Connect with us


Ammanford man threatened to shoot police officer



AN AMMANFORD man with ‘deep seated animosity’ towards the police made three telephone calls to Dyfed-Powys Police threatening to shoot their officers dead.

During one call Paul Anthony Evans, aged 32, named the officer he would kill.

In the following two calls he taunted the officers he was talking to by telling them that he was already looking at a policeman and if she spoke a ‘secret’ word he would pull the trigger.

Evans claimed to be holding a shotgun at the time.

Evans, then of Tycroes, admitted making three threats to kill and was jailed for 18 months.

Ian Ibrahim, prosecuting, told Swansea Crown Court how Evans telephoned Dyfed-Powys Police HQ in Carmarthen on February 20 and asked to be put through to Aberystwyth police station.

The call was taken by PC Sian Davies. Evans, who had programmed his phone not to display caller number, told her he was going to kill ‘PC Ayres from Newcastle Emlyn.’

Evans made two further calls to police HQ. During both he claimed to be holding a shotgun and looking at a police officer sitting in a car. If the officer he was talking to spoke a certain word then he would pull the trigger.

Evans used the words: “Pick your words carefully or someone will die. I’m serious.”

Mr Ibrahim said that despite Evans withholding his number police were able to trace it to his home.

And PC Ayres, who had been told immediately about the threat to his life, had already told fellow officers ‘It’s probably Paul Evans.’

Evans was arrested one hour and three minutes after making his final call.

He claimed during police interviews that his telephone had been stolen and someone else must have made the calls.

But when they were played back to him he admitted ‘it sounds a bit like me.’

Tom Scapens, the barrister representing Evans, said he had made all three calls from the lounge of his home and had never been looking at police officers or holding a shotgun.

Judge Paul Thomas said he noted that Evans had two convictions for assaulting police officers, and at least one for resisting an officer.

He said: “You have a deep seated animosity towards the police.”

Judge Thomas said Evans had caused ‘the maximum apprehension’ not only to PC Ayres but to others at Dyfed-Powys Police who were made to believe that if they spoke a certain word, which Evans never revealed or had never existed, then they would be responsible, indirectly, for the death of a colleague.

“You were taunting them. You are a disturbed individual and a dangerous one,” added Judge Thomas.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Council crews deal with fall-out of Storm Ophelia



CARMARTHENSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL staff had a busy afternoon and night dealing with the fall-out of storm Ophelia which battered the west coast.

The highways team dealt with 34 separate incidents throughout the county as extreme winds brought down trees, branches and electricity cables well into the early hours of this morning (Oct 17).

During the day the Met Office recorded winds of 75mph on Cefn Sidan sands, but the council received most calls during the evening, with the storm’s intensity seeming to peak between 4pm and 9pm.

Crews attended to clear fallen trees from Glandy Cross to Carmarthen, Llandovery to Llanelli where one tree fell onto a car in Vauxhall Street – thankfully with no injuries.

Electricity cables were brought down in St Clears with damage to property roofs in Water Street, Carmarthen, and Capel Hendre.

All routes were open this morning, but crews are now clearing debris along miles of road.

Cllr Hazel Evans, executive board member for environment, said: “Our frontline crews were out into the early hours of this morning in terrible conditions to clear and re-open roads. Back at base, our duty officers, contact centre staff and Careline agents also dealt with a large number of calls from members of the public. I’d like to thank all staff for their efforts, as well as farmers, landowners and police who helped throughout the storm.”

Continue Reading


Two hospitalised and dogs cut free after crash



TWO people have been taken to Morriston Hospital following a crash in the early hours of this morning (Oct 17).

Fire crews also had to cut two dogs free from the wreckage following the collision, which involved a 4×4 vehicle.

The collision took place between Pencader and Llandysul shortly after 1am.

A spokesperson for Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service said: “We received a call at 1.14am this morning to reports of a traffic collision three miles outside Pencader.

“Fire crews from Carmarthen and Llandysul had to release two dogs from the vehicle using small gear, a short extension ladder and lighting equipment.”

A spokesperson for the Welsh Ambulance Service added: “We sent two crews in emergency ambulances and a paramedic in a rapid response vehicle and two patients were taken to Morriston Hospital in Swansea.”

Continue Reading


Rugby player left needing surgery



A RUGBY player was left needing surgery after an unprovoked attack left him with a broken jaw.

Chris Rogers was in action for Ferryside against Pontardawe in a League 3 West Central C game on Saturday, October 14, when the incident occurred.

The Herald understands that a scuffle had broken out between a few other players towards the end of their match and that Chris was standing away from this.

It is alleged that a Pontardawe player came from behind and attacked Chris. He was treated at the scene and taken to Morriston Hospital.

Chris had surgery on Sunday night and the Herald were told that he was allowed home from hospital on Monday (Oct 16). His face is still swollen and he is still in shock from the incident.

Pontardawe’s secretary has called to see how the player is doing.

It was the first time the two sides have played each other and there was no apparent reason behind the alleged attack.

The police have also been informed of the incident.

Chris had to have a plate and wiring put in his jaw and the doctors have told him not to play again.

Ferryside Coach Nathan Jones told the Herald that Chris is totally ‘against violence’ and that it was very sad that this sort of thing had happened to him.

Chris and the Club have received much support from the wider community with a number of people saying that there is no place in rugby for something like this.

The Herald wishes Chris a full recovery from his injuries.

A spokesperson for South Wales Police told the Herald: “South Wales Police received a report of an assault on Sunday, October 15, at 09:46hrs, in connection with an incident the previous day (15:30hrs).

“Police are currently investigating the assault of the male. If witnesses have any information please contact 101, or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111 quoting occurrence: 1700401165.”

Continue Reading