A RECORD turnout of more than 3,000 runners, teachers and spectators attended the popular Dyfed Primary Schools cross country championships last Thursday evening (Mar 16) held at the United Counties Showground in Nantyci, Carmarthen.
In what was an exciting evening of cross country running, Dyfed primary schools turned out in their numbers for the end of season finale now in its 30th annual year organised by Hedydd Davies Chairman of Carmarthen Harriers. Close to 1,500 runners from more than 75 schools in the district took part – passing the 2015 totals of 1,327.
The championships this year was sponsored by the West Wales Freemasons and McDonalds. Awards to the first ten in each race, first three teams and winning county were presented by the invited guests: Cllr Eryl Morgan Chairman Carmarthenshire County Council, Mrs Jean Morgan, Cllr Wyn Thomas Mayor of Carmarthen, Mrs Sylvia Perkins Mayorees of Carmarthen, Mr Ron Mounsey McDonalds, Mr Gareth Jones Cabinet Member Education, John Elward Vice President Welsh Athletics and Lionel Hughes West Wales Freemasons.
In the team competition there were five different team winners. Griffith Jones and Y Dderwen both had one win each while Gelli Aur, Gymraeg Aberaeron and Iau Llangennech won two team races each, and as a result with no points difference – were the overall joint team winners and will share the trophy. In the inter county competition Carmarthenshire won six races and Pembrokeshire two events.
The summer months will see the Carmarthenshire & Dyfed track & field athletics championships come to Carmarthen during May & June with the venue being the Carmarthen Leisure Centre track in Johnstown.
- Year 3 Girls: 1 Ophehia Jenkins (Tavernspite) 2 Tirion Yate (Dewi Sant) 3 Beatrice Morgan (Llangadog)
- Year 3 Boys: 1 Steffan Thomas (Teilo Sant) 2 Dylan Owen (Ffairfach) 3 Logan Owen (Gwenllian)
- Year 4 Girls: Kaitlyn Gwynne Jones (Aberaeron) 2 Mared Jones (Y Dderwen) 3 Casi Gregson (Carreg Hirfaen)
- Year 4 Boys: 1 Rowan Dickson (Hakin) 2 Cynyr McRae (Y Ddwylan) 3 William Harris (Hook)
- Year 5 Girls: 1 Erin Morgan (Y Dderwen) 2 Seren Davies (Aberaeron) 3 Bessy Hill (Y Ddwylan)
- Year 5 Boys: 1 Ifan Bowen (Y Dderwen) 2 Iwan Thomas (Parc Y Tywyn) 3 Harry Billingham (Tavernspite)
- Year 6 Girls: 1 Bethan Adams (Llangennech) 2 Lucy Wintle (Hafan Y Mor) 3 Keira Carmody (Model)
- Year 6 Boys: 1 Morgan Williams (Gelli Aur) 2 Rhys Jenkins (Aberaeron) 3 Jack Thomas (Johnstown)
A Carmarthen Harriers Athletics Club spokesman said: “The partnership between Carmarthen Harriers and Dyfed schools continue to grow and has already resulted in Carmarthen Harriers being awarded with the Welsh Athletics Partnership Award a number of times over the past few years, including in 2016 for its work with McDonalds.
“Thanks to all schools in West Wales for continuing to support the events arranged by the club in Dyfed, as was evident with the large number of visitors at last Thursday’s championships.”