who had no previous convictions, was currently on remand for a matter which was being dealt with by Swansea Crown Court.

“She accepts that she carried out reckless acts, and should have let hospital staff continue searching her handbag,” Ms Sherwood added. “Fortunately there were no injuries caused.”

The court heard that Stokes had been suffering with mental health issues which had been the root cause of all her recent offending.

Magistrates fined Stokes £50 for the public order offence, which was written off for one day in custody.

She was given a 12​-​month conditional discharge for the assaults, and ordered to pay compensation of £50 to each complainant, costs of £85, and a victim surcharge of £20.

Continue Reading


Firefighters attend blaze at nursery



FIREFIGHTERS tackled a blaze in Lampeter at Meithrinfa Y Dyfodol nursery on Wednesday night (Oct 18) and stayed until the early hours of yesterday morning (Oct 19).

Dyfed-Powys Police and Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service attended the scene.

Nobody was injured.

A spokesperson for the fire service said: “We were called to reports of a fire at a property in Cellan, outside Lampeter, at 11.42pm on Wednesday.

“Fire crews from Lampeter, Tregaron, Tumble, and an Hydraulic Platform from Aberystwyth were sent to the scene.

“Crews, wearing breathing apparatus, used two hose reel jets, an aerial platform and thermal imaging cameras to extinguish the fire.

“Crews were in attendance until 3.03am on Thursday.”

Continue Reading